VHF Antenna install on Malibu 185

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
I have a 185 Malibu Hardtop. The boat I just got didn't have antenna. I have a whip antenna with new radio didn't want the short one went with 9' standard one I had on other boat. I am just wondering how everyone installed there's. There is not much room just the roof, or the rail. Was thinking of rail mount and than going through hull with liquid seal gland or something like that.

Just wanted some ideas... Since I trailer all the time it needs to be able to flip down out of the way when transporting... That's why the roof thing doesn't seem to work...

I have two up on the roof near the back of the roof. I just tilt them forward when trailering. No problems. Being up on the roof they are up higher and they are out of the way. I don't know if you ever walk on the rails to get to the bow, but I think it would be in the way if mounted on the rail. My two bits :).

Mine are mounted on the bow ,mounted on ether side of the windows . That way you can fold the whips down and tuck under the bow rails .

Thanks guys. I can't really walk around my rail anyway.... But I do like Sculpin's idea on roof as it gives me way more line if sight. I will snap a pic tomorrow....

John so you have a pic of where your antennas are installed on roof?

Here is a bad pic. You can get the idea however.

I fold them down forward facing now. I know mine are mounted on an arch but yours would mount easily directly on the roof. Some good Sikaflex under the mount and your golden ;).

Cheers,
John

I've got mine mounted just below the window next to the rail so it's not really in the way of anything. And that's on a Malibu 175.

That's is where I also mounted mine on a 175 Malibu.

Here is a bad pic. You can get the idea however.

I fold them down forward facing now. I know mine are mounted on an arch but yours would mount easily directly on the roof. Some good Sikaflex under the mount and your golden ;).

Cheers,
John

BTW the lighting you did looks cool.

you could do a rail mount on the hardtop grab rail?
agreed tho higher is better

Thanks for the info guys. I am designing a few arch options IN CAD of a rocket launcher/basket, so I may incorporate the mounting it to that... Depends on how fast I can get it done when I hand over the drawings... But I think anywhere on roof is the way to go..

I ended up going with option 1 farther forward, and with a thru hull fitting for wire. It wasn't that bad...Antenna is very high will get awesome range...I mounting a clip on side of roof so it can be folded down when trailering..

Back