Vancouver Area Report

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: August 27 th/2005.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

The big boys are here!!!

As I mentioned in my last newsletter about a week ago, the large Chinook started to show up off the Fraser River around the time of the full moon. The hit Pt. Grey early in the week, and catches continue to be good in this area, but are currently excellent down off Sandheads. I made a trip down there Friday morning (yesterday), and though we didn't hit the prime bite period, we still managed to hook into 10 large Chinook, boating 4 (largest was 26.5 lbs).

Most of the Chinook that are around right now are "reds", and they are in excellent shape.........way better than normal for this time of year. They almost seem like the fish of early summer. By early September, I would expect to see a higher percentage of "whites" start to arrive, and we should see really big runs hit on either the Labour Day weekend (new moon), or around mid-September (next full moon). Though most of the present fish are averaging from 15 to 25 lbs, we will also start to see larger and larger fish show in the coming weeks with 40 and 50 lb fish arriving soon.

The best time to hit the Sandheads area is around low slack tide, and the beginning of the flood tide (we didn't get there until almost 3 hours after the flood started yesterday), and the tides are perfect this coming week (especially early in the week) for a morning fish in this area. Unfortunately, it is quite a long run from the marina, so we need to do a minimum 6 hour trip to hit this area, and waters need to be relatively calm (SE winds aren't too bad, but NW are no good). Up off the Bell Buoy (Pt. Grey), the fish have been hitting best on all tide changes, and morning or afternoons don't really seem to make much of a difference. Once the fishery at the mouth of the Capilano begins (there could even be some there now), the flood tide is best.

In most cases the Chinook have been taking bait (anchovy or herring) better than any lures, though the Flamin' Hans Gypsy has accounted for a decent number of fish as have hootchies (white, white w/t green stripe, army truck, and small pink sockeye hootchies). Best depth seems to be 50 to 70 feet though some have been taken as shallow as 30 feet, and as deep as 90'.

As for Sockeye, our wonderful Government has cowered away in a corner, and is closing all saltwater Sockeye fishing tonight at midnight even though we have yet to have the main run of fish arrive, and we have had no opening off the mouth of the Fraser. If anything, the first large wave of Sockeye should be arriving off the mouth of the Fraser right about now. Too bad the Government doesn't have the guts to allow a recreational fishery (that may catch a couple thousand fish....less than 5,000 anyway), while keeping some kind of lid on the native catches (already more than 1/2 million fish).

The saltwater recreational fishery, has never taken a significant number of Sockeye from the run.......we couldn't catch a 1/10 of 1 percent of the run if we were open all year. The problem is that they can't seem to differentiate between a few hooks in the water catching a few fish, and nylon gill and seine nets that take fish by the 10,000's on a daily (or hourly basis). The blatant racism practiced by the Government of Canada and DFO is criminal, and they really should be taken to task over it. There are presently two sets of laws in this country, and if you don't believe me, just ask yourself if you think you would still be out walking the streets if you wore a mask and threatened someone with an assault rifle (especially government officials/officers) - you wouldn't see the outside of a prison cell for many, many years. Such actions have occurred on the Fraser River on a pretty regular basis over the past few years with no repercussions to the individuals involved. Sorry about the ranting, but it is really beginning to irk me, and we need people to start contacting their MP's and complaining if we are ever going to see some kind of changes made.

I am presently fairly open this coming week (Monday through Thursday), though I've had a few inquiries that just haven't firmed up their exact time/date yet. From Friday onwards, I still have lots of openings during September, though about 1/2 the days are presently booked up, so don't wait too long in choosing a date. Dates are also getting booked for the fall Chinook fishery off the Capilano (late September/October), and as I mentioned before, I will be booking trips during this fishery a bit differently this year.

The fish only bite on the flooding tide, so I've decided its best to "book the tide" instead of booking the usual morning and afternoon trips. Since the tide is often longer than my minimum 5 hour charter, it means many of the trips will be of a longer duration.......likely 6 or 7 hours most days. Booking trips this way will insure you will be out for the best bite (I REALLY hate coming in just when the bite is starting). If you wish to partake in this fishery, and have a few potential dates you are interested in (Sept. 15th through October), let me know, and I will let you know what time of day we would be going out, and the duration of the trip.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com

that's why there's a warranty!

Back