Are Dual Batteries Really Necessary in All Cases?

Just recognizing the need to ask the question should be reason enough for 2 batteries. The sea is unforgiving and so much depends on good batteries. More is better.

The best response I've heard yet to the original question. I'd rather be a bit heavy in the stern then all corky and bouncy and dead in the water

I would not want to be heavy in the stern. I owned and worked from a 17 Double Eagle and a 17 Hourston before that. Both boats are sensitive to having to much weight in the forward seats ( in steep tidal waves you will take greenies up the windshield, lift the canvas and drop gallons on who ever is sitting in the front seats) and to much weight in the stern (on well models) is not good either. The transom is cut down quite close to the water. I had a 115 and 9.9 Yam's and seat mounted on top inner part of the well for steering and working the gear. Also a single battery back there and there was a built in fuel tank under the rear deck floor. I wouldn't want another 50 pounds in that boat in back or up front. I ran those boats a long time with a single battery and never had an issue. I just made sure I replaced the battery before it got tired.

Back