Best 200hp Engine

kaelc

Looking at repowering in the next little while. What do you guys think of the 200hp options out there. Specifically the ones below. I have a potential deal on a used low hour tahatsu branded Honda 200hp which would swap with my controls/ kicker staying in place but Suzuki has me leaning new from the performance numbers of the 175 which seems to be the same block as the 200. Thanks some of the guys who have warned me about the 200hp i4 yami, it is now off my list. Any recommendations for or against these three? I’d go new Honda but the price seems high and they are tough to find.

Honda last generation 2017
Suzuki new
Mercury new

How much are you saving with the Honda? I’m guessing the others will be close to $30k after controls, guages, prop, install and tax.
if the Honda has low hours and a printout and is under $12k I’d go for that.

One of my good buddys at Telegraph Cove has a 200 Suzuki on his 22' Raider and it's been awesome .He is religious about service at the dealer for everything. It is so quiet that one time when I moved his boat for him , after I tyed it up for him I got in a conversation with another guy on the dock and started to walk away before shutting it off because I couldn't hear it running. It is the smoothest running outboard I have ever heard , or not heard depending how you look at it

I’m still loving my Yamaha I4 200. Quiet, smooth, tons of mid range for powering through swells. Very fuel efficient on my set up. I’ve heard they lack torque on a heavy setup, but any i4 200 would.

Mercury 200 four stroke. Rpm in port for pricing V6 lots of torque, fly by wire
A true 200 (3.4l) vs the juiced rendition of the 150 that zuk and Yam (around 2.7l) put out. If you want to bring your revs down at cruise and have better low end grunt the merc would be a good option. The i4s make the extra 50 ponies over the 150 rendition at high rpm (which most of us never use anyhow).

Don't know anything about Honda as the parts availability and lack of support keep them away from the charter fleet here.

If you don't really need the 200 grunt, I'd go with whatever dealer you like best locally. Zuk/ Merc/ yam, all good engines.

What is wrong with your Honda Other than they are heavy and lack low end torque?
otherwise the fact honda made roughly a bazillion v6 vtec motors that are proven workhorses. I will be sticking with mine until it grenades which will be in the year never

Last edited:
What is wrong with your Honda Other than they are heavy and lack low end torque?
otherwise the fact honda made roughly a bazillion v6 vtec motors that are proven workhorses. I will be sticking with mine until it grenades which will be in the year never
Keeping it is definitely an option I’m weighting. My 150hp isn’t heavy, pretty much the same as new 200hp, it’s the extra 50hp and the small chance of grenade. Really thinking about more offshore trips and longer trips in the coming years. Working motor with 1100 hours is worth a lot, grenade and it’s worth $100.

Fuel economy is also a consideration but marginal as I have a 100g tank and just the tax I’d pay in used motor much less new would take years to make up on a little more mpg.

Mercury 200 four stroke. Rpm in port for pricing V6 lots of torque, fly by wire
Thanks @seabeyond and @salmonkiller01 I like the idea of the bigger block rpm looks good on pricing, no C-Dory I know is running 200hp Mercs. Any guys rolling over 2000-2500 Hours with the newer blocks yet? How do you get torque ratings?

Working motor with 1100 hours is worth a lot, grenade and it’s worth $100.
For what it's worth, I had approx 3000 hours on a Honda
before the gear case cracked for the second time.
Mechanical inspection showed the engine was running fine.

It’s tough to beat the Suzuki DF200, especially if you’re running twins. The “AP” “ series has selective rotation: you can determine whether you have a right hand spinning L/U or a left hand spinning L/U by removing a module in the power head.

Carry just one spare prop which will cover the bases for whether it goes on the “R” or the “L”

They also get high marks for being fuel-sippers and for being extremely reliable

Basically boils down to choose your dealer

Hondas don't have much dealer support like stated above, however that is about to change for Canada as Honda is now going to allow Tohatsu Branded Hondas in Canada starting 2023. Which is great for Honda. No need for Honda support as Tohatsu has a north american parts distribution unlike any other Japanese or stateside OEM. Which means you don't have to rely on Canada stock parts, its pulled from a north american warehouse that serves all of North america. They will be in our lineup and we're pretty excited about it

Suzuki is having a hard time with supply and parts. Big time.

Basically boils down to choose your dealer

Hondas don't have much dealer support like stated above, however that is about to change for Canada as Honda is now going to allow Tohatsu Branded Hondas in Canada starting 2023. Which is great for Honda. No need for Honda support as Tohatsu has a north american parts distribution unlike any other Japanese or stateside OEM. Which means you don't have to rely on Canada stock parts, its pulled from a north american warehouse that serves all of North america. They will be in our lineup and we're pretty excited about it

Suzuki is having a hard time with supply and parts. Big time.
Spoke to breakers this week. They said 2023 would be the worst inventory year yet for 150 and up. Big supply issues.

Spoke to breakers this week. They said 2023 would be the worst inventory year yet for 150 and up. Big supply issues.

Yep. Good luck getting a suzuki engine this year. I don't want to spill the beans however I will say it's not good for Canadian dealers

It's good news for Tohatsu. They deserve it anyway. They been doing it the longest. Since evinrude quit, it's not been nice. I think tohatsu and Honda will end up with a large portion of the pie in the end. We'll see

I run twin Suzuki 200's and can't say enough good things about them. Very quiet, efficient, and reliable plus the warranty is 5 years. Sherwood is a big Suzuki dealer and while you may have to order one, they seem to be able to get them.

Another vote for 200Hp Suzukis - running a pair of them on my Silver Streak and they are great. As said, super quiet and smooth!

Back