VHF Help

Skins88

Looking for some advice/info. My new boat has a built in 25 watt VHF with about a 10' antenna. Nice set up. Although all I could get on it was static (separate issue). I'm going to be installing a radar arch which will require the antenna to be moved and I also need a home for the radar display. The spot where the VHF is mounted would work great for the radar display. My console is really tight for space. So I'm considering ditching the built in VHF for a hand held. I've researched on line about range on these things and it's tough to know the real difference. I mostly fish Vancouver area, but am planning a trip to Bamfield and would like to venture off shore. So for the guys that fish these areas what do you use? If fishing big bank can I expect to be able to reach the CG via radio in a emergency? Or would I just be in range of boats in the area? I know the built in is better but is there a big enough advantage to warrant keeping it over the hand held. I like the idea that the hand held can go with you if you have to abandon ship.

Looking for some advice/info. My new boat has a built in 25 watt VHF with about a 10' antenna. Nice set up. Although all I could get on it was static (separate issue). I'm going to be installing a radar arch which will require the antenna to be moved and I also need a home for the radar display. The spot where the VHF is mounted would work great for the radar display. My console is really tight for space. So I'm considering ditching the built in VHF for a hand held. I've researched on line about range on these things and it's tough to know the real difference. I mostly fish Vancouver area, but am planning a trip to Bamfield and would like to venture off shore. So for the guys that fish these areas what do you use? If fishing big bank can I expect to be able to reach the CG via radio in a emergency? Or would I just be in range of boats in the area? I know the built in is better but is there a big enough advantage to warrant keeping it over the hand held. I like the idea that the hand held can go with you if you have to abandon ship.
Handhelds don’t have much range. If you’re doing lots of offshore running it is recommended to have both. I have a ditch bag close to my cockpit position that contains a handheld, mirror, smoke flares and a whistle

Handhelds don’t have much range. If you’re doing lots of offshore running it is recommended to have both. I have a ditch bag close to my cockpit position that contains a handheld, mirror, smoke flares and a whistle
You don't want to replace a 25 watt VHF with an external antenna with a handheld with rubber-duckie antenna.
The difference in range is substantial, say 2 nm line-of-sight compared to say, 25nm or more.
Definitely if you are at all thinking of anywhere outside the lower mainland you will want to keep your built-in unit.
As above, I have both (and also a ditch bag).

Raising the height of your VHF antenna by mounting it on your radar arch will also improve your range.

Some excellent advice on here already. VHF (verses MF) is line of sight. How far you transmit depends on the length of your antenna (the longer the better e.g. 1/4 wavelength), the strength (watts) of your radio (25w is way better than the 2-3 watts by most handhelds), and the height of your antenna (higher is better). Many have mentioned these factors already. Receiving is affected by these too - but sometime corruption on the contacts between the radio and the antenna can also limit the reception and cause static. Nice to have a charged hand-held in your ditch bag for emergencies, along with a pile of other goodies (handheld GPS, fuses, flares, tools, batteries, 1st aid kit, etc.)..

Back