Truck advice on new to me truck

The new GM Crew Cabs come with a 5.8 Short Box or a 6.6 Standard Box. The 5.3 is a $1200 upgrade, look for one in the W/T trim to keep costs down. There are some around, pretty sure I saw a few at Tyee Chev here in CR. The W/T has a rubber floor and manual 4x4 shifter on the floor.

2009 Chevy Silverado had it for a couple years, power locks-fail, power windows-fail, tranny cooler hose and steering leak.... Not terribly impressed with the fit and finish, Toyota tundra next time
cheers

2009 Chevy Silverado had it for a couple years, power locks-fail, power windows-fail, tranny cooler hose and steering leak.... Not terribly impressed with the fit and finish, Toyota tundra next time
cheers

Wait for the diesel toyota tundra

Diesel engine when they cost an additional $5-8K at purchase and fuel at ~$0.20/L more than gas? Not for me thanks. I don't do enough hauling or highway km for diesel to make sense. And Tundra already costs $5K more than equivalent domestic truck at most equipment levels. Add diesel and that gonna be one expensive truck.

Don't you have a "towing function" in your truck ?
usual a button on the end of the shifter to drop the gearing for towing.

DROP the Gearing???

what the towhaul function does is locks up the torque converter in lower gears to eliminate slippage when towing, it will also change the shift point and also bring the rpms up prior to shifting. IT does not change the gearing.

Poor terminology no doubt, but changing the shift point means it will stay in a lower gear ratio
for a longer duration between shifts, right ?

I'm pretty sure the Allison transmission on my GMC diesel downshifts (in tow mode) when I'm going down grade and apply brake. It doesn't do this in normal driving mode.

I'm pretty sure the Allison transmission on my GMC diesel downshifts (in tow mode) when I'm going down grade and apply brake. It doesn't do this in normal driving mode.

I have a 2001 GMC with the Allison transmission I believe you are both right and wrong -It does downshift going down hill in tow mode But it also downshifts going down hill if you are coasting in normal drive-you have to hit the brakes 3 times and it will down shift. Try it I don't think it's specific to a 2001 dually

I have a 2001 GMC with the Allison transmission I believe you are both right and wrong -It does downshift going down hill in tow mode But it also downshifts going down hill if you are coasting in normal drive-you have to hit the brakes 3 times and it will down shift. Try it I don't think it's specific to a 2001 dually

Didn't know about tapping the brake 3 time thingy...

Tapping the brake is merely coincedence I believe
here is a great read and explanation on grade braking if anyone is curiuos and how each may be activated
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=1973

Hookin Up, they do take braking into the equation for down shifts. If you are tapping the brakes it will downshfit to hold back

RS, teminology is the key I guess. Gears (Gear ratio) when towing is related to Rear diff (aka 3.42, 3.73, 4.10 etc) The tow haul will down shift the trans and change shift pattern and hold the rpms higher to bring the truck is to a better rpm for towing to prevent lugging and unnecc shifting.

DROP the Gearing???

what the towhaul function does is locks up the torque converter in lower gears to eliminate slippage when towing, it will also change the shift point and also bring the rpms up prior to shifting. IT does not change the gearing.

Bang On ReelAffair.
The Tow/Haul mode makes the tranny smarter but it doesn't change the gear ratio in the rear end. If you plan on doing any towing you would appreciate the lower gear ration in your differential. But the flip side is that as a daily driver you'll be a little harder on fuel.

Trucks have come a long way in 20 years. Hauled my boat from the Okanagan to the Sunshine Coast last weekend. Filled the tank in Sechelt, took 70 litres. Same haul last summer with a 1994 2500 single cab long box, 105 litres for 50% more gas. Had more gear and two more passengers this time around too. Average fuel use last week for the 1000 km round trip was 17.0 L/100 km, or what Americans would call 14 mpg.

I've got 2012 f-150 5.0l v8 6spd tranny. 60k on it and no issues. Out of all the trucks I've driven, it's the only one that the tow/haul function actually does something. I get 11.8 L/100 hwy and 13 city. Would recommend this trick to anyone. Towing 17 ft DE don't even know it's there.

Picked up my new to me truck this weekend.
Found a great deal on 2013 chev silverado with 5.3L

Was hard to find but I'm real happy.

Tips

Right on....awesome choice. You will like the option of extra power than t the little 4.9L models... Huge difference in towing... Mmmm. boat upgrade now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an'07 chev duramax diesel,great package with allison trany-25mpg hwy,tows my 26' skipjack (10,000 lbs) great-10mpg,

Anyone own half ton GMC, Chev or ford 2009-2012 who can offer some feedback?

Thanks

I have an 08 silverado.I bought it new. Its been problem free so far.not the best on fuel, but its a truck right? 450-500 km a tank (90-95 liters). towing its ok. I have a 18 foot boat that isnt super heavy.comfy ride great for the family with four doors.

Congrats on the new truck Tips. I take it the quad fits in the box?

Back