Vancouver Chuck

quote:Originally posted by demco99

where u finding the springs cohochinook? wanna target them, tired of socks... u hittin em on sockeye gear??
Hooked them with sock gear. North arm and bell.

Decided to ruff it out and drop the lines regardless of the savage seas today. Made our way out to the bell through 4 to 5 foot rollers . Went a bit further towards QA and trolled in with the wind and started hitting fish right off the bat. Getting the fish in the boat was a struggle today , spit hooks , failed nettings tangles with the upper rods you name it. Think we were getting a bit spoiled limiting in 1.5 hours each day. The water finally died off , the sun was blazing and we ended up at the bell with 5 in the box and decide to troll in through the mile markers looking for a spring. I had heard some promising reports. Trolled in and decided to clean the fish in the box , right around the 2nd marker I look up from for minute to see my rod going crazy , drop the knife kick the sock aside pop the rod out off the holder and its on . Hooked into a beast of a fish spooled out may times , near miss with a seal but in the end I had my first tyee in the boat , 33.5 lbs red spring . Fish hit at 620pm high slack at 36 ft

Spring hit my top rod in 98 ft of water down at 36 tf. Was running a watermelon flasher ( silver pink green with black dots ) as I LOST MY GREEN GLO earlier in the day . Flasher was armed with a big uv white hoochie with tandum hooks and I think a 28 inch leader this set up works for the sockeye too. Trolling pretty slow . Was pretty lucky to get it in as we didn t pull any of the other three rods or riggers like we usually do with larger fish . When the monster surfaced for the first time I thought oh great I 'am being sealed turns out the seal was still to the out side of us and the fish was so big and powerful it just looked like a big black seal . WILL POST PICTURE SOON.

dmurph. congrats on 1st tyee! good to see a few nice fish so close to Van. I'm heading out this afternoon so hopefully your fish had some buddies. Anyone been out this morning? How's the weather? Wind is blowing a bit but I haven't talked to anyone on the water. Any update would be helpful as I hear it was pretty sloppy yesterday.

Just got off the phone with my buddy and he said it's just like it was on Saturday ......and i'm sitting in the office !!!![V]

quote:Originally posted by Tempest 23

Just got off the phone with my buddy and he said it's just like it was on Saturday ......and i'm sitting in the office !!!![V]

Me too. With holidays and work yesterday morning was my first shot at getting out and with the wind it was not an enjoyable morning and only one fish in the box to show for the effort. Hopefully the good weather will hold for a few days so I can get back out there.

quote:Originally posted by dmurph

Decided to ruff it out and drop the lines regardless of the savage seas today. Made our way out to the bell through 4 to 5 foot rollers . Went a bit further towards QA and trolled in with the wind and started hitting fish right off the bat. Getting the fish in the boat was a struggle today , spit hooks , failed nettings tangles with the upper rods you name it. Think we were getting a bit spoiled limiting in 1.5 hours each day. The water finally died off , the sun was blazing and we ended up at the bell with 5 in the box and decide to troll in through the mile markers looking for a spring. I had heard some promising reports. Trolled in and decided to clean the fish in the box , right around the 2nd marker I look up from for minute to see my rod going crazy , drop the knife kick the sock aside pop the rod out off the holder and its on . Hooked into a beast of a fish spooled out may times , near miss with a seal but in the end I had my first tyee in the boat , 33.5 lbs red spring . Fish hit at 620pm high slack at 36 ft

Congrats Dave! Way to go and thanks for the heads up on Saturday.:D

Great conditions out there this afternoon. Little choppy coming out of false creek to Pt. Grey but once out there the seas were friendly. We hung out with tons of boats off Pt. Grey for a little while but didn't hit anything so headed south to Sandheads and limited out within a couple hours. Had probably 25 fish on the lines in 3 hours. Let some go on purpose and a few not on purpose. Very solid day on the water. Killer whales at Middle Arm so we headed just south of them. No nookies in the boat but won't complain with limits on sockeye!

Have to think back some time to remember it being this good for sox round here, but ya, it has happened before. But this run is still coming strong, no let up so far. What a gas, to bad a guy needs so much gear for success, great looking fish, the Orcas had one heck of a feed yesterday, tubbed out before they showed up today, nice to see them healthy and doing well too, great for tourism. Man I'm tired of Sox, hahaha, never thought I'd say that. Go get your share everyone !

Have fun !

45 to 70 feet our favorite. Red flasher, 22 to 28 inch leader, BANGIN EM !

HT

Picking up on a comment in another thread regarding the sockeye fishing ("It's not fishing, or angling, it's simply catching"), any opinions on the best spot to fish, or angle, locally for springs this weekend vs. (meat) fishing for sockeye?

p.s. went to fill up with gas in Coal Harbour last night and it was hard to believe how few boats were at the mouth of the Cap on an evening flood ... what a difference a few (million) sockeye make.

quote:Originally posted by Teja
p.s. went to fill up with gas in Coal Harbour last night and it was hard to believe how few boats were at the mouth of the Cap on an evening flood ... what a difference a few (million) sockeye make.

Ayup!! Way better to get out there for the harvest and the springs/coho (know a guy that got 4 ho's down by Tswassen the other night) that are moving through instead of trying to catch coho that have likely been stacked up in front of the Cap waiting for some water to get up river. ;)

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

quote:Originally posted by Teja

....any opinions on the best spot to fish, or angle, locally for springs this weekend vs. (meat) fishing for sockeye?
Same spots/depths as always just go faster using Spring gear.
IMGP0592.jpg

Great day out there today for sox. Fish jumping everywhere. And hello hit a nice marble spring near the airport too. [8D]

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Back