Used Tr1 what's it worth?

fishnwhenIcan

Hey guys, I'm probably going to throw my TR1 up for sale. I know a lot of guys seem to like them, me.... not so much. So, I dropped about 3 grand on this thing 4 years ago. It's never worked right for me but I've never spent the time figuring it out. Great sales pitch huh. Anyways, I'm not going to give it away but what would be a fair price for it? This isn't an attempt at an auction. I don't see myself doing anything with it until the off season. Just want to price it right come the day.

They go for btwn $1000 and $1500. Variables are Throttle control, remote... Etc

They go for btwn $1000 and $1500. Variables are Throttle control, remote... Etc

The throttles are motor specific and i have not bought one. Remote is the standard wired, I have not done the wireless. I was hoping they held their value better. Looks like I could take a pretty good bath on it.

There is one for sale in sooke for $1000. Also there is a posting on craigslist in seattle area of a full electronic package with the yamaha kicker and radar

There is one for sale in sooke for $1000. Also there is a posting on craigslist in seattle area of a full electronic package with the yamaha kicker and radar

Thanks JAC. I saw the Seattle deal with kicker but that didn't give me any indication of the Tr1. Saw one for $1500.00 usd needless to say I liked that one a whole lot more. Oh well...this is what I needed to know. It might affect my decision on what I do.

I bought both mine for between 1000-1200,
one was off a member here, both had wireless control, first one was a tr-1 gold, second was the gladiator
spent at least another 800-1000 for parts and custom hyd hoses installing the Gladiator,
tr1 I spent 500 on for motor specifics
so all that being said 1500-2000, you cant get them anymore and they were one of the best made
I still think you should recalibrate yours and enjoy, they are killer

You can't get TR1s anymore? I did not know that. I tried playing some with mine yesterday. Mines doing slow S turns and I found something in the manual and tried to adjust up the responsiveness but it didn't help. I need to find a reset button on it. Maybe something got progammed in by mistake? No, I have not calibrated the compass yet. I have not found a spot to do it without going out of the way. The manual is back on board though.

Garmin still shows tr1's and gladiators are available. Don't know anything about not being able to get them. They used to be made by nautomatic but garmin bought them out.

I believe once you calibrate the compass your worries will go away
I would redo all the initial dockside setup and then the on water calibration, then set north these are a must or it will not perform.
Do you have it wired to your gps as well ?

They are still available. I just ordered a new TR-1 Gold with a bracket and actuator for $2,300.00 US.

Joe

I believe once you calibrate the compass your worries will go away
I would redo all the initial dockside setup and then the on water calibration, then set north these are a must or it will not perform.
Do you have it wired to your gps as well ?

I don't have it wired to my GPS. I'm not sure if mine would support it and I figured I'd do that if I upgraded. I'll look over the book again. I need to get it working properly regardless. So I guess I'll take it for a ride and find a spot to set the compass. Maybe I can do it tucked in over by the Fisheries building on the slack.

As far as I know Garmin is no longer making the TR-1 but there is some old stock around with different merchants

I just ordered a TR-1 Gold less than a month ago, GPS City (Canada Site) had to order it in for me, took them a week to order it and get
it to me. The price was $2792cdn delivered. That price included the main unit, motor bracket, throttle actuator, taxes and shipping.
Just about have it all installed.

All my research prior to buying this unit indicates that compass calibration is an absolute must to get this unit to function correctly.

Barman

They have dropped in price then. It used to be all the places in the States sold them, or at least advertised them at the same price. At least that's what I found when I was looking. I've had other people say you don't have to calibrate the compass but...from re bleeding the system to relocating the compass ball, that's about the only thing I haven't tried yet...

I just ordered a TR-1 Gold less than a month ago, GPS City (Canada Site) had to order it in for me, took them a week to order it and get
it to me. The price was $2792cdn delivered. That price included the main unit, motor bracket, throttle actuator, taxes and shipping.
Just about have it all installed.

All my research prior to buying this unit indicates that compass calibration is an absolute must to get this unit to function correctly.

Barman
That's a good price.
Compass calibration is only needed for the GPS function.

You can buy them for $2300 in the states they have been around that price for a couple years now.

That's a good price.
Compass calibration is only needed for the GPS function.

Compass calibration is a must for it to correctly function, as well as setting north no matter of GPS connection or not
It cannot follow a heading if it's unclear of the heading, only takes 5 minutes to do
Go read of all the issues with tracking due to non compass calibration on THT. Or ifish, look up user slow drag-on(sp?)
He's one of the original nautamatic guys that preaches first thing to do is calibrate

Last edited by a moderator:
Back