Trotac 2 Day Sale...

Guys, this is straight from the shows website. "Back this February 2015 and in conjunction with Island Outfitters, Canwest Productions is pleased to produce the largest and most successful Boat, Fishing, & Outdoor Show on Vancouver Island to date!" Island Outfitters owns the show. Period. They have hired CanWest Productions to manage the show and bring in some of the space fillers like the guy that sells hot tubs or TENS machines. CanWest sells the space, takes their cut, and sends the cheque to Outfitters.

Outfitters offers space to anyone who wants to attend. They even invited Trotac. There is a proviso however. Any vendor who wants to attend cannot display any product that directly competes with anything Outfitters sells. This is in the agreement that vendors have to sign to get a spot at the show. Last year, Trotac had arranged to attend the show and were told they were welcome show up with a few of their T-shirts and some toilets.

If Island Outfitters wants to pony up, rent the arena, pay for management and advertising, she'll all their crap down there, merchandise the place, and staff the place all weekend, then they can operate the show whatever way they want. I don't think they misrepresent what the show is, but they certainly don't go out of their way to publicize the fact that it's their show exclusively. I just think it would be a better show if more suppliers were involved, but it isn't my show. It's clearly the Island Outfitters Boat and Fishing Show.

For what it's worth, I will also say that none of the above is opinion or hearsay. I have spoken with folks from all parties because I gave feedback on how I thought the show could grow for next year. This post is a summary of four different conversations I had between Monday and today. I hope there are some changes to the show next year or I won't be back. It's just too limited the way it is designed now.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Thank you for your opinion and explanation from what you got out of your conversations. It is much appreciated.

Again, I hope the Trotac folks did well with their sale this weekend :).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its commendable that Campbell has the courage to close TroTac on Sunday. He realizes that His staff have a life (they would work and he would not) and a few extra bucks in the till is not worth it. Thats my 2 cents

This idea silly. Do you really think that by limiting his hours he's doing his staff a favor? Staff WANT hours, they WANT to work - some are part time, some prefer to have Mondays & Tuesdays off. If they were open 24hrs a day there would be somebody willing to work the shifts, people want/need work.

To me it's absolutely crazy that a fishing/boating store would be closed on a Sunday - probably the #1 fishing or boating day. There's a lot of guys who would prefer to do all their business with trotac but if they need a new wheel bearing, or fishing rod etc. they have to go to another store. Every time you force you loyal customer to go to a competitor you give that competitor a chance to steal your customer.

There is no practical argument that shows that closing on Sunday is good for the business, employees or customers.

As for oufitters not wanting competition at a marketing event they are bank rolling, give your head a shake. Why on earth would they lay out $1000's of dollars to produce the event only to have their competitors take food off their tables? They're not putting a boat show on because they're great guys, it's a marketing initiative. You guys act like they are bad people because they run a successful business. Nobody is stopping trotac from hosting derbies or boat shows.

Poppa Swiss,
You gotta be kidding about closing on Sunday. If it's the number one day to boat and fish, then who is going shopping if they are all out on the the boat? If a guy can't wait one day to go shop for a boat part or tackle then he's got a serious problem! I'm so old that I remember that no stores were open on Sunday and Holidays, we all survived! I got a small construction Company, been in business 30 years and we never ever work on Sunday. Why? Cause I believe there is a life outside of work. I've dealt with TroTac since Pete first started it and it was strictly Commercial drivin with the same hours. The family must be doing something right?

Poppa Swiss,
You gotta be kidding about closing on Sunday. If it's the number one day to boat and fish, then who is going shopping if they are all out on the the boat? If a guy can't wait one day to go shop for a boat part or tackle then he's got a serious problem! I'm so old that I remember that no stores were open on Sunday and Holidays, we all survived! I got a small construction Company, been in business 30 years and we never ever work on Sunday. Why? Cause I believe there is a life outside of work. I've dealt with TroTac since Pete first started it and it was strictly Commercial drivin with the same hours. The family must be doing something right?

"Victoria boat and fishing show" is misleading if not all shops are able to be represented.if not an outright lie.
I/o canwest boat and fishing show is the title.as for shopping on sundays? We should all be in our boats at "church"
Not scrambeling to gather gear after poor forsight.

This idea silly. Do you really think that by limiting his hours he's doing his staff a favor? Staff WANT hours, they WANT to work - some are part time, some prefer to have Mondays & Tuesdays off. If they were open 24hrs a day there would be somebody willing to work the shifts, people want/need work.

To me it's absolutely crazy that a fishing/boating store would be closed on a Sunday - probably the #1 fishing or boating day. There's a lot of guys who would prefer to do all their business with trotac but if they need a new wheel bearing, or fishing rod etc. they have to go to another store. Every time you force you loyal customer to go to a competitor you give that competitor a chance to steal your customer.

There is no practical argument that shows that closing on Sunday is good for the business, employees or customers.

As for oufitters not wanting competition at a marketing event they are bank rolling, give your head a shake. Why on earth would they lay out $1000's of dollars to produce the event only to have their competitors take food off their tables? They're not putting a boat show on because they're great guys, it's a marketing initiative. You guys act like they are bad people because they run a successful business. Nobody is stopping trotac from hosting derbies or boat shows.

I often agree with you but not on this one

Poppa Swiss can't agree with you on this either. I know most of the guys down there and they don't want to work any more then you and me(well me anyway). They all have families and lives too. I would bet that there families have the weekends off and they would like to spend time with them. Plus a lot of them like fishing too, and like to fish with there buddies that work Mon-Fri jobs. I think that it is great that Campbell closes Sunday, I mean their open 6 days a week and if you can't get your butt in there on any of those days thats just sad. Besides they been doing it that way for years and it hasn't hurt their business any. I don't think I've ever been in there and it's not busy, plus I go there because of the service. Same as when I go to Harbour Chandler, it's the service.
As far as the boat show I have always thought it was a bit of a joke anyways. If it is truly Outfitters show all the power to them, it's their show let them do it anyway they like. But a real boat show to me is all the venders in town thats why I go to the Vancouver or Seattle show. Takes you all day to check those shows out, not 30 minutes.
The other thing that Campbell did was have there big sale the same day as the boat show and they are just minutes away and didn't charge a dime to get in, plus they didn't have to pack all their **** up and move it back and forth. Plus I heard there prices were better, so who was the real winner there.

This idea silly. Do you really think that by limiting his hours he's doing his staff a favor? Staff WANT hours, they WANT to work - some are part time, some prefer

True, people want to work and you will find people to work a Sunday shift, but whether or not it's worth has a lot to do with WHO would be working that shift. If it's a long term employee committed to their job wanting extra hours, great, but if you have to give the hours to someone who just wants 'hours' and does not have the same level of commitment to the vision of the business, as an owner I would say no it's not worth it. In fact, it could hurt the business. There are lots of people out there working for hours only, one just needs to look at some of the big box stores and the service you get from someone not 'invested' in the company.

People who commit and are invested employees need to be recognized by helping them balance work and their personal lives.

Two cents

I like Trotac.. I shop there. I can't always get there when i need too. Sunday is sometimes the only day i have free.. I work a lot and on Sundays too.. Forgive me for i have sinned.. My business is open 7 days a week..Can't make money with the door closed.. We have a thing called a schedule and have part time employees working and so forth.. Not a big deal if they close its there choice.. As for outfitters its there boat show and nobody stops Trotac from putting on there own boat show or sportsman show.. Oh ya forgot they wouldn't have anybody to work there show on Sundays..

For the record If given the choice I'll go to Trotac, but if I need something on a Sunday, being closed just lost them my business that day. I'm not retired like the old farts, so no I can't get my butt into the store Monday-Friday. But I guess I'm the only guy out there who's ever had a problem with his boat or equipment on a Sunday, where a quick stop for a part could get you out on the water. Maybe one day I can get a boat that never breaks, until then sh*t happens and it's nice that some stores are open on Sundays. Just because you never want to buy something on a Sunday doesn't mean it applies to the rest of the world.

Trotac will certainly be fine if they never open on a Sunday but don't complain about outfitters having a monopoly if your favorite store isn't willing to compete.

By your guys logic hardware stores shouldn't be open on Sundays either then right? Or does this only apply to boats?

wonder how may people would see how the "boat show" is really run if trotac did go one year. play by the rules I/O puts fwd and when a bunch of people ask why they only have toilets at there both, tell them the WHY.

On the Sunday debate... hell ya, I will totally survive. Although there are some times I could have used that store being open on purely a convenience perspective.

Get over it folks.

Some Companies are in the show. Some are not.
Some Companies open on Sundays. Some are not.

You must have something better to do with your time than *****.

Go tie some gear or go catch a fish and report back something worth reading.

Get over it folks.

Some Companies are in the show. Some are not.
Some Companies open on Sundays. Some are not.

You must have something better to do with your time than *****.

Go tie some gear or go catch a fish and report back something worth reading.

I don't think engaging in a thoughtful discussion is the same as bitching.

Poppa Swiss,
It's called "free enterprise" you lastart a business and run it according to your own ideas and beliefs. You succeed or fail based uppn that model, sure adjustments happen along the way that's business. Open or close when you want, run a boat show that caters to your own needs, the market place will support you or crap all over you. That's the fine line of being your own boss. Believe it or not all us "old farts" were young like yourself, worked 5 days then had our own household work to do, we had boats that broke and wanted to max out the enjoyment on our days off. But that's how life is. You gotta ask yourself , Some time more isn't always better. Maybe that's why West Marine is leaving Canada and Target s..t the bed with their model. Hardware stores, I assume you mean HD are more than welcome to be open on Sunday, it's their right as a business. As a contractor i sometimes buy the odd thing there but most of my Business goes to Sleggs on Admirals Road, which by the way is closed Saturday and Sunday.

Hit the nail on the head barrie, with the Slegg analogy. Slegg doesn't need to be open on weekends in Esquimalt if its servicing contractors. Contractors tend to try and not work weekends. But Slegg in Sidney is open weekends because it is trying to capture the home handyman, who does work and shop on weekends.

Not saying any business needs to be open weekends, but if your not open someone else will fill the gap. Look at the rise of Private Liquor Stores? Remember banking hours before ATM's? Think it would work nowadays?

Every private business has the right to set their hours, but if you forget you're business is there to provide a service, then you may end up losing out to competitors or the internet.

Ziggy,
Good point, Ya got me there! Lol. I guess the point I was trying to make was if you lay down your money to start/own a small business then it's your money to loose or hopefully to be successful. But for a small business owner, do Ya need to sacrifice your family life to achieve success? There are always challenges to face and competitors to deal with, but good service, an informed and helpful staff usually ensures the repeat customer. Yes you are right, Everything does change as you scale upward to the big leagues, but we are talking about a successful family business here and the balance they have chosen between their family life and operating the business to support the family. In my opinion, it's impressive how TroTac has changed over the years to service the changing needs of the boating consumer and they continue to be be successful. Who knows maybe Sunday openings are in their future..............? But why change a winning formula?

I believe Trotac is doing fine with their model. The employees that work there are what will keep bringing customers back. They treat you right at Trotac.

Back