Tyee QR handle upgrades

I got mine at Pacific Angler....you may go direct to Islander or check your local tackle shops....OR Mike's as noted above. They don't seem like an odd item for shops to stock as Jason at Pac Angler said "you bet" when I called him to see if he had them.
^^ What Pippen said
I took my reels to Pacific Angler and Matt replaced them for me for ~$10 - quick swap of the springs and improvements are massive. My reels are the newer generation with the new handles but I still had issues with the line creep. No line creep since I replaced the springs and better drag control when fighting big fish.

^^ What Pippen said
I took my reels to Pacific Angler and Matt replaced them for me for ~$10 - quick swap of the springs and improvements are massive. My reels are the newer generation with the new handles but I still had issues with the line creep. No line creep since I replaced the springs and better drag control when fighting big fish.
After a bit of calling around, pacific angler is currently out of stock but have a couple dozen coming in a week or so. I ordered two from Island outfitters in vic for convenience. $8 a pop.

Last edited:
After a bit of calling around, pacific angler is currently out of stock bit have a couple dozen coming in a week or so. I ordered two from Island outfitters in vic for convenience. $8 a pop.
Best $8 that you’ve spent this season! ;)
Make sure you put the washers back in tho!

After a bit of calling around, pacific angler is currently out of stock but have a couple dozen coming in a week or so. I ordered two from Island outfitters in vic for convenience. $8 a pop.
I called up Pac Angler today also and asked if they had Islander springs in stock, and the guy I spoke to said he had them in stock. So I said hold them for me I'll be there shortly. I drove down to get them and they were the wrong ones. Apparently, there are 2 springs inside an Islander. He had put aside the small spring for pawl control! So lesson learned is make sure they understand it is the bigger spring used to adjust drag on the spool! Waiting for that batch to come in next week.

Well, the swap is complete, the new Trophy Tyee's are a direct swap for the handle posts, no drilling or dremeling required! Unfortunately, I forgot to put my brain into my head when I put it on this morning and started beveling out the old post hole before checking if the post screw fit. A few minutes into the process I stopped to look at the new post screws again haha, and to my surprise, they fit directly into the existing holes. I was trying to rush through the job and felt/feel like a total bonehead but oh well. Changed over the drag spring, the click spring, and of course put on Islander handles as well. It feels/sounds much better, but I won't be able to tell for sure till I get to Bamfield on Wednesday to drop a line.

All in all a very simple process with the newer QR models. On an even more positive note, I received an MR3 from wife yesterday for a graduation present as I have gone back to school so now I need to only use one of the Tyee's, very ironic timing haha. Both the wife and reel are keepers for sure.

The handle broke off the Trophy reel due to corrosion on Thurs and went to Trotac to get the Islander conversion The parts were 52$ plus tax a bit more than I thought they would be I'm sure when I did the other one a few years back it was only 25$ including new springs

Probably a good price if they did all these things: Drag spring = $ 10-12, Click spring = $10-12, Posts = $ 10-12, Islander handles = $30 (for paddles), $44 for wood laminate, & not sure on price for round Delrin. That's what the prices were direct from Islander.

Reactions: abl
Did the drag spring swap this morning. WAY better adjustability. Awesome upgrade

What size islander posts did you guys use? Of course I look into fixing a broken handle after I left for out of town...
Islander is showing 3 different sizes

Small handle base diameter: 0.44 inch
Medium handle base diameter: 0.55 inch
Large handle base diameter: 0.62 inch

i do have shimano style paddles still that will retro fit onto islander std post's

so for people wanting to upgarde there tyee QR's fit the islander post's and then you have many more options to fit different paddles
or have your own turned up out of delrin ...

Back