Boat Seats for Aluminum Jon

Big Green Machine

After using one of these on my aluminum Jon, I want a better, more scure option for my boat seats.
clamp on.jpg
This thing moved every time I moved.

Now, I went to one of these
lock n pin.jpg
which gets mounted under the seat

seat.jpg

which then is really handy goes into the base plate
mount.png

quick and easy and not permanent which is what I need.

The problem is my boat has very thin guage aluminum.

marlon.jpg

and there is no way I can get under the aluminum bench seat (riveted and filled with foam) to properly secure the base plate. I thought of using toggle boats or self tapping metal screws but both of these options will not be very tight and secure.

The other option I was thinking about was attached a carpeted piece of plywood across the top of the bench seat and then I would have an easier time attaching a base plate to that.

I could only do this if there was a place to securely mount the carpeted plywood.

Any thoughts?

You could:-

put a sheet of marine grade plywood on the seat (1/2 inch?) and secure with those screws that have the collapsible wings on them and you drill a hole and put them through and then tighten them up.

add the base plate to the wood (like the base plate shown in pic)

add the swivel unit to the seat

Slide the swivel unit into base plate...it clicks and it locks. depress tab at front to get the seat out if needed.

If doing this make sure the base plate and the swivel unit are same size......there's a couple on the market that look the same but they aren't.

I like the bigger ones you can get at Can Tire.

(ones in the pic are just about ready for the annual spruce-up........:cool:)

001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, that Rivnut tool looks interesting. The only thing I'm worried about is if I simply mount the base plate using toggles or the riv nut directly onto the bench seat, is the bench itself being such ****** gauge might not be able to handle the load.

Then again, the added weight of the plywood is a bit of a concern.

Back