Vacuum Sealer Recommendations

Nootka - enjoy your VP215! Been loving mine for a lot of years now, not a single problem.

I wrap all my fish in saran wrap (get the big roll at Costco) then into 4 ml bags. Settings are:
Vacuum for 35 seconds, low setting
Sealing 1.5 seconds
Cooling1.2 seconds

Prawns get wrapped in a couple layers of wax paper to help keep them from puncturing the bag, same settings. In fact we use those settings for everything except retort bags.

Nootka - enjoy your VP215! Been loving mine for a lot of years now, not a single problem.

I wrap all my fish in saran wrap (get the big roll at Costco) then into 4 ml bags. Settings are:
Vacuum for 35 seconds, low setting
Sealing 1.5 seconds
Cooling1.2 seconds

Prawns get wrapped in a couple layers of wax paper to help keep them from puncturing the bag, same settings. In fact we use those settings for everything except retort bags.
Just wax paper for prawns? I've always frozen them in water in a tupperware container. Then vacuum seal the frozen block.

What’s that stuff called that guys use like Saran Wrap but it has a different name? Think it comes from Costco. @Rob H ?

They are much firmer if put into a zip lock bag with salt water - then squeeze most of the air out and simply lay flat and freeze.

There is a lot of discussion and recommendations on vacuum sealers dating back to 2008 on this board. I didn’t find a lot of current information.
What make/model is recommended? Our primary use is preserving salmon, halibut and beef. The Admiral wants a good quality sealer with a small foot print (if that is possible) that does a good job.
I am on my third Costco one over about ten years and I have only paid for one! at their recommendation I returned to first one after eight years the second one was faulty but the one I am using now is improved and working very well!
Unfortunately I don’t catch many fish but I buy meat in bulk and so it gets lots of use
I now use it for Sous Vide cooking too

I am on my third Costco one over about ten years and I have only paid for one! at their recommendation I returned to first one after eight years the second one was faulty but the one I am using now is improved and working very well!
Unfortunately I don’t catch many fish but I buy meat in bulk and so it gets lots of use
I now use it for Sous Vide cooking too
My costco sealer is on year 5 and still going strong.

Yeah, just heavily wrap the prawns in wax paper then into the 4ml bag to vacuum pack. They last great in the freezer. We used to put them in tupperware containers of ocean saltwater then freeze, but they seem to get watery and overly salty that way. Much prefer the wax paper/vac pack.

Hi
Where’s the best place to buy a Vac Master 215 in BC or Canada?
Thanks

This is where I got mine from. Free shipping is nice because it weights 90 pounds

This is where I got mine from. Free shipping is nice because it weights 90 pounds
Wow they sure have gone up in price, ibought mine in the states from Webstraunt.com for $645 US four years ago

Our 20 year old Foodsaver bit the bullet last night. Shopping for a new sealer now. Based on past experience I may just do the Foodsaver again. That old one owes us nothing.

Our 20 year old Foodsaver bit the bullet last night. Shopping for a new sealer now. Based on past experience I may just do the Foodsaver again. That old one owes us nothing.
Nesco vs01
Best inexpensive sealer I've used.

Attachments

• VS-01_Front_View_1.jpg
    VS-01_Front_View_1.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 44
Hi
Where’s the best place to buy a Vac Master 215 in BC or Canada?
Thanks
cookstore has them in Ontario and halfords in Edmonton also stocks them. I'm ordering the vp230 from websturant because they are way cheaper coming from he states, I'm getting the machine and 3 cases of 1000 and 1qt oil for the price cookstore had it. bad thing is i have to wait until May for then to come back in stock. even though it said they were in stock online.

Wow they sure have gone up in price, ibought mine in the states from Webstraunt.com for $645 US four years ago
I bought mine same place back in 2014. Thousands of seals no issues. The only time it started to act up was when we had the heat dome a couple of years ago, back from Nootka. We were in the shop processing, must have been close to 95 degrees in there, we were on maybe the 300th seal in a row and it was starting to over heat. Oil was coming out of the tank. Worked her good that day, next day an oil change and never a problem.

Back