Upset about the Chinook Closures? What to do next?

Just came back from Salmon Point RV park . Testing the RV before saying screw it and going trout fishing this summer. Two of the days we were there the water was like glass. I could glass to Willow Point in the north, down to Oyster River and over to Savery Is. I observed ONE sport fishing boat on the water.. ONE! But I did get creeled by the DFO King Air as I was standing on the beach.. I hope he got a nice photo of my middle finger.

You can tell by the reports forum that no ones out, I just read a guides blog and they gave away all the goods, all the good spots, all the gear ect and they typically only give out some details.

Just came back from Salmon Point RV park . Testing the RV before saying screw it and going trout fishing this summer. Two of the days we were there the water was like glass. I could glass to Willow Point in the north, down to Oyster River and over to Savery Is. I observed ONE sport fishing boat on the water.. ONE! But I did get creeled by the DFO King Air as I was standing on the beach.. I hope he got a nice photo of my middle finger.

My boat is in at salmon point. It is so dead it is almost spooky. Usually filled with boats and campers by now.

Was on the CR hump Saturday. Awesome tides and flat calm. Only saw three boats all morning. Was on the water until about 1pm.

What saddens me the most is to think our kids kids and the future of Salmon Runs will not exist with Ministers decisions like this. Its nearing an end as we know it if action isnt taken and fast. FN unaccountability and over harvest plus black market sales continue. Whitey co tinues to buy. Its sickening. Unmonitored openings as many of the FN Fishery notices state.
Get involved everybody.
Again 5% doing most of the lifting while 95% sit on their hands ***** and complain but do nothing.
Stand up people ..... Be heard. Get involved Now.

Without accountability by ALL we cannot have Sustainability.

HT

My boat is in at salmon point. It is so dead it is almost spooky. Usually filled with boats and campers by now.

Was on the CR hump Saturday. Awesome tides and flat calm. Only saw three boats all morning. Was on the water until about 1pm.

Yeah no good. Even today on long weekend I usually see many boats heading up island. Today hardly any coming up.

Any fish?

May / June is usually great fishing, so I guess the consensus is no interest in C&R....

There are a ton of guide boats at Discovery Harbour, etc. I suspect they will be busy come July 15, but I don’t see how they can run a business losing 1/2 their season. So next year will be really telling.

I personally believe we need to keep pressure on and demand to know how this years closures were apparent and successful in the results at the spawning grounds. Was there a large increase in the amount of fish counted there, was there a moderate increase or virtually no increase?

I believe DFO might have painted themselves in a corner on this issue. It makes sense that there should be a measurable success rate of spawning salmon even after one year of Commercial and Public fishing closure. If not, or if it’s insignificant, that indicates it’s only one of the many problems and unless significantly higher results are verified, it may not be the Silver Bullet DFO is trying to sell to the Public.

A complete closure such as the one we are currently experiencing pretty much eliminates harvest outside of the Fraser as a factor. Spawning numbers in conjunction with predicted numbers (ie good or bad year using the cycle info)will either prove or disprove DFO’s theory. If the numbers don’t support the current DFO theory then they may have to wake up and take some real action.

If, as we believe we are only a small part of the problem and if gillnetting in the Fraser is actually shut down and the result is a successful return, I’m prepared to live with closures. However if as I suspect there is very little or no improvement then DFO must be held accountable for this decision. They claim to be using science as opposed to emotion, so we need to demand the prove their theory with real numbers and not anecdotal evidence. Those numbers should be pretty easy to arrive at and available later this summer.

I personally believe we need to keep pressure on and demand to know how this years closures were apparent and successful in the results at the spawning grounds. Was there a large increase in the amount of fish counted there, was there a moderate increase or virtually no increase?

I believe DFO might have painted themselves in a corner on this issue. It makes sense that there should be a measurable success rate of spawning salmon even after one year of Commercial and Public fishing closure. If not, or if it’s insignificant, that indicates it’s only one of the many problems and unless significantly higher results are verified, it may not be the Silver Bullet DFO is trying to sell to the Public.

A complete closure such as the one we are currently experiencing pretty much eliminates harvest outside of the Fraser as a factor. Spawning numbers in conjunction with predicted numbers (ie good or bad year using the cycle info)will either prove or disprove DFO’s theory. If the numbers don’t support the current DFO theory then they may have to wake up and take some real action.

If, as we believe we are only a small part of the problem and if gillnetting in the Fraser is actually shut down and the result is a successful return, I’m prepared to live with closures. However if as I suspect there is very little or no improvement then DFO must be held accountable for this decision. They claim to be using science as opposed to emotion, so we need to demand the prove their theory with real numbers and not anecdotal evidence. Those numbers should be pretty easy to arrive at and available later this summer.

You don't actually believe DFO numbers do you?? Remember who invented Voodoo math-and counting hali's by aircraft fly-over. The numbers will show DFO's hypothesis regardless of the facts!!

Unless DFO does a serious job of enforcing , monitoring and accounting for all FN harvesting in the Fraser this year, for ALL fishing, whether scheduled, ceremonial, food, economic opportunity, poached, or whatever the F... they want to call it. WE will never get a true number of run size and the true state of these stocks.

Unless DFO does a serious job of enforcing , monitoring and accounting for all FN harvesting in the Fraser this year, for ALL fishing, whether scheduled, ceremonial, food, economic opportunity, poached, or whatever the F... they want to call it. WE will never get a true number of run size and the true state of these stocks.

So so True High Time.
You are BANG ON HERE.
Problem being FNs never ever give True numbers on hunting and or fishing......and our ***** GOVERNMENTS do not hold them accoutable. Keepers of the land and waters my back side !

Without ACCOUNTABILITY by ALL there cannot be SUSTAINABILITY.

That would actually backfire on DFO. If the closures in place don’t work then it becomes clear, even to the General Public, that we were used as a scapegoat and there are other issues in play. We need to be vocal by saying even when we quit fishing, nothing changed, so what’s the real reason for the reduced run? Clearly we can do no more so what’s the new plan! I’m betting DFO will either exaggerate the success rates as a result of the closure or more likely hide the numbers when they fail to justify them. We need to demand these numbers as proof of the Scientific Method! More fish harvested in the Fraser, the worse the results of the closures will be and only help prove our point!

You don't actually believe DFO numbers do you?? Remember who invented Voodoo math-and counting hali's by aircraft fly-over. The numbers will show DFO's hypothesis regardless of the facts!!
They have to be careful though if the numbers are too good they can’t justify the draconian closures

Back