Tuna Information

Charlie

I have been asked to post the information I have on Albacore.

Okay, here it comes! :)

This does come with a disclaimer! I wrote very little of this. It has been assembled from information gained from others, who know what they are doing... NOT ME! I take NO CREDIT! :D

Now let's see if the upload works? :)

TunaFishingInformation_Page_01.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_02.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_03.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_04.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_05.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_06.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_07.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_08.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_09.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_10.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_11.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_12.jpg

Bob Franko, is probably the most accomplished Tuna Fisherman that I know of!

TunaFishingInformation_Page_13.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_14.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_15.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_16.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_17.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_18.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_19.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_20.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_21.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_22.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_23.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_24.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_25.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_26.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_27.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_28.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_29.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_30.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_31.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_32.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_33.jpg

TunaFishingInformation_Page_34.jpg

Great post Charlie, thanks. I don't know if I'll ever get to fish for tuna but it was a great read nontheless.

If you are interested in the ocean surface temperatures, you might want to look at this! :)

http://las.pfeg.noaa.gov/oceanWatch/oceanwatch.php#

On the left side, look for 'GOES (individual images)','N. American W. Coast' Click it!
On the right side look for "Choose a region:", open the window and choose "Vancouver"
Look down to "Select Output format:" open that window and choose "View in Google Earth"
Right underneath that… Click, "Get It Now"
Another window opens and asks if you, " Click to download Google Earth kml file" Click it!
Follow the rest of the directions!
Wella, your ocean temperatures over layered in Google Earth, directly from NOAA!

So, does someone want to confirm that I found, what I think I found? :D:D

Very interesting read! I have gone tuna fishing only once out of San Diego (yellowfin) and it was a blast! And very similar to the albacor fishing. Very fuel intensive method and needs a very organized crew as once you are into fish it goes crazy for some time and then it goes back to hours of searching...

That is a very informative post. Follow it and you will get fish.

If people get out this summer I would be very interested to read about the fight. I fished albacore commercially for 8 seasons, and jigged them a few times after shutting down on big days. The fight was reminiscent of a dog fish. Maybe it is different if you get them trolling. The big ones could be a little tough on soft hands, but we don't stop to pull them in either. Anyway, when I have the right boat i will be out there sport fishing them because they are delicious. But not really in the same class of sport fish as salmon in my opinion.

The best sport fish I got into off shore was pomfret. Not huge, but VERY scrappy on a sport rod. Never did knowingly get into a marlin of mahi mahi, but they come up too. And, if things are slow, drop a jig way down and try for a big squid. The fight like hell and never tire. And they too are delicious. It you are trolling and 'fish' keep on popping off, and the jigs come in with little clear sharp circles on the hooks, you are into squid. Spin or jig.

Back