UNsinkable Boat?

Andrew P

With the recent accident off Texada it has me really thinking about safety and what I would do if I was in that situation. And more importantly, what steps can be taken so that the chances of it happening are greatly reduced. I have boated around those waters a fair bit and have seen some gnarly seas, especially where the currents can converge there.

So, my question is, how sinkable are most boats? There are requirements for foam and air chambers in boats, but does this really make them unsinkable??

My Harbercraft 1625 (16.5 feet) has a fair bit of foam built in under the floor and the area around the transom has big foam blocks....but would this keep it from going down? I am considering adding more foam in any free space.

Thoughts?

I always have a survival suite and 6mm wetsuit on board, but need to get more for others.

I heard the boat was swamped in following seas. Not sure what kind of 16 footer it was, but some this size have very low free board and can swamp easily. It seems to me a precautionary measure for a small open boat is to have a tarp/canvas and center support that you could quickly cover the stern deck across the gunwales to prevent the sea dumping in on you. Of course listening to weather forecasts and avoiding getting caught out in a storm is the best measure, but if caught in an emergency situation, it's wise to have some plan that you have practiced and are able to execute in such situations.

I swamped my RHIB once, and I found out that a scared boater makes for the quickest bilge pump. I probably never would have sank (5 separate air cells in the pontoons and a sealed hull) but stranded or even capsized was a possibility. I know a guy who stood for 19 hours knee deep in water in his little inflatable before he was rescued, albeit hypothermic and requiring medical attention for a few days. An unsunk boat doesn't mean you'll stay alive, but it helps keep you alive till help arrives.

On a similar note, my friend has a bunch of immersion suits for sale.

It is an interesting question on whether a boat would sink or not!! I remember commercials with Boston whalers where a guy cuts an open whaler across the middle with a chainsaw and the two guys were floating one on each end (no motor) as I recall. Having had my really large floatation pod completely fill with water while off-shore-and little difference noticed I have a feeling that my boat (Orca) might go awash but not completely sink. My feeling is based on the incredibly thick foam sandwich walls, A 522 litre fuel tank, A huge sealed flotation pod probably 300 gal in size plus lots of other foam through out. That doesn't mean you can't lose the boat to a following sea or it not roll if miss handled but it does give me some confidence that if we stay with the boat and do all we can to prevent hypothermia setting in we all may see another fishing season. So maybe a guy should look at all his sealed chambers like pods and tanks-they may keep you afloat!

IMO a good handheld radio is an extremely valuable asset that many people overlook. The ability to call for help is such a game changer in a situation like one just this past weekend.

IMO a good handheld radio is an extremely valuable asset that many people overlook. The ability to call for help is such a game changer in a situation like one just this past weekend.

I totally agree. A VHF radio is a must. You can put out a distress call or even a PAN that alerts more people than a cell phone. With a radio, you can advise the Coast Guard if you must shelter in a bay because of weather and they can render assistance if needed.

I hope everyone stays safe this year. One tragedy is more than enough.

Ever seen Lund boat ads?

They have one where they cut huge holes all over the hull and then put it in the water. It floats (at least in their ad, anyway).

I have a Lund...and I'm not counting on their advertising to save me anytime soon.

If you don't want to go down with the boat then never put yourself in that situation in the first place.

Then again something may happen accidentally.

In these water I don't know how long I'd last floating around.......even with a flotation device on.

My wife wouldn't last 10 minutes.

I keep promising myself to buy us PFD's and wear them.

We are guilty of having life jackets aboard but never having them on.

We have aborted many a planned trip because it was just too damned 'iffy" for wind that day.

Got caught in a sudden blow-up from nowhere once a few years back in a small boat.......only 2 miles to the marina and we almost never made it.

Ever seen Lund boat ads?

They have one where they cut huge holes all over the hull and then put it in the water. It floats (at least in their ad, anyway).

I have a Lund...and I'm not counting on their advertising to save me anytime soon.

If you don't want to go down with the boat then never put yourself in that situation in the first place.

Then again something may happen accidentally.

In these water I don't know how long I'd last floating around.......even with a flotation device on.

My wife wouldn't last 10 minutes.

I keep promising myself to buy us PFD's and wear them.

We are guilty of having life jackets aboard but never having them on.

We have aborted many a planned trip because it was just too damned 'iffy" for wind that day.

Got caught in a sudden blow-up from nowhere once a few years back in a small boat.......only 2 miles to the marina and we almost never made it.

All of this rings so true, be afraid of the ocean and treat it with the utmost respect
even doing that, you may end up in a situation you don't want to be in.

I totally agree. A VHF radio is a must. You can put out a distress call or even a PAN that alerts more people than a cell phone. With a radio, you can advise the Coast Guard if you must shelter in a bay because of weather and they can render assistance if needed.

I hope everyone stays safe this year. One tragedy is more than enough.

Agree as well. Having my onboard vhf radio capable of sending out a distress signal and gps location with a push of a button is a very important safety feature for me. I know this doesn't account for all scenarios but it would likely have saved the guy in the recent incident off texada. But most important is understanding what you and your boat are capable of, and knowing what is too much.

And cell phones do not negate the need for a radio.

So true. I always keep mine charged on the dash. The last couple times that I have taken my son out solo, I put it in the pocket of my mustang inflatable vest. I think most of the handhelds are waterproof these days. Mine is waterproof but doesn't have the gps capability.

That said, if I found myself bobbing in the salt in and did have an iphone in the lifeproof waterproof case, I would be thankful.

I broke down last year and bought a 8 man Viking Liferaft, hopefully never need it but it sure feels good to have it on board...

There is no such thing as to much safety, I have a fixed mount, a handheld, a flaregun, 1 inflatable pfd and one full mustang flotation suit.. and I also keep the distress call procedure card on my dash in case of emergency.. like Sculpin says " safety starts with you! " Also I would recommend an inflatable pfd to anyone who doesn't like wearing a pfd, you don't even know your wearing it and it does not restrict your fishing at all...

There is no such thing as to much safety, I have a fixed mount, a handheld, a flaregun, 1 inflatable pfd and one full mustang flotation suit.. and I also keep the distress call procedure card on my dash in case of emergency.. like Sculpin says " safety starts with you! " Also I would recommend an inflatable pfd to anyone who doesn't like wearing a pfd, you don't even know your wearing it and it does not restrict your fishing at all...
THIS!Used to use my life jackets as cushions.Bought an inflatable and love it.As jeffy said,you don't even hardly know your wearing it.Find myself hauling the boat out,prepping it for the trip home,checking the trailer lights,ect.,and jumping in the truck only to find myself having been wearing the thing on dry land,lookin' like an idiot,for the last 20 mins.lol!

While there are "unsinkable" boats, just because a boat is still floating doesn't mean it's of much use. For many, many boats in recreational use, the most common "capsizing" event isn't really a capsizing event. What usually happens is: 1) the boat takes a wave (or two over the stern) 2) The bilge pumps can't move it out fast enough and even with a self bailing boat, the owner didn't have the good sense to get on the throttle to help things out. 3) The boat, now sitting lower in the water takes a few more waves over the stern and soon the cockpit is full. 4) The boat turtles - e.g. turns over AKA "capsizes" (I distinguish this from a "true" capsizing in which the boat rolls over from a large wave taken on the side of the boat). 5) The foam floatation in the boat (and sometimes trapped air in the bow) prevents the boat from sinking. 6) The former passengers are now outside of their overturned boat and are trying to figure out how to access the life vests trapped inside/underneath and/or how to climb upon a slippery upside down hull to get out of the water. That "unsinkable" boat is not much help at this stage. Sometimes a bow line can be found a used to hoist one onto the boat. Sometimes people can get part way out of the water by standing on the upside down swim platform or engines.

Depending on sea state (height and frequency of waves), the time between that first big wave over the stern and the boat turning over can range from several minutes to 10's of s. It often happens that the first wave or two doesn't seem so bad and the occupants don't realize how quickly things can go bad from there. People often dick around trying to reel in lines, secure rods etc. when more immediate action (often throttle) is required to prevent subsequent waves from coming over. By the time they realize they are in deep, serious ****, they often don't have time to find much less don the PFD or to call the coast guard. My buddy rescued two people clinging to the back of an overturned Trophy in the Puget Sound a few years ago. They spent about 45mins in water that was around 47F and were close to succumbing to hypothermia by the time he pulled them out. The situation was very similar to what I describe above with the extra complication that the guy's boat had been broken into recently. The thieves had removed a round plate in the engine well while attempting to steal the motor. The owner hadn't gotten the boat fully repaired prior to taking it out (the VHF was also missing). He was trolling in winter (Jan I believe), took waves over the stern, spent time trying to get the gear in and the boat turtled. His wife got off a cell phone call and misreported their location as on the opposite side of the island they were near. She hit the water with a life vest on, he hit the water without.

So like others have said, wear that PFD at all times while on the water. Unexpected things can happen and happen fast. Just a single slip while trying to net a fish can put you into the water in a second. Self inflating PFD's are light and comfortable and can be worn without inhibiting your fishing at all. A handheld VHF in a floating case can be a life saver if you have it in a readily accessible location. There are small flares that can be put inside a pocket in most self inflating PFDs. I have one or two of these small flares in each vest. There are really nice, water activated strobe lights that will help you be seen in the dark. I have these on the PFD's also. Finally, for offshore, PLB's are getting fairly inexpensive. I have two on the boat - one on my buddy's person and one in my ditch bag. The ditch bag contains a handheld waterproof VHF in a floating pouch, a handheld GPS and my PLB. At the start of each trip, I put the ditch bag in a well defined location close the helm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have some rules I am going to try and hold myself and crew to regarding lifejackets.
-Wear one always when fishing solo.
-Wear one while cruising (regardless of weather)
-Wear one always in rough weather
-Wear one when fishing in remote areas (no other boats around)

Basically I am thinking it is only "reasonably safe" to not wear a lifejacket when trolling in calm waters with more than one adult onboard and other boaters close by. I'm sure some will say this isn't good enough, but I can tell you with complete confidence that this is doing more than 75% of fisherman in my area do. And is a huge improvement for myself and crew. If I establish some rules, I may actually follow them.

I know some guys will say get an auto inflate pfd and wear it all the time. But what about my wife? I wouldn't feel right without her wearing one, so that means buying 2. And then if we are out prawning or fishing in the rain, or high humidity? Maybe I will get a couple one day, but not yet.

Dave - that's a good improvement for sure. As for the rain or high humidity, today's models of self-inflating life vests are fine in the rain. I've worn mine in downpours many times with no accidental inflation. Most require full immersion of the inflation mechanism in water and many these days are hydrostatic and only go off when the mechanism is 10cm below water. Good ones are around $150 - $200/ea. It would cost you far more than that to hire someone one to do all the things your wife does and the same would be true in reverse for her. :D

I'm off to buy some inflatable PFD's...... 2.....one for the wife and one for me.....

I'm not going to have anybody reading my obit where it says "apparently their lives were worth less than 200 dollars"

and... just because the boat didn't sink doesn't mean we're out of the woods......

plenty of people have died just falling in from a boat that wasn't sinking at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the Double Eagle 176 out to the Hump for the first time last Saturday in the wind, had the inflatables on for most of the day.

Sure felt a lot safer wearing it than I did when I wasn't wearing it.

Dave - the wifey might like a more fashionable wake boarding style vest, which may come a bit cheaper than the inflatable. They also make the wake boarding ones quite comfortable as they are often worn on bare skin, where as my HH inflatable chafes my neck pretty good.

Food for thought.

Back