Verado/Suzuki or Etec

Don't forget that there are different props available that can satisfy the thrust/speed needs....
A friend of mine just replaced his kicker (9.9 Yammi HT) with a Suzuki 20 hp. This is on a 24 foot Osprey. He is happy with the change so far. The side benefit to the regular 20 is it will push his boat 11 mph instead of the 5 to 6 with the Yammi if he ever has to come home on the kicker.
...Rob

I’m a Yamaha guy through and through just sold my f250 xca and replaced it with a 300. Have the 9.9 high thrust which can pretty much run hard and stands up to all the tests in my opinion. I fish hard on the west coast and all the boats at the lodge I’m at are Yamaha’s to me just really proven motors over the last 10 years with the fly by wire controls. I would change for all the tea in China I had 1500 hours on my 250 and only had to replace one fuel pump at 400 bucks in 8 years not that’s reliability. I got mine from port boathouse cane with a 5 year warrenty it’s thier promo right now. Have 20 hours on it got the 20 hour service and winterized and put away. Fresh power ready to rock come April 1 st can’t wait. Whatever you decide just do r buy anything from checkpoint thier crooks. Believe me I have multiple stories.

Tight lines
Billydoo

Thanks for all the reply’s guys.

Im sure they are all great motors! I actually had the opportunity to run a Yamaha 70hp this summer with 3700hrs and it never missed a beat! But after stopping into a bunch of shops and getting quotes from all over the island I decided on the Verado and pro kicker.

Looking forward to getting it all rigged up and back out on the water!

Been running Suzuki’s on my charter boat since 2006. Outstanding service from Breakers. Very good company that totally stands behind their power. I can’t say that of Mercury where I had a bad experience on a new engine with less than 50 hours. A guide buddy of mine had terrible experience with Yamaha on his 300 that exploded with under 800 hours, so not feeling too good about those too. And what warranty did Yamaha offer?? Zero. The new 20 hp kicker with fuel injection is very sweet. Highly recommend that kicker over the crappy 9.9 Yamaha that I pulled off my boat because it was gutless

A friend of mine just replaced his kicker (9.9 Yammi HT) with a Suzuki 20 hp. This is on a 24 foot Osprey. He is happy with the change so far. The side benefit to the regular 20 is it will push his boat 11 mph instead of the 5 to 6 with the Yammi if he ever has to come home on the kicker.
...Rob

I think your friend may be exaggerating a bit as the hull speed of a 24 osprey is about 6kts. In order to go faster you would need substantially more than 20 hp to overcome the resistance of the bow wake . I had a 26’ glass boat with twin 155 hp i/o packages. I could push that boat to about 10kts with one motor and much throttle. It burned a crap ton of fuel running this way also.

I think your friend may be exaggerating a bit as the hull speed of a 24 osprey is about 6kts. In order to go faster you would need substantially more than 20 hp to overcome the resistance of the bow wake . I had a 26’ glass boat with twin 155 hp i/o packages. I could push that boat to about 10kts with one motor and much throttle. It burned a crap ton of fuel running this way also.

We have a 24 osprey long cabin
8 horse yammy ht .. ...in the current and wind it pushes 3-4 mph full throttle.
On a calm day no wind on the banks it goes 5-6 full throttle....and this has been tested for 7 years.

I will have to travel for service and install for all motors as I am not using any of our local dealers in nanaimo...

Etec has the best warranty followed by Suzuki, then merc. I think both etec and Suzuki's extended warranty is offered by third party's.

There is a great Suzuki dealer in Port Alberni. I have a 2009 Suzuki DF 140 and will never run anything but. Runs great, very quiet and at a $1.60 a liter, very fuel efficient.

Yamaha makes the best kickers that's a fact, whether your a Yami fan or not. Pick Suzuki for the main out of your choices if you don't want to run a Yami 300. What I will say is the Yami 300 is one hell of a motor so I wouldn't over look it as an option. Yes I've heard of one going and it was a 2013 and older motor which has a 3 bolt main on the crank they since fixed that and went to a 4 bolt main on the crank which fixed a weakness 2014 forward. The market share all over the world is owned by Yamaha and if you here of one bad one out of hundreds of thousands of motors on the water I would say that a very reliable brand. I do know guys who have run Vrods and years later end up switching to Yami and never look back.

Buy what you like of course with that said you won't be let down by the reliability of your Yami, Suzuki is a contender as well. The old saying you can learn from people that have been around the water for years or you can learn your own lessons :)

Back