Upset about the Chinook Closures? What to do next?

Except that there are no bodies to enforce that. 140 extra enforcement officers on the Fraser this spring and summer? Not a chance. political ********. I'm friends with one of the local DFO enforcement officers here in Campbell River. He says, 140 extra officers? There are not that many extra officers in all of Canada!

They have lost more to attrition then they have been able to replace. A recruit makes less then 50k, who can afford to live in the lower mainland on that.

Better off going to Newfoundland or remote location.

They have lost more to attrition then they have been able to replace. A recruit makes less then 50k, who can afford to live in the lower mainland on that.

Efforts to fill positions are very low. Squamish office operated with one Fisheries officer they said they were hiring another one andvwent years without actually coming about. DFO then tried to use justification to close the office. Only huge backlash saved it last year. We now have 3 officers.

Wow, basically same legal powers as R.C.M.P. Pretty sure cops make more. Those kind of wages, hard to recruit.

Wow, basically same legal powers as R.C.M.P. Pretty sure cops make more. Those kind of wages, hard to recruit.

Never mind the wages......what about the moral ethics of working for goverment Liars.......
Likely used to be a sought after job. The way their run at present i couldnt face people saying i work for DFO.
That said...... Avid Angler Program ive been part of for a few years......binder and equipment In the garbage.....hoodys jackets and hats given to the homeless. To hell with DFO

have you seen anything in the PRESS or on TV about our issures with DFO here on the west coast?
NO !!!
Why? because its controlled and they do,t want to let the rest of Canada know what is going on.
In the older days...days of protest.....we took to the streets or whereever to get PRESS
a few hundred small craft boats under the LIONS GATE bridge WILL get National T/V coverage...
or surround DFO office and Ministers offices with boats and trailers and fishing line....
Letters work to a point, but no one really sees them except a garbage can beside the clerks desk.
ACTION & PROTEST gets PRESS

WTF ??
I thought all user groups were non-retention until July 15
This is B.S.

get used to it..
its been BS ever since it got put into the racist constitution,
that colour of skin does matter.
Who has the balls to open and amend the constitution?
no one!!! except a revolt!

get used to it..
its been BS ever since it got put into the racist constitution,
that colour of skin does matter.
Who has the balls to open and amend the constitution?
no one!!! except a revolt!
The FN's won their court battle as well as the appeal. The horses are already out of the barn

The Chinook non-retention is bad enough, but I have to ask why the majority of the coast reopens July 16
and the South Island must wait till August 01.
Come on DFO, at lease be consistent !
Just one more slap in the face to south island angler's.

The Chinook non-retention is bad enough, but I have to ask why the majority of the coast reopens July 16

No justifiable reason as all out netting in river is suppose to start july 15. Maybe to give the nets in the river more fish?

And the Orca forging zones which call for no fishing of any kind will still be in effect in the Pender and Otter Point -Sheringham region from what I can gather.

Probably has to do with run timing?

Bulk of the fish we catch are Puget sound hatchery fish 10-20lb range.
We have had to let all wilds over 67cm go for over 10 years now.
Just seems unfair to further penalize us.

Even letting go the oversize the JDF caught the most early Fraser stock then any other sport area. If you had Avid angler data from thoes area that says other wise do up a pie chart like the Vancouver guides did.

Back