Vancouver Boat Show 2024

Are you going to make it over for the weekend?
I texted my buddy who is likely taking the ferry, trying to convince him to take his whaler. It would be awesome to do a video of the adventure - Take a boat to the Boat show, drop some crab traps and prawn traps along the way. Slim to no chance of him doing it, but if any members wanted to go to the show by boat, on their boat from the island, I'd be down for a day trip or an overnight adventure.

I'm planning to work on my boat this weekend and need someone who can help convince me drilling holes in my transom and epoxying them is a good idea for mounting the new swim grid and ladder. Also, I still have solar projects upgrading the camper and adding solar to the C-dory. Is anyone with Shipwrite skills or knowledge with 12v solar who wants to lend a hand? Not as fun as the boat show, but once it is back in the water, prawns and winter springs are in season!

The Seattle boat show was killer last year, but I'm passing on both the Vancouver/Seattle boat show for now. Keep the pictures coming, especially if you see boat show pricing on Honda and Merc 200hp's. Best boat P rn there is for me.

Last edited:
Reminder to wear slip on shoes or something easy to get off if you want to go on the fancy boats at the floating show or even in the dome.

End of month madness about done.
Hopefully a fairly easy morning at the office tomorrow then down to Nanaimo to head over.
I be at the show for Friday, tomorrow night is hookers and blow quiet night at the hotel. :cool:
Cloudy with showers, not too much wind forecast, as good as it gets for the start of February.

End of month madness about done.
Hopefully a fairly easy morning at the office tomorrow then down to Nanaimo to head over.
I be at the show for Friday, tomorrow night is hookers and blow quiet night at the hotel. :cool:
Cloudy with showers, not too much wind forecast, as good as it gets for the start of February.
I might be doing Friday night solo as well. I told the wife we could do a Saturday "family visit" if she still felt like it. I want to see those Njords in person.

Did the whole show in 3-4 hours today. The vendors were more engaging versus the previous couple of years and the engagement was pleasant. Unless you are looking at stock built aluminum boats not a lot to look at fibreglass wise unless you are looking at a Grady. No APM or Van Isl so no Seasport, Ospreys or pursuits. M&P only had the 21 montauk and vantage if you’re looking at whalers. There was a Canadian boat that offered a lifetime hull guarantee but it was so ugly I didn’t even get within 6 feet of it. The Njords guys are great but if it’s the rod holder you want to look at and you have ocd might have to wait for the next generation…. Will let you see for yourself. PNT had nice discounts on Islanders. Collected a few cards for later and that’s about it.

Njord booth was small but all the items were there. The CAD guy for them was in the booth solo, does not fish himself but was somewhat helpful.

The boom mounted rod holder was clever, similar to how the Scotty Striker works with the tilt up feature to remove the rod, plus the clamp was designed to go in the routered slot in the Scotty boom, so it doesn’t move around when in place.

I thought the Scotty stock mounting base was weak and flimsy, their version is a big improvement.

Njord booth was small but all the items were there. The CAD guy for them was in the booth solo, does not fish himself but was somewhat helpful.

The boom mounted rod holder was clever, similar to how the Scotty Striker works with the tilt up feature to remove the rod, plus the clamp was designed to go in the routered slot in the Scotty boom, so it doesn’t move around when in place.

I thought the Scotty stock mounting base was weak and flimsy, their version is a big improvement.
did they have their bases on sale?

did they have their bases on sale?
15% off direct purchase at the show. My issue on the rod holders they can only mount with the holder on the left side of the rigger arm which is fine for the starboard side but the port side same thing so it would be on the backside of the arm. Same for the Scotty base model. The holder is offset onto the left side regardless what side of the boat it’s on. They are working on fixing it.

There is nothing that will make you appreciate your current boat more than looking at the price tags at that boat show.
Just don’t buy a used boat the same weekend of the show after looking at the prices, gets your head all screwed up! “I’m getting a great deal” even if the radar isn’t working… don’t ask me how I know.

I dropped by the show today around 3:30PM, I'm always amazed how inexpensive street parking is around BC Place, compared to downtown.

I bought a couple of Mooching Reels from Harbour Chandler, Trophy XL QR Mooching Reel - Staff Custom - Pacific Sunrise (Steve V)
and a few other misc. items including two Scotty down riggers, I chose the 1106B's

Also spent some time Investigating what's involved in installing a Garmin Auto Pilot system in my boat, one of the guys from the Garmin booth took the time to get all the info for me and even asked if I could take him down to to the show floor to see the boat I have.
So I took him down to see the Stabicraft 2050 at Galleon's booth and he made a recommendation and I got pricing from GPS central which was conveniently located right across from the Garmin Booth, they even had one on hand but I already had more than I could carry comfortably so I resisted the impulse to buy it there and then.

I will go back one more time before Sunday and then off to the show in Seattle for Monday and Tuesday.

David.
Trophy-Steve-V-500x500-1__03325.1626803989.jpg

Last edited:
I dropped by the show today around 3:30PM, I'm always amazed how inexpensive street parking is around BC Place, compared to downtown.

I bought a couple of Mooching Reels from Harbour Chandler, and a few other misc. items including two Scotty down riggers, I choose the 1106B's

Also spent some time Investigating what's involved in installing a Garmin Auto Pilot system in my boat, one of the guys from the Garmin booth took the time to get all the info for me and even asked if I could take him down to to the show floor to see the boat I have.
So I took him down to see the Stabicraft 2050 at Galleon's booth and he made a recommendation and I got pricing from GPS central which was conveniently located right across from the Garmin Booth, they even had one on hand but I already had more than I could carry comfortably so I resisted the impulse to buy it there and then.

I will go back one more time before Sunday and then off to the show in Seattle for Monday and Tuesday.

David.
Trophy-Steve-V-500x500-1__03325.1626803989.jpg
Good choice of the Scottys my friend says they are the best marine product ever made. I agree but he has an extra 20 years of using them in me! Say hi to the stabicraft boys in Seattle for me!

Good choice of the Scottys my friend says they are the best marine product ever made. I agree but he has an extra 20 years of using them in me!Say hi to the stabicraft boys in Seattle for me!
The Stabi Crafts are there in good numbers at the Vancouver show, as well as a couple of Maybe Crafts. One of the major brokerages is selling the clones.

Back