Trophy 1802 sending unit replacement

Bonker43

I would like to replace my non working sending unit in my Trophy 1802 but the only way to get access to it is by cutting a hole in the deck. My issue is that I would like to cut the hole above where the unit is located but I cant find a diagrams showing where its located. Presently the fuel tank is full with 50 gallons of gas. Should I drain it before working on it or can I just work carefully around it? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure there isn’t a deck plate somewhere on the floor to access the sending unit? Trophyboatparts.com has downloadable manuals for their boats if needed. They show a deck plate in the motor well on an 1802 walk around and also the fuel tank location.

Did you try grounding the wire? The Guage should go to max. This tells you the sending unit is the fault. Just to be sure. Would suck to cut for no reason.

I had to cut and install a hatch to do this on my old 2002. from what I remember at centre, approx 8" from transom well. I drilled a small hole too look (off centre) then used a 6" holesaw on centre. then installed new sending unit and gasket as mine was leaking fuel. finished with a flush inspection hatch.

Thanks for the replies. As soon as the weather warms up the projects will begin.

As a certified (non practicing) firefighter, I can say a full tank of fuel is safer than one that is almost empty. It’s vapors of gas that are flammable, not the liquid itself, and there is much more vapour in a near empty tank.

Back