Trying To Plan A Little Spring/Early Summer Trip To Find Better Regs

Rain City

Crew Member
Looks like I'll be spending August cruising around the inside Hornby, Comox-ish with the family. September off the Fraser trying to scrape up what I can with our limited window. March hitting Thrasher, Hump, South Bowen before we get shut down in April. So the question I have is what could I do from April to July with a couple dudes aboard finding fish. I figure I might get hall passes for a couple weekends away from the family but nothing more than a few nights. I would like to try and get around to the other side but also haven't explored at all around Vic either. I don't mind anchoring but finding some moorage for a night or two would take the stress off a little. Cruising is like my anxiety breaking test and at times I get scared of taking that next step further so having a secured mooring helps me get my feet wet. Maybe pulling an anchor once at 4am didn't help lol. Anyways I'm rambling. Where can I go? What would you do? Who's drinking beer with me when I get there?

Remember this is a fish finding mission first and foremost. I haven't ever fished for Halibut on my own so that would be cool.

You know the answers.
Boat Mover Company from Nanaimo or French Creek to Port Alberni.
Go with someone else.
Buy a trailerable boat.
Go with a guide.
Any of these will get you to Bam/Barkley Sound/Ukee.
Shorten the August trip to 3 weeks and go for a week.
Leave the boat in Ukee for 2 months and go on weekends. Sublet your slip in Van.

You know the answers.
Boat Mover Company from Nanaimo or French Creek to Port Alberni.
Go with someone else.
Buy a trailerable boat.
Go with a guide.
Any of these will get you to Bam/Barkley Sound/Ukee.
Shorten the August trip to 3 weeks and go for a week.
Leave the boat in Ukee for 2 months and go on weekends. Sublet your slip in Van.
Is Bammer really the only thing open? I'd love to leave the boat somewhere for a month but it's used so often in town when the weather gets nice. Like our patio on the water on weeknights. So yes the towing from French Creek thing is an option but I'd have to go for longer I think. I might just try it to get it done and know what it's like.

Is Bammer really the only thing open? I'd love to leave the boat somewhere for a month but it's used so often in town when the weather gets nice. Like our patio on the water on weeknights. So yes the towing from French Creek thing is an option but I'd have to go for longer I think. I might just try it to get it done and know what it's like.
My neighbor fishes Ukee exclusively all summer drags his boat over in May and brings it home in August. His Grady isnt as big as your Commander but he swears by fishing there and has constant great success. Your boat is very fishy so if I see you putting around im going to start following you around like a lost puppy lol. I'm also down for being a chase boat for misc. weekend adventures always safety in numbers just like to try new spots and get to see more of this beautiful coast too.

Last edited:
My neighbor fishes Bam exclusively all summer drags his boat over in May and brings it home in August. His Grady isnt as big as your Commander but he swears by fishing there and has constant great success. Your boat is very fishy so if I see you putting around im going to start following you around like a lost puppy lol. I'm also down for being a chase boat for misc. weekend adventures always safety in numbers just like to try new spots and get to see more of this beautiful coast too.
Yah man definitely. I'm sure the guys that know the area like to keep it private but power in numbers when you're exploring I say. I guess this is what I'll have to start researching. @tubber called it, I pretty much knew this was the only option. It's actually only a 4 hour run around the bottom if I decided to go that route. Leaving the boat there for a month and maybe bringing the wife and kid out one weekend might not be a bad idea too. Run it there on the first trip with a buddy. Bring the wife out for a trip and then do another trip to bring her back. Would I technically be an island resident then?! :)

Yah man definitely. I'm sure the guys that know the area like to keep it private but power in numbers when you're exploring I say. I guess this is what I'll have to start researching. @tubber called it, I pretty much knew this was the only option. It's actually only a 4 hour run around the bottom if I decided to go that route. Leaving the boat there for a month and maybe bringing the wife and kid out one weekend might not be a bad idea too. Run it there on the first trip with a buddy. Bring the wife out for a trip and then do another trip to bring her back. Would I technically be an island resident then?! :)
I think you get the island status card after 30 days lmao!!

But I am down for some exploration so if you want another boat along mine is a good reliable rig that is meticulously maintained and loved and I have so much gear I could probably open a store lmao....

But I am down for some exploration so if you want another boat along mine is a good reliable rig that is meticulously maintained and loved and I have so much gear I could probably open a store lmao....
Well I guess this will eventually turn into a trip details thread so stat tuned.

I moored in Ucluelet/Tofino for several years driving up from WA. Bamfield is too hard to get to, other locations are too far. Both Ucluelet/Tofino have Govt wharf's & a couple private marinas. Pioneer Boat Works in Ucluelet has the best gear selection & the cheapest fish ice is a couple blocks up the inlet from them; blue building on the eater. Method Marine in Tofino would be my first choice for moorage, gear is not bad & the old Weigh West has ice but not cheap. Tofino has the hottest hippie/surfer chicks & best cinnamon rolls.

I moored in Ucluelet/Tofino for several years driving up from WA. Bamfield is too hard to get to, other locations are too far. Both Ucluelet/Tofino have Govt wharf's & a couple private marinas. Pioneer Boat Works in Ucluelet has the best gear selection & the cheapest fish ice is a couple blocks up the inlet from them; blue building on the eater. Method Marine in Tofino would be my first choice for moorage, gear is not bad & the old Weigh West has ice but not cheap. Tofino has the hottest hippie/surfer chicks & best cinnamon rolls.
Oh I know all about the surfer hippy chicks. From a long lost life lol.

Just bring your rods and gear and rent a boat at Pedder and fish sooke. If you have a truck and camper you can camp at Pedder marina. Also I’m sure you would be able to find some of us to take you out. Beers after always.

Back