qr 4.5 Trophy reels- update.

Island Fish Lifter

Had to restart this thread, couldnt find the old one. I bought two of these units in the spring. I saw Wolf's post about the knob mods. I didnt pay too much attention to it, however, a week into my season, I broke off one knob.. I thought id finish the season with one knob.. it lasted another week and broke off while playing a 39# tyee. Luckily it was ready to be netted when said knob left the scene. I finished the season with a shimano. Anyway, I took the reel to a reputable place here in CR to have the knob upgrades done as I didnt have the countersinker or time I needed. I got the reel back today and the screws were not countersinked enough, and the new knob bases were hanging up on the side edge of the reel. I know if I tried to use it the way it was, It would eventually chafe the line, probably whilst playing a hoggg. It cost me 50$ and I ended up spending two hours repairing it. I ended up modifying a countersinker to fit and grinding the bases.:(

Case in point: watch for sub quality repairs!

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Thats why I did it myself!!! as for my update all I can say is excellent love the new handles had one incident this year with a big spring and a guy who has been on my boat for close to ten years who has reeled in many springs, he basically had a brain fart and pointed the rod at the fish and hung on for dear life then the reel started slapping the $hit out of his had pop knob broke off couldnt believe it I said "REALLY" you know better than that must admit was a bit choked, I dont think any reel or knob would have taken that much abuse with out it failing, the next day he was even brused so you know it was whacking him pretty hard LOL LOL

In closing and the use over many trips this summer would highly recommend these reels.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I think Im going to get two islanders next year. Im finding the drags too sensitive. Theyre ok for me but if someone decides to back the drag off, it usually goes into freespool.

I had about a week of people snapping off fish beside the boat, all big ones during the time when the 50 pounders were caught. By the end of that week, I was getting really mad! The last poor guy, I didnt say a word for about a half hour:( Finally the luck broke when I got someone good on the rod.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I only had about 12-15 days on mine and I like it.....but the drag is an issue unless you are used to it.

I was out with a buddy last night who also bought a couple and just reeling in, I ended up with one of the handles sitting in my hand. :( Fortunately it appears as though it only came unscrewed but that could be a "reel" :D ***** if it just went flying off into the drink. Not sure if some sort of lock-tite type product would work or not to ensure it doesn't happen.

I am far too "machinist" type inhibited to try and do that myself. I can build, fix vehicles and engines.....but trying to do wolf's mod on my own I am pretty sure I'd be buying a new reel or just crazy gluing the whole thing back together. [:I] [:p]

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

Scott. The threads are left hand.. I found with mine that the threads were stripped, so simply re-installing the handles was not going to work, even with locktite. Very poor design. In the end I found that I had to do the mods myself anyway because the guy that I hired to do it made a real mess. Im confident in it now and will do my other one the same way.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Scott. The threads are left hand.. I found with mine that the threads were stripped, so simply re-installing the handles was not going to work, even with locktite. Very poor design. In the end I found that I had to do the mods myself anyway because the guy that I hired to do it made a real mess. Im confident in it now and will do my other one the same way.

Hey Dave....what did you install for handles or where did you get some?

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

Islander knobs. I got them from river sportsman, theyll probably have them at Berry's. Let me know if you need some and Ill get them for you.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Back