Vet says Disease Good for Herring - What can we do!!!

Whole in the Water

Recent email from Alexandra Morton - Please take a moment to read and send a quick email to the Agriculture Minister to help sort them out!
Please also consider supporting Alexandra in her hard work to protect our precious wild salmon in BC. Thanks.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Hello

So many of you wrote to DFO following my report of the school of bleeding herring, that I got an answer from DFO on the first working day after your emails! Thank you very much for your help.
DFO has agreed to try to catch some herring and test them, I will be following up on this.
But yesterday the Globe and Mail published a story on this is which the BC farm salmon vet is quoted saying a limited outbreak of a disease known as VHS could actually be good for BC's herring, completely ignoring a very recent DFO publication that strongly suggests the opposite. He does not even know that these fish have VHS, or does he? I wrote the Minister of Agriculture to register a complaint and posted it on my blog: http://alexandramorton.typepad.com I am writing to ask for your help again. Please consider writing to the Minister as well and perhaps we will get an answer from him too.
As we enter the turbulent era of climate change it is going to be very important that we can believe our governments. I think that as citizens we need to help them be more accurate when communicating to us about resources as valuable as herring. I believe it is our duty as citizens in a great democracy that we do not allow comments to stand that ask us to ignore degradation of essential natural systems. We are not lacking for intelligence and we need to be informed accurately of the risks we face.

Minister Pat Pimm's address is:
AGR.Minister@gov.bc.ca
I am keeping a log of this incident on my blog and so you can check back there for updates. Thank you again for your help with DFO. I think the good people in government need us to speak up in large numbers so they can do right by us.
Alexandra Morton
If you would like to support this work financially: http://www.gofundme.com/FishFeedlotsOut

Back