Vancouver Island Salmon Classic

I don't like the sounds of that Pro. Can you put some presure on this guys to move the cash into a derby account.My team has already paid up. This makes me a little nervous! Cheers FC

I want to find out if the marina in Sooke is a completely separate entity with no bank ties to the one in Parksville. If there is no bank connection then I'm less concerned. If not, whats to say the bank doesn't seize all assets and bank accounts to recover any debts incurred in Parksville....including the 360K of derby money.

I want to find out if the marina in Sooke is a completely separate entity with no bank ties to the one in Parksville. If there is no bank connection then I'm less concerned. If not, whats to say the bank doesn't seize all assets and bank accounts to recover any debts incurred in Parksville....including the 360K of derby money.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Final payment is apparently back to the advertised June 30th instead of the 15th. It mighty be worth asking the organizer how the money is being held. It sounds like it is going into the resorts general revenue accounts and not into a separate account. One of their properties up island is in receivership, so that could be a concern.

Wow..

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Final payment is apparently back to the advertised June 30th instead of the 15th. It mighty be worth asking the organizer how the money is being held. It sounds like it is going into the resorts general revenue accounts and not into a separate account. One of their properties up island is in receivership, so that could be a concern.

Wow..

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Rick Horn the marina manager wanted a chat, so that we did. He personally assured me that there are no ownership or company ties to the up Island property in question. Just to be clear I no longer have any organizational ties to the tournament and my only involvement is as a participant.

Rick Horn the marina manager wanted a chat, so that we did. He personally assured me that there are no ownership or company ties to the up Island property in question. Just to be clear I no longer have any organizational ties to the tournament and my only involvement is as a participant.

Having just sat down with Rick to go over our derby, I would have the confidence that the Classic will run smooth under his helm. He seems driven and by the book. Just my perception FWIW.

the derby may go on but now that profisher is out who will be guarding the salmons rights Rick said that they would post their obligations reguarding their salmon enhancement efforts before the end of the month so people could voice their ?????? before they pay the outstanding balance on there tickets.Sounded just like the things that were said last year about this time (the same owners as last year)maybe if you let them know how you feel before you pay, it might help unless of course, you support for profit derbys
maybe i have posted this in the wrong place i'll try saltwater forum
conserve your catch

another followup here having just done the Consultants Invitational there yesterday - he bent over backwards on short notice. He thought of all the little things that needed doing and would help to improve our event, he used alot of his own time, he has an organized sidekick (Marina), and the only hitch throughout was misplacing a folder that had a couple of the raffle prizes in them (found in time). I would be comfortable in the 'staging' of the event. I can't talk of the financial side of things and the bigger picture of the owners as that side of it was never involved with us. It is possible that a few of our committee guys will help out with the Classic (and our emphasis obviously is SSE) - I imagine we will figure that out in a couple weeks.

Anyhow, it is what it is, and that is just my viewpoint having worked closely with him and his crew the last few weeks. Hope that helps for those that have put down their money.

quote: the derby may go on but now that profisher is out who will be guarding the salmons rights

Nobody, what makes you think anything will be different this year? They'll fubar it and claim there is no money left over for SSE.

Another kill derby giving nothing back, too bad there will be the few sooke river chinook in the area getting beat on with nothing in return.

Let it die, its not worth saving.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Good luck to everyone who has entered, I will be watching from the sidelines this year. I hope I don't land a big one over the weekend!!!

This will appear in the letter to the editor in tomorrows Sooke News Mirror.

I want to make a public apology to the community of Sooke. In October of 2008 I emailed the manager of the Sooke Harbour Resort with a brief outline of what would later become the Vancouver Island Salmon Classic. At the initial meeting in December I briefed a selected group of interested parties (6 or 7 people) who all were prepared to volunteer their time and efforts to make this a reality. I was very specific that there were to be three primary reasons for holding this tournament. Number one was a sizeable donation from proceeds to local salmon restoration projects. Number two was to help put Sooke on the sport fishing destination map. The third was to promote the resort. A sold out event would fill the resorts rooms with persons who would otherwise likely never stay there. Maybe even sell a unit if they were fortunate.
At that initial meeting everyone including the manager at the time and one of the resorts investors agreed that a sizable donation to local salmon projects was essential if we were to obtain community support. Sadly this has not happened and the Vancouver Island Salmon Classic is not much more than a private for profit derby. Some of the ownership group do not seem to appreciate the hard work put in over the years buy many local volunteers to save and restore local salmon populations. Salmon runs that support their business directly. My thought in the beginning was that this tournament would result in a few local Chinook salmon being caught, but the money raised and donated would result in many more being put back.
If I had to do it all over again I would have approached a non-profit society and worked with them to create what would have truly been a great event for Sooke. Do it all over again? We’ll see, time will tell. To those of you who I talked to personally in the very beginning that opposed this tournament I do apologize. You felt this would be a “for profit tournament” and I assured you that a donation was the number one priority. Lesson learned. It is sad you can’t just take people for their word.

Rollie Rose, Victoria, B.C.

I ended up participating in 2010 at the last moment when asked to help a team that had major boat issues that left them without a ride. I agreed to a 1/4 split of any winnings in return for myself and my boat for the 2 days fishing. My goal was to donate $24,000 of the $25,000 I might (and hoped to) have won to the Charters Creek project. I would have kept the $1,000 to recover the deposit I gave up when I dropped out initially. I would then donated the rest to personally make up for what was supposed to have already happened.

Back