VHF radio

CIVANO

I was fishing in Port Renfrew last week and noticed that some guys have really strong radios that I could hear from everywhere that I fished.Bananas was one of them. Any advise on antenae or radios with this kind of reach?

Thanks

good quality antenna as high as you can get it! fibreglass antennas break down over time and need to be replaced every 4 or 5 years. Some channels on the VHF are Lo channels , so they transmit at 5 watts instead of 25.

I have an older VHF radio but I don't have an antenae. Does anyone have a used one they might like to sell? Let me know..... Thanks, Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

I use the Icom M34 handhelds at my marina and am VERY happy with them. Maybe not as good a range as a basee unit, but they are quite rugged, float, and have a great battery life.
All good.

As far as I am concerned D I G I T A L is the answer. Because I have a boat low to the water and its tough to get my ant. up high ( the higher your antenna the better) I bought a DIGITAL antenna. I think it is a full wave length (8'). I couldn't believe the performance as compared to a basic one like a Shakespear. Apparently a DIGITAL ( brand name )is made quite differently than the standard ones with copper coil ( sorry I don't know exactly how its made but it works VERY well)
I paid more than 250 bucks for it but it is amazing. Can talk to Tahsis from Ferrer Pt. quite easily or across from vancouver Harbour to Gabriola , no prob. ...and its base is only about 4' off the water!! I have an ICOM radio but its mostly about the antenna... also the mic modulation is important too. BTW, I would not buy one of the shorter /half size 4' ant. unless I could get it very high up like on a sailboat mast.

it's been sometime since I did it. how do you put the radio plug onto the coaxal cable I remember something about solder

Spring time, The coax has a solid copper wire in the center and that is soldered in place in the center part of the connector ( PL259 I think its called) The outer braided copper sheath contacts the outer ring ( ground)I have usually had Ron Lo of Westcom do up my cables. He does work for NIKKA and some warranty repair.

I'm in Duncan and had Fred from FM Communications come to my boat and tune my antenna.He used some kind of meter then cut off appropriate amount of coax. he also installed a gold connector. Boat is in Cowichan bay and i can hear Vancouver Harbour control. Also get ferries in Active Pass and Nanaimo. Definately worth it.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

quote:Originally posted by spring time

it's been sometime since I did it. how do you put the radio plug onto the coaxal cable I remember something about solder

As this is the only "open" connection between the antenna and the radio, it's where the greatest amount of signal loss happens, particularly if it's not done right. There are solderless connectors out there now that are pretty good if you follow the instructions correctly. Trim your coax as short as you can -- leave a little loop of slack but not a large coil -- the shorter the coax the lower the loss.

Here are the instructions for the PL-259 solderless connector:

http://shakespeare-marine.com/pdf/pl-259-cp-g.pdf

This connector and the quality and height of the antenna make all of the difference. I wouldn't purchase a used antenna as they corrode and break down after about 5 years -- why risk your life to save $50?

Here is a good shoot-out covering all the major brands. Shakespear won this one. I believe that their best model for sport boats is the 5225 XT:

http://www.llelectronics.com/docs/awards/VHFAntennas.pdf

TenMile
<'((((><

Back