Vancouver Boat Show 2024

I spent a few hours at the show yesterday. The boat prices were stupid and what was more "interesting" was the show discounts (basically non existent) on some of the higher end boats (Ranger Tugs being one). I should have taken a photo of the price sheets and "discounts".

Spent some time talking to Sarah and Jeremy from Breakers Marine (where we bought our motors).

The businesses and government agencies around the circle had the most interesting stuff for me.

Word to the wise If you need to buy food/drink do it at the larger lower lever food court.

I hadn't dressed for success (Plaid shirt and a pair of clean but well worn pair of Marks dockers ) and not one of the boat salespeople came and spoke to me. I stood around at the boarding areas at a few brands and smiled at the staff who were just standing there and made eye contact with them and no one even acknowledged me .

My 2 year growing my hair out for cancer wigs project has been an interesting social experiment.

Of course the smaller businesses outside on the circle like Pacific Net & Twine, Harbor Chandler, and all the volunteer and government agencies were greeting everyone with a smile and were all willing to engage folks.

Yikes, 30% cheaper?
Not able to tell, as the clones looked to be the bigger versions, and Galleon was displaying the name brand smaller sizes from 1450 - 2250 size.
The brokerage might be doing the clones on consignment for the group that brought them over, as I don't want to assume they are "dealers" per se.

I spent a few hours at the show yesterday. The boat prices were stupid and what was more "interesting" was the show discounts (basically non existent) on some of the higher end boats (Ranger Tugs being one). I should have taken a photo of the price sheets and "discounts".

Spent some time talking to Sarah and Jeremy from Breakers Marine (where we bought our motors).

The businesses and government agencies around the circle had the most interesting stuff for me.

Word to the wise If you need to buy food/drink do it at the larger lower lever food court.

I hadn't dressed for success (Plaid shirt and a pair of clean but well worn pair of Marks dockers ) and not one of the boat salespeople came and spoke to me. I stood around at the boarding areas at a few brands and smiled at the staff who were just standing there and made eye contact with them and no one even acknowledged me .

My 2 year growing my hair out for cancer wigs project has been an interesting social experiment.

Of course the smaller businesses outside on the circle like Pacific Net & Twine, Harbor Chandler, and all the volunteer and government agencies were greeting everyone with a smile and were all willing to engage folks.
You had that "I just built my dream boat and cannot believe how lucky I am not to be buying off the floor" look. That is kryponite to the boat sales dudes.
Long hair and a mac shirt? All you be missing is a Lucky beer in hand!!

You had that "I just built my dream boat and cannot believe how lucky I am not to be buying off the floor" look. That is kryponite to the boat sales dudes.
Long hair and a mac shirt? All you be missing is a Lucky beer in hand!!
Yeah, I understand. I didn't dress to un "impress.: I am just more comfortable in retirement clothes . I learned a long time ago to never gauge a person by what they look like. Lots of people in sales never learn that.

Reminds me of an interaction I had at the Seattle boat show years ago. Was in my typical jeans and a t-shirt. Was walking around the GW boats. Had a few questions about engines (yamaha v others) and fish box placement. Answers from the "sales person" started with ,"For those that would buy a grady-white, they would always want ...."

Pompous.

So weird to see that in this neck of the woods. Lots of very well to do people dress Very casually.

I shrugged my shoulders, thought about an "awww shucks - I shoulda done known better" and walked off.

:)

Reminds me of an interaction I had at the Seattle boat show years ago. Was in my typical jeans and a t-shirt. Was walking around the GW boats. Had a few questions about engines (yamaha v others) and fish box placement. Answers from the "sales person" started with ,"For those that would buy a grady-white, they would always want ...."

Pompous.

So weird to see that in this neck of the woods. Lots of very well to do people dress Very casually.

I shrugged my shoulders, thought about an "awww shucks - I shoulda done known better" and walked off.

:)
I would assume insecurity is the root cause of a lot of that type of behaviour.

Yeah, I understand. I didn't dress to un "impress.: I am just more comfortable in retirement clothes . I learned a long time ago to never gauge a person by what they look like. Lots of people in sales never learn that.
During the hey day of herring fishing a friend of my Dad had just got off his boat in Van and walked into the Jaguar show room unshaven and still in his fishing clothes. He started to look at the cars when the first salesman asked him what he was doing there he replied looking for a car and the salesman laughed and called over the new junior salesman to deal with him. The young guy was very nice and took the time to answer all of his questions and at the end my Dad's friend said he would like to buy the car. The junior salesman asked how he would like to pay and got the reply cash, then he opened his knapsack and pulled out a paper bag full of cash. The other salesmen standing around watching the show stopped laughing as they had just lost an easy sale.

Long hair and a mac shirt? All you be missing is a Lucky beer in han

True that!!

you can never judge the book by the cover :) I have had the pleasure of meeting some very wealth folks and they still drive around in there beater truck and there favorite yard cloths :)
I’m sure a lot of people who are wealthy and don’t come from money didn’t get there by spending their dollars on conspicuous consumption and class signalling. I sometimes get caught up by all the nice boats on here, but I’m young and although I could technically afford a $1200/month boat payment, that money is better off being stuffed into RRSPs, TFSA, FHSA accounts etc. Comparison is the thief of joy and all. On that note, I won’t be attending the boat show this year because I don’t have the budget this year, so why torture myself 😂 Maybe one day I’ll be lucky enough to be judged by a salesman while I’m boat shopping in work clothes.
I, for one, don't trust anyone in a suit.
Unless it’s a birthday suit, then they have nothing to hide.

Always walking the line of
“Clothes don’t make the man”. And
“Look good, feel good, perform good”
Aiming to be at the show Sunday

I’m sure a lot of people who are wealthy and don’t come from money didn’t get there by spending their dollars on conspicuous consumption and class signalling. I sometimes get caught up by all the nice boats on here, but I’m young and although I could technically afford a $1200/month boat payment, that money is better off being stuffed into RRSPs, TFSA, FHSA accounts etc. Comparison is the thief of joy and all. On that note, I won’t be attending the boat show this year because I don’t have the budget this year, so why torture myself 😂 Maybe one day I’ll be lucky enough to be judged by a salesman while I’m boat shopping in work clothes.

Unless it’s a birthday suit, then they have nothing to hide.
I’m just going to torture myself too lol and dream of my “one day “ empty nester boat

Many years ago, a guy rides a bicycle into a boatyard on Mitchell Island and signs a deal for the construction of a 90 foot boat!
Never judge a book by the cover. Over dressing can make you overpay!
Stosh

Many years ago, a guy rides a bicycle into a boatyard on Mitchell Island and signs a deal for the construction of a 90 foot boat!
Never judge a book by the cover. Over dressing can make you overpay!
Stosh
Perfect. That means I should always underpay!!

Back