Tuna Talk

It was a no go due to wind and chop. Its a game show trying to get out there when you can. It seems that the Canadian weather forecast will never forecast calm winds right before or when it is happening. They opt to call for 10 to 15 instead. I call it the liability forecast. It leaves one to guess. To many times I have got up on a morning I was considering going but did not because it was forecast to be 10 -15 kn, only to find that is like **** on a plate out there. The days are good and long now so a guy can leave at noon and still get 6 hours easy of tuna fishing. Lots of chances in the forecast this coming week.

Love your drive Birds, I hope the gods give you a chance. I find the same, a liability forecast...better safe than sorry though...

IMGP1168.jpg

HOLY HELL that is an awesome photo.

x2 on jealous. for once, I'm near speechless!

Ok the season is almost over............almost he he.

I have some buddies over on the AAB forum from Cali and Hawaii and they are so stoked that we have been connecting here on WCVI and they are interested in sharing information etc. I told them some guy's have been going out for many years now. One of the guys has been fishing them for like 30 years now and posted up some good links about patterns, eating habit's, etc. (warning major reading). Good stuff for the winter reading and getting ready for next year IMO.

Here they are.

http://cce.lternet.edu/docs/bibliography/Public/118ccelter.pdf

This is a good one for understanding chloro.

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/PFRP/reprints/polovina_zone_2001.pdf

Feather's are huge for albacore fishing.

http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Tuna-Feathers-s/2812.htm

Find the blue sharks and you will find the albacore. Interesting stuff for sure.

http://www.pices.int/publications/presentations/PICES_15/Ann15_FIS_paper/FIS_Kiyofuji.pdf

Here is a good one for how game fish see UV colours etc.

http://albacoretuna.org/

More on colour and very interesting stuff.

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/PFRP/newsletters/Jan-Mar2004.pdf

Anyways that's lot's to read over the winter. I will post up more as they come in.

Since there is no tuna support group in my immediate area I thought we better keep talking about it on this forum. Hopefully all this talk will get more folks involved with this awesome fishery.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Tidal Chaos

I am new to the forum but would like to take part in this fishery; spend alot of time in the bamfield area throughout the summer and have been contemplating making the run. It is good to see that people are starting to talk about this fishery and try to get others involved.

I had heard about the tuna slam on the Sept long week end but never found any info regarding how to get involved; we had a crew and boat but couldn't get the info we were looking for to take part; now I know where to look, we will be in foresure next year and we are looking forward to see the upcoming info about this fishery!

Thanks Sculpin for posting the info you have and made it available for those of us that are interested in learning more; keep it coming for the new guys!

Tidal Chaos

Tidal Chaos,

The Tuna Shootout this year was the inaugural year, the first of hopefully many. It was a small group organizing the event and I think they were a little overwhelmed with the response. Hype started 2 seasons ago but weather put a stop to the show. I think next year will be that much better. I hope those involved in organizing get on planning a little sooner and try to make it something we are all talking about. There is definitely room for improvement, but I think that goes with any event like this in its junior years, especially with the challenges involved in Tuna fishing.

A little marketing and organization of this event will go a long, long way.

I agree.

I was talking with a guy that was fishing the Sept long with Tuna Don and he had mentioned the shootout; we talked to some friends of ours that own the lodge next to TD the week before the shootout but they hadn't heard any more from anyone other than that there were boats going; but nothing more and with limited info we pulled the plug. It would be great to discuss this earlier in the year and get a concensus of how many boats would tentitively be interested in networking throughout the summer on who is planning a trip and such to get people together; not only for the fishing but the safety aspect of multiple boats heading out and looking for the fish. There has been alot of people talking about it the last few years and it seems there are alot of people who want to do it; but no one wants to do the run on there own with limited info. When we talk about doing it; we have enough people interested; but they all want to go out with someone that has done it and been there; it is a big ocean and if you don't know where you are going or the right way of doing things; it makes for an expensive and bad trip; to keep people interested I think and get more interested it would be best to network and plan; it would help with the rest of the organizing and maybe get a key group together that has the resources and know how to turn this into a larger event. Just my thought.

I will be staying tuned to see what materializes over the winter on this topic as I am rigged and ready for next season; now I just need to learn what I need to do to be successful and pass on the info to fellow fisher people!

I agree.

I was talking with a guy that was fishing the Sept long with Tuna Don and he had mentioned the shootout; we talked to some friends of ours that own the lodge next to TD the week before the shootout but they hadn't heard any more from anyone other than that there were boats going; but nothing more and with limited info we pulled the plug. It would be great to discuss this earlier in the year and get a concensus of how many boats would tentitively be interested in networking throughout the summer on who is planning a trip and such to get people together; not only for the fishing but the safety aspect of multiple boats heading out and looking for the fish. There has been alot of people talking about it the last few years and it seems there are alot of people who want to do it; but no one wants to do the run on there own with limited info. When we talk about doing it; we have enough people interested; but they all want to go out with someone that has done it and been there; it is a big ocean and if you don't know where you are going or the right way of doing things; it makes for an expensive and bad trip; to keep people interested I think and get more interested it would be best to network and plan; it would help with the rest of the organizing and maybe get a key group together that has the resources and know how to turn this into a larger event. Just my thought.

I will be staying tuned to see what materializes over the winter on this topic as I am rigged and ready for next season; now I just need to learn what I need to do to be successful and pass on the info to fellow fisher people!

If you haven't done so already, have a read through the "2012 TUNA TRIPS" thread on this forum. That thread deals with most of what you are talking about. I may be a little off base but judging from dock talk I would guess that the magority of private, sportfishing tuna trips originating on the west coast of the island were organized and then reported about on that thread. There's 80 or so pages of great info on the fishery in that thread and enough fishing **** keep people interested. You are right that networking is key and this public forum is the place to network.

Read through that thread and maybe the "Bamfield Tuna Shootout" thread. Great place to get an idea of who, what, when and where.

Cheers,

Thanks for the reading.

Alot of the boats mentioned; I have seen around Barkley; just need to get networking I guess; thus why I joined the forum. Looking forward to the info posted.

I'll definately try to keep the discussion going over the winter.

Other sources for research and to explore are Bloody decks, ifish, and Coastside forums.

I have only been out 4 times but I am soooooo addicted it's not funny;):p:D.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sculpin

Big plans for next year to do this as much as possible and would like to hook up with others hoping to do the same. Lots of learning to do and the off season will be the time to do it; once river fishing is over that is!

I met a fella on the ferry heading home from our Tuna trip this year who was interested in next years Shootout. He had a 32 Luhrs (gat-damn beautiful) and said he had at least 2 or 3 boats interested. I linked him to the site and it sounds like we'd see him next year. Momentum is already building!

I'd run up to BC for a shootout if it were a bit earlier in the year. Mid to late August seems more ideal to me - more good weather/swell windows then (plus I'm not teaching then!).

Going to brainstorm with Jeff and some other guys to plan next year. Should have all the info and posters out in time to book it off for next year.

I'd run up to BC for a shootout if it were a bit earlier in the year. Mid to late August seems more ideal to me - more good weather/swell windows then (plus I'm not teaching then!).

too busy in july and august to host the shoot-out in bamtown,, mid sept to mid oct is kind of necessary... i gottta try this fishery out!!!

OK so probably not in the mood to be criticized over this years event at all.... grrrrr.

Anyhow, personal issues certainly interfered with how much advertising could have gone into this but overall, myself and the others are pretty goddamned pleased with the way it went.

BC TOUGH will have the lead along with Mills Landing, Bamfield Chamber of Commerce and a group of volunteers we will be organizing in the next 6 weeks. This event will probably be advertised more than a lot of you might like, (and I'll get bitched at then as well) but it will be big, good for the community and fisherman that have some balls and want their season extended to catch the most fun fish out there.

Thanks to those who did it, those who are gonna do it.

Seasons done, last couple boats out each hooked 6 fish and they were out further.

Fish are more abundant and closer late September here so that combined with the business of the earlier season combine for our shootouts timing.

See you next year.

Osama

I don't think anyone who attended would possibly criticize the event. It was amazing on so many levels. Thanks again to you Jeff and everyone else involved in getting this off the ground. Nothing wrong with starting small and growing. Pretty good start to what should be a memorable event for years to come.

Cheers,