Trying To Plan A Little Spring/Early Summer Trip To Find Better Regs

If you go all the way up the inside to Hardy in the spring you might as well go another 15 or so miles up and over to the mainland and hit the hot fishing. Some of the advantage to the spring is not having to deal with fog.
I've done that trip beautiful scenery and fishing it can be a bit sketchy from Hardy to Cape Caution i think its 17 miles,but it can be sketchy from Bowen to North arm it's all in what you are willing and able to endure. We went all the way to Bella Bella from Egmont in a 23ft trophy so its doable.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be spending August cruising around the inside Hornby, Comox-ish with the family. September off the Fraser trying to scrape up what I can with our limited window. March hitting Thrasher, Hump, South Bowen before we get shut down in April. So the question I have is what could I do from April to July with a couple dudes aboard finding fish. I figure I might get hall passes for a couple weekends away from the family but nothing more than a few nights. I would like to try and get around to the other side but also haven't explored at all around Vic either. I don't mind anchoring but finding some moorage for a night or two would take the stress off a little. Cruising is like my anxiety breaking test and at times I get scared of taking that next step further so having a secured mooring helps me get my feet wet. Maybe pulling an anchor once at 4am didn't help lol. Anyways I'm rambling. Where can I go? What would you do? Who's drinking beer with me when I get there?

Remember this is a fish finding mission first and foremost. I haven't ever fished for Halibut on my own so that would be cool.
Looks like your plan and mine are very similar. Fish around our local water till April or May, take the boat to the CR area, leave it there before bringing it back home at the end of August. While the boat is on the island, fish Nootka, Bamfield, and perhaps some new spots a few times with my buddies and a few times with the family. Hoping to learn from this experience and plan better for years to come.

Looks like your plan and mine are very similar. Fish around our local water till April or May, take the boat to the CR area, leave it there before bringing it back home at the end of August. While the boat is on the island, fish Nootka, Bamfield, and perhaps some new spots a few times with my buddies and a few times with the family. Hoping to learn from this experience and plan better for years to come.
I think it'll be the same for a lot of guys. Hope to meet some new friends and explore a little further. Not so bad compared to people that travel across the world for 4 days of this. We're all spoiled.

I think it'll be the same for a lot of guys. Hope to meet some new friends and explore a little further. Not so bad compared to people that travel across the world for 4 days of this. We're all spoiled.
Surround yourself with good and like-minded friends to have a better and happier life.:)

A trip up the inside towards McNeill and Hardy will make your wife and child a lot happier than rolling around on the West side. I have spent 4 months a year for the last several years at Telegraph Cove and there's plenty to see and fish for .

Perhaps you missed this part

“So the question I have is what could I do from April to July with a couple dudes aboard finding fish”

port McNeil during this time period really does not not offer anything different then the SOG really. Still same ****** chinook restrictions with perhaps a chance to luck into the odd Hali but anyone that has not spent a lot of time in the area will find Hali fishing difficult. He doesn’t need to prawn or crab as he does very well locally in Vancouver.

gotta go up to area 11 to have good chinook fishing where you can retain 2 a day. If your goal is to do the whole black fish sound whale watching thing then yeah this place is amazing.

but the chinook restrictions have really killed this area.

Bamfield booked Mid May to the end of Canada Day long weekend. Probably going to go for the tow there and hopefully drive the boat back around. Kind of depends on when the wife plans on coming with the kid. I'll be trying to get over there for two full weeks and maybe another weekend in between. Can't wait to do some exploring on the other side.

And yes I realize this isn't prime time Salmon season but hope to get into a bit of everything. Thanks guys for all your help.

Bamfield booked Mid May to the end of Canada Day long weekend. Probably going to go for the tow there and hopefully drive the boat back around. Kind of depends on when the wife plans on coming with the kid. I'll be trying to get over there for two full weeks and maybe another weekend in between. Can't wait to do some exploring on the other side.

And yes I realize this isn't prime time Salmon season but hope to get into a bit of everything. Thanks guys for all your help.
What docks are you on? I'll probably be at the west government docks father's day weekend!

Well also be around for 5 days on the July long weekend but staying at Barkley sound lodge then.

What docks are you on? I'll probably be at the west government docks father's day weekend!

Well also be around for 5 days on the July long weekend but staying at Barkley sound lodge then.
Mills Landing. Was going to do Poets Nooke but they didn't have power and I figured f*** it might as well be in the thick of it.

Good choice. tons of places to explore. You will probably find that you need way more time then that though. Lol

Mills Landing. Was going to do Poets Nooke but they didn't have power and I figured f*** it might as well be in the thick of it.
That's the west government docks. Hopefully we'll see you there!

Just an FYI, that side is not accessible by vehical so you will have to arrange a water taxi when you want to go home/arrive after your first trip.

I’m going to be there last part of July. Usually stay at Harbourside Lodge but have emailed Mills Landing too.
We will be taking the boat around from North Van. It’s about 185 miles from Vancouver to Bamfield inlet. Typically you are going into weather going there and with weather coming back. Our best time was coming back and did it in 6.5 hours. That same trip going there we hit fog just after leaving Victoria and never saw land till Cape Beal. About 5 hours as we could not stay at full cruise speed. Lots of radar targets as you pass Sooke, Renfrew etc. We usually over night in Sooke on the way. Just anchor inside the spit the leave early next morning for Bamfield. Depending on regs you can have fishing opportunities on the way.
I looked at trailering from French Creek but the cost is about the same and you still have 3 or 4 hours of cruising to get to Bamfield.
Jon I would not take your boat around if you don’t have radar. You could literally encounter hundreds of boats between Bamfiled and Victoria and have a very good chance to hit fog along the way some where.
You will love it out there. So much to see and do and a 100 different places to fish.

That's the west government docks. Hopefully we'll see you there!

Just an FYI, that side is not accessible by vehical so you will have to arrange a water taxi when you want to go home/arrive after your first trip.
I'm sure he will be able to bribe some kind souls with fried chicken for a ride

I’m going to be there last part of July. Usually stay at Harbourside Lodge but have emailed Mills Landing too.
We will be taking the boat around from North Van. It’s about 185 miles from Vancouver to Bamfield inlet. Typically you are going into weather going there and with weather coming back. Our best time was coming back and did it in 6.5 hours. That same trip going there we hit fog just after leaving Victoria and never saw land till Cape Beal. About 5 hours as we could not stay at full cruise speed. Lots of radar targets as you pass Sooke, Renfrew etc. We usually over night in Sooke on the way. Just anchor inside the spit the leave early next morning for Bamfield. Depending on regs you can have fishing opportunities on the way.
I looked at trailering from French Creek but the cost is about the same and you still have 3 or 4 hours of cruising to get to Bamfield.
Jon I would not take your boat around if you don’t have radar. You could literally encounter hundreds of boats between Bamfiled and Victoria and have a very good chance to hit fog along the way some where.
You will love it out there. So much to see and do and a 100 different places to fish.
Will definitely have the radar installed, as low as possible, by then.

Back