UNsinkable Boat?

10 lifejackets, all up to date flares, 2 5 lb fire extinguishers, man-overboard heaving line, GPS linked to VHF 1, 2nd VHF, 3 Immersion (not just exposure) suits, EPIRB, 6 man Viking liferaft in cannister with auto-deploy if boat sinks, radar reflector and radar. Next year AIS VHF and then I think I am pretty much done. Its a few thousand in safety gear and helps me feel a little more confident on the ocean, but I know she is a beautiful and seductive mistress who does not love me and cares not if I make it home.

If buying $200 on an inflateable vest would prevent hypothermia, I'd be all over it. Those a vests don't float you better than my standard mustang life jackets or floater jackets, but I do realize the benefit from wearing one always. But, that's why I've got a game plan to wear a PFd in most situations. Might consider some sort of raft when I make longer runs to remote areas.

But out we all know the best safety tool is common sense. Know the forecast, know the limits, know when to say "not today".

You wear a floater jacket when it's 85 degrees ( I still think like an American...in Fahrenheit) out on the water...?

I'll wager you don't.....

A Mustang jacket won't guarantee you protection from Hypothermia.

A boat under 6 metres should meet level flotation, i.e. floating at gunwales if swamped. It can capsize, but shouldn't sink. A vessel over 6 metres in length (>19'6") on the otherhand doesn't need to meet level flotation, it just has to be stable enough to not capsize under normal operations. As your question is about a vessel under 6 metres in length, here is what the construction standards say on how a builder must manufacture a smaller boat in terms of level flotation. American standards (USCG, ABYC/NMMA) are similar:

4.4.1.2 Standards for Minimum Flotation

4.4.1.2.1 Buoyancy material is to be fitted that provides sufficient buoyancy to keep the vessel from sinking when it is swamped and when the occupants are clinging to the outside of the vessel, where the individual weights of the motor, the occupants, and the equipment carried in or attached to the vessel do not exceed the weights used in the formula set out in subsection 4.4.1.4.

A Harbour Craft should meet CDN standards, however to be sure call them at the factory in Vernon and ask if it was built to Construction Standards that required level flotation. If it was built in the last 10 years, it should. They can look up the HIN# and let you know. If you are wondering about adding foam, you could look at the Construction Standards for Small Vessels- TP1332E (2010) from Transport Canada. As well, this publication may be of some use (it's from Australia). http://www.transportsafety.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/79400/Buoyancy-in-boats.pdf

I haven't compared it to TC's standards so take it with a grain of salt and compare with CDN standards if you wish, it's just an easy read and is in plain language.
With the recent accident off Texada it has me really thinking about safety and what I would do if I was in that situation. And more importantly, what steps can be taken so that the chances of it happening are greatly reduced. I have boated around those waters a fair bit and have seen some gnarly seas, especially where the currents can converge there.

So, my question is, how sinkable are most boats? There are requirements for foam and air chambers in boats, but does this really make them unsinkable??

My Harbercraft 1625 (16.5 feet) has a fair bit of foam built in under the floor and the area around the transom has big foam blocks....but would this keep it from going down? I am considering adding more foam in any free space.

Thoughts?

I always have a survival suite and 6mm wetsuit on board, but need to get more for others.

Last edited by a moderator:
You demand safety? We provide it! Pictured above left, our main load capacity test. This Sea Chaser is loaded down with 12,000 pounds of lead and is still afloat. Pictured above right, we put holes in the bottom of this Sea Hunter and then loaded it down with 650 pounds of lead. Unsinkable!

That quote is right off arimas website along with pictures.

You demand safety? We provide it! Pictured above left, our main load capacity test. This Sea Chaser is loaded down with 12,000 pounds of lead and is still afloat. Pictured above right, we put holes in the bottom of this Sea Hunter and then loaded it down with 650 pounds of lead. Unsinkable!

That quote is right off arimas website along with pictures.

Happy to say I own an Arima. Still possible for it to capsize if it's rough and full of water, but a very safe and well built boat regardless.

Back