Two survive Boat sinking

T

The Fish Assassin

From the T/C.

Two boaters were forced to climb onto a rocky breakwater after the boat they were in filled with water and sank early Saturday morning near French Creek.

Steve Church, a marine controller at the Victoria Rescue Coordination Centre, said the two men had been out fishing in a 12-foot aluminum boat and were returning to the marina at French Creek, between Parksville and Qualicum Beach.

Church described the water as “fairly rough” at the time. A southeast wind was blowing at 10 knots per hour and there was a two-foot chop on the water.

The boat became swamped with water and sank, forcing the men to climb up onto the breakwater. Both were wearing life jackets and did not require medical attention.

“They were lucky. The weather did come up quite quickly and it was too small a boat to be out there,” he said.

The boat was later pulled out of the water by the nearby Coast Guard detachment.

Church said the incident is a reminder for boaters to be cautious at French Creek, where drastic weathers changes can happen quite rapidly.

“The 12-foot car topper just isn’t suitable for that area,” he said

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Maybe they should check the forcast, I know they don't refer to it as a small craft warning anylonger, maybe they should for some of us boaters.

Strong wind warning in effect

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

I was at French Creek Marina for a stop and eat few weeks ago, I saw two fishermen loading their 12 ft metal boat in their truck while the water was rough with westerly winds. It may be them I assume. glad they are ok and alive.

Back