Vancouver Area Report-Predator Charters

R

Rodbreaker

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: September 19 th/2005.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

Things have changed quite a bit in the few weeks since my last newsletter. The big fall Chinook arrived off the Fraser River, but now they are already at the Capilano as well - that fishery started a bit early again this year. Many of the Chinook we are catching are still "reds", so we will be getting another large "wave" of the even larger "whites" arriving soon. They have been trickling in, but there hasn't been that"smokin'" few days off the Fraser yet (unless it was only one day long and most of us missed it......a possibility). Sockeye re-opened, but there are very few around, so that was a bust again this year.

With the start of the Capilano Chinook fishery, I would suspect I will be spending most days fishing this area from now until late October. This fishery should just continue to improve into early October which has been the peak of the run over the past 5 or 6 years. If another large wave of Chinook hits the Fraser River I will definitely head out there (especially on a weekend when the Capilano would be really crowded).

These fall fish generally take bait far better than anything else, but off the FRaser River, spoons (Gypsy or Coyote - Paddy Wagon, Flamin' Hans, Army Truck etc...), and hootchies (white, blood and bones, green/glow, small pink) do take some as well. Off Sandheads, fish shallow (30 to 60 feet), as the fish are often found just under the freshwater layer, while up by T-10 or the Bell Buoy, they can be somewhat deeper 40 to 100 feet. Off the mouth of the Capilano, I always find a large whole herring trolled just off the bottom without a flasher to be my best producer of large fish, but many guys do well with flasher/anchovy combos as well.

As expected, I am fully booked up in September, as those who were waiting to tackle these monster Chinook have begun to book their days. Remember, for the Capilano fishery, we only fish the flooding tide, and so charters will be booked accordingly this year. There will be a few days where a morning or afternoon 5 hour charter will cover the tide, but on many days the flood will be through the middle of the day, and charters will be longer than 5 hours in order to cover the whole tide. This will insure that you are out fishing when the bite comes on, as it is hard to predict when the bite will be the best in that flooding tide (sometimes early, sometimes late.....). Also, since crowds can be an issue on weekends, try to book mid-week for the Capilano if possible (and I'll take my days off on the weekend so I stay sane through the season).

I am still fairly open in October, though the first week is getting pretty booked up. This fishery continues well into the latter stages of October most years (as long as the weather stays relatively dry), and this year it may well go even longer as many runs of salmon have been a few weeks late this year. Though the Cap. fishery seemed to start a bit early, those first fish were all "reds", and may well have been the August fish that are typically taken by anglers targeting Coho earlier in the summer. There are also as many Coho around now as there have been all summer, so this also indicates to me that things are actually late, and we may be fishing the Capilano's mouth into early November this year.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
(604) 329 - 8642
davek@dccnet.com

that's why there's a warranty!

I'm heading out Sun (with the masses)any body been out this week?QA,T10<English Bay?Weather has been unreal, hope it holds up!

I'm heading out Sun (with the masses)any body been out this week?QA,T10<English Bay?Weather has been unreal, hope it holds up!

I'm in Mon, Tues and Thursday as well..............

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

I'm in Mon, Tues and Thursday as well..............

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

Back