Upset about the Chinook Closures? What to do next?

I' m co-owner of a tackle shop in Campbell River, so I'm intimately aware of the hardship this non-retention is going to cause. Guides and lodges are getting cancellations, no new bookings. My own business, sales are already off the norm. We won't be hiring as many summer staff this year. Customers are talking about selling their boats, guides are worried about surviving and most everybody is seething mad. The local salmon derby that has raised a ton of money for salmon enhancement has of course been cancelled. It's held in June, too late to re-shcedule this year. Our business also donates merchandise for fundraisers to PSF, Oyster River Enhancement Society, Campbell River Salmon Foundation, Gillard Pass Fisheries association, just to name a few. I've contacted the Conservative candidate for our riding and have never heard back.

I am very sorry to hear of the impacts the Chinook closure is having on your business. Your comments show that not only does the closure economic impacts, but also leads to losses for organizations and groups that help grow Chinook salmon stocks! I don't know the name of your Tackle shop but I encourage all forum members to remember to continue to support your local fishing tackle shops!

Please contact your local media and encourage them to do a story on this! Also mobilize other businesses to speak out.

Just spitballing here, but it seems we are up against it as far as funding is concerned compared to the ENGO’s. Maybe if we ever have derbies again some of the funding should be earmarked for defending Public Access to Fishing. Not advocating totally abandoning conservation funding projects, we need them as well.

Watched it, I'm sure they edited the **** out of it. Good Job guys, keep the pressure on! Election coming soon. Kind of a concern, the cons cut the crap out of D.F.O. hatcheries, habitat restoration, enforcement, when they were in power. Really hard to decide which way to vote.

Watched it, I'm sure they edited the **** out of it. Good Job guys, keep the pressure on! Election coming soon. Kind of a concern, the cons cut the crap out of D.F.O. hatcheries, habitat restoration, enforcement, when they were in power. Really hard to decide which way to vote.
Thanks SC. It's Tricky when you do a television interview as you can talk for 15 minutes and then they pull one soundbite. I was glad for the sound bite they pulled, I thought it hit the point! I thought Scott did a great job with his points!

The problem as I see it is that unless you are a fisherman
or guide, it's hard to get support.
I have spoken about the issue with lots of folks who are either unaware
or simply shrug their shoulders and suggest playing golf ?

You have to make it sexier by suggesting that there are backdoor deals and collusion going on. Make it about ALL Canadians rights to access our resources... but don't get all racist about it.

The problem as I see it is that unless you are a fisherman or guide, it's hard to get support.

That very much does exist.
Just last night at a dinner party with friends.
When one asked why I came across so angry over the closures, I explained what this meant to both Area G and the recreational fleet. Explained how it came about in detail. Explained the fact that DFO holds 17 million US explicitly earmarked by it's US donors as to "alleviate economic hardship for the southern troll fleet in times when they are regulated off the water" yet DFO has stated there will be no consideration whatsoever to any form of compensation for their latest actions. Explained how the livelihoods of my colleagues and buddies up and down the coast are directly effected. Explained that these restrictions are simply POLITICAL Expediency, and will do nothing to address the declines of Fraser Chinook stocks. Then went on to explain that no less than three FN openings have occurred simultaneously to, and following these closures.

Could have heard a pin drop through it all.
Red faces, and finally the comment - We get why your pissed off now. We never knew.

Of course they didn't. Our message isn't getting out there enough.
Despite the many who are trying.

More letters to the Minister & Pierre's Idiot Child again today...

Selling toys to afford the roof now...
Nog

Keep pushing! We've definitely gained momentum in the last week. Keep the phone calls, the conversations and emails to media, friends and most important MP's going!

That very much does exist.
Just last night at a dinner party with friends.
When one asked why I came across so angry over the closures, I explained what this meant to both Area G and the recreational fleet. Explained how it came about in detail. Explained the fact that DFO holds 17 million US explicitly earmarked by it's US donors as to "alleviate economic hardship for the southern troll fleet in times when they are regulated off the water" yet DFO has stated there will be no consideration whatsoever to any form of compensation for their latest actions. Explained how the livelihoods of my colleagues and buddies up and down the coast are directly effected. Explained that these restrictions are simply POLITICAL Expediency, and will do nothing to address the declines of Fraser Chinook stocks. Then went on to explain that no less than three FN openings have occurred simultaneously to, and following these closures.

Could have heard a pin drop through it all.
Red faces, and finally the comment - We get why your pissed off now. We never knew.

Of course they didn't. Our message isn't getting out there enough.
Despite the many who are trying.

More letters to the Minister & Pierre's Idiot Child again today...

Selling toys to afford the roof now...
Nog
Well explained and great job Nog!

I had the telephone conversation with Rachel Blaney today. She basically asked me to make all of the points I wanted to, and she would try to act on them.
First off, I pointed out that the saltwater portion of the REC. fishery contributes about $700 million to the provincial economy. ($ 400 million freshwater, for a total of 1.1 billion) Of that about $400-500 million is recruited from the Johnstone and Georgia Strait fisheries. We talked about the potential loss of jobs. We talked about how little the impact of the southern B.C. sport fishery has on endangered Fraser Chinook. I pointed out that the cumulative encounters of upper Fraser Chinook, up until the in-river fishery is very low. ( gotta tip toe here, as her husband is elected chief of the Homalco band). We talked about hatcheries, and a selective mark fishery, and how even if we started marking fish next spring, it would be 4 years until we saw any selective mark fish. We talked about Habitat, and that it would be years before improvements made a difference. We talked about all of the fisheries on the stocks of concern, and I pointed out that the upper river FSC fishery had the highest exploitation rate. Lastley we talked about enforcement, about the 140 extra D.F.O. enforcement officers promised for the Fraser. Don't want to get anybody in trouble here, but one of the local enforcement officers said to me " 140 more officers for the Fraser? We don't have an extra 140 officers available in all of Canada"!

Thanks for your work Saltycod. Tippin my hat to you and your efforts.
A huge thankyou.
Let your voices be heard folks.

Can a Liberal come October. Engage in other Candidates in Your area.
Demand change and respect for what we do for our West Coast Salmon and our economy

Back