Twins or single outboard

Out of curiosity what would the price difference be between the twin 115's vs a 225 plus kicker?

Not enough information for us to really offer you a good answer. Good start might be the boat manufacturer and model or dimensions. A 24 aluminum can range in weight by 2000lbs depending on manufacturer.. some boats like weight aft, some do not.

Not enough information for us to really offer you a good answer. Good start might be the boat manufacturer and model or dimensions. A 24 aluminum can range in weight by 2000lbs depending on manufacturer.. some boats like weight aft, some do not.
24 ft 8.6 beam Cabin / cuddy 80 gal gas

Conundrum for me :
24 ft aluminum Alaskan bulkhead
Use 2 115 or one 225
Went through a similar conundrum a couple years ago, opted for twin Suzuki 140’s and couldn’t be happier with the decision. The up front cost was not much different, the maintenance cost has been similar to previous boats with a main and kicker and the fuel burn is still very economical. The other benefits of running offshore on twins and trolling in swells and wind are very nice.

Last edited:
I faced this exact decision and went with twins. Economy is still good, handling around the dock is far superior with twins, trolling is more enjoyable with one of the mains, especially in wind and/or chop. Charging amps are far superior on the big engine over a kicker. If one dies you can make good headway with the other (mine can do 26 mph on plane on one engine).

Literally the only downside for me is that with mechanical control engines it's not practical to have rear helm controls for the mains, whereas with the kicker you likely have the controls at the rear helm.

I've had both setups on similar boats. Old boat had single 250/kicker, new boat has twin 115.

Attachments

• 20210424_112013.jpg
    20210424_112013.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20190317_100053.jpg
    20190317_100053.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I faced this exact decision and went with twins. Economy is still good, handling around the dock is far superior with twins, trolling is more enjoyable with one of the mains, especially in wind and/or chop. Charging amps are far superior on the big engine over a kicker. If one dies you can make good headway with the other (mine can do 26 mph on plane on one engine).

Literally the only downside for me is that with mechanical control engines it's not practical to have rear helm controls for the mains, whereas with the kicker you likely have the controls at the rear helm.

I've had both setups on similar boats. Old boat had single 250/kicker, new boat has twin 115.

Is that Cope Walker the 23 or 25?

This has been debated on here many times. No clear winner, pros and cons for both.

If you're looking at newer power with fly by wire controls, setting up an aft station for twins is workable. Not so much with mechanical controls.

One problem that might change your scope is fuel tank output. Need independent dip tubes for each engine. Rhat is if you want it to be transport canada approved and surveyable.

Back