Tuna Talk

I've got a couple swimbaits in the last few weeks, I plan to rig for bottom fish, but I never thought to toss one at an Ably. Might have to give it a whirl. Really hoping enough steam could be gathered to really give it a go at the TOONA SHOOTOUT...we were down for the cause, parked the boat for weeks in BAM, but the weather never came together on the right weekend to go out as a large group. Hopefully this year will be different and Posiedon will settle his seas for a tuna slaughter of epic proportions.

Is there any outfit here in BC that annually targets these as a guided service?? Or is it more of a custom trip that would need some luck with timing, weather, etc. I'm just wondering how they do those big charters right below us in the states.... are the fish just way closer in a little south of us?

Is there any outfit here in BC that annually targets these as a guided service?? Or is it more of a custom trip that would need some luck with timing, weather, etc. I'm just wondering how they do those big charters right below us in the states.... are the fish just way closer in a little south of us?
It's coming-apparently there's an issue taking paying customers past a certain point from the coast so a certain level of certification is needed not a lot of Salmon guys have it yet can't remember the details.

Also it's a very iffy fishery-if the Tuna are close enough...if the weather cooperates...if the guy doesn't have a bunch of Salmon charters booked-that kind of thing.

Seems like it would work if you had a big enough boat that you could spend the night out there....

Few things that caught my eye in that video that are worth comment thinks...

**Edited for my own stupidity. Don't Handline fish unless the motor is turned off...Don't want to bait the water with a missing arm..**

Second point was the kill bags they made use of. Something I plan to invest in. Assuming you drain the blood prior to throwing them in the bag, I bet they are quite effective for the single day harvest.

Lastly, I've cut down a filet knife I plan do use for puncturing their liver to bleed. We had full length (6") blades and in the chop and excitement, there were some 'mis' cuts and I would like to limit damage to the meat. In the video it looks like they had some sort of custom knife used to cut the skin when filletting...a blade just deep enough to penetrate the skin, to make your peeling cuts...something worth looking into.

enjoyed the tour de' tuna!

Last edited by a moderator:
Handlining the suckers onto the boat...heck of a lot of fun, so much so I don't think the other guys on the boat had there chance to do it haha. We used 200 LB mono and I hopped out to the swim deck, swing your arm in a tight cirlce around the mono leader (so it wraps around your forearm 3 or 4 times) and then HEAVE the pig on the boat...worked great and was a fast way to do it. Trying with just your hand, the line slips and its very difficult and painful..wrap around your forearm, swing in an open motion and slam the fish on the deck.

Hey FB what would happen if the fish decided to swim into the prop with that 200 lbs mono wrapped 3 or 4 times around your arm? I don't think wrapping ANY line 3 or 4 times around your arm is a good idea:eek:.

Hey FB what would happen if the fish decided to swim into the prop with that 200 lbs mono wrapped 3 or 4 times around your arm? I don't think wrapping ANY line 3 or 4 times around your arm is a good idea:eek:.

how logic escapes me...

Hell of a good point! Geeezzzz ...having one of those 'f*** what was a i thinking moments' right about now...

"the best teachers are our own mistakes"...thankfully I have old salties like you John, to right the wrong before I make a tragic mistake..

I edited my prior post referencing hand-lining tuna. A foolish recommendation on my part, and wouldn't suggest trying it, in light of Sculpins VERY true comments.

911!!!!!!!!

I have thought about the communication thing big time since my first trip out 50 miles. I decided to do something about it. You have no VHF or cell service past 25 miles so I spend some money on some piece of mind.

I went the PLB route as I often hop on other folks boats etc. and wanted it registered to the person with a flexible change of route, people, or circumstance planning available with these units. I may still buy a dedicated EPIRB that has to be registered to the vessel in the future.

We have gone to high vis rain gear as well for fishing offshore. Nice to be seen if you fall over board.

IMG_2370.jpg

Here is the ACR AquaLink View 406 GPS PLB -350C that I bought recently for piece of mind in case of that emergency call ( I hope to God I don't ever have to use it!).

IMG_2371.jpg

I think the safety stuff should be looked at big time first before anyone decides to go after these addicting creatures.

Cheers,
John

Do the PLB's put out as strong of a signal as the EPIRB's?

Exact same 406 signal. The down side to the PLB is 24 hour battery life compared to 48 hour battery life of the EPIRB. If I haven't been rescued in 24 hours I'm dead.

The big difference is that the PLB's are registered to a user not a vessel. This gives one major flexibility in hopping on other boats, changing your plan routes, people on board, etc.

Let's say I hop on Fishtofino's boat. I can change my profile online saying what vessel I'm on, who I am with, our planned route, etc. It will help locate us that much faster. With a dedicated EPIRB it is only registered to a certain vessel and is non transferrable etc. (great but not flexible). Hope that helped a bit. It is best to go talk with a pro and get the low down. I still may buy a dedicated EPIRB in the future. I am going this route for now.

Cheers,
John

I still think a dedicated EPIRB is the best option for a vessel for offshore fishing. I went this route for the flexibility and the yes the cost. This PLB that I purchased is half the cost of the ACR EPIRB with the view screen. Maybe next year I will look at that unit as well.

This is your life and others we are talking about. You won't be talking to anyone (except buddy boats) way the f*ck out there. Just trying to push the safety thought on anyone even remotely thinking about chasing Albacore Tuna off our great Coast.

Cheers,
John

Awsome looking gear and good idea. Never even thought about the lack of communications out there...

Thanks kelly. I didn't either until after the trip. It get's you thinking once your "out there" ha ha. I'm getting a floater on my marine insurance as well. Would hate to sink the boat and not be covered. For the little extra on the yearly it is again piece of mind.

Cheers,
John

I was digging around in my album from last year and found this little clip. It shows all the rods and the teasers out back etc.

Great clip john

Did you find that one lure/rod hit more than others, when considering the distance you laid out your lure from the boat? I'd say our rods with the shortest leads were catching fish 15-20% more than our outside rods, which we had set further back in the propwash.

Anyone had similar results?

FB