Trip across to Thormanby from French Creek

Fisherman Rob

Planning a trip in July over to Thormanby Island to stay in a cabin on Vaucroft Beach. Will trailer the boat (17' Double Eagle) up island from Victoria, and probably launch from French Creek. We plan on launching fairly early, about 8am, to take advantage of the (hopefully) calm morning seas before afternoon breezes pick up. Looks to be about 17nm across, with a pit stop in Squitty Bay on Lasqueti, so I think we could be there in about an hour with flat seas.

Anyone familiar with the area have any thoughts on making this crossing in a 17' boat? As long as weather is fair, I'm thinking this should be doable. Is French Creek a good place to launch and park a vehicle for a week?

Its no problem so long as the weather is good - I often do the run from Nanoose to Sangster and Lasqueti (similar travel as you'd be making across Strait) in our 16.5' centre console and its fine.
Worst part would be the open waters... good news is if its a bit choppy, you'd likely be running parallel to the waves for the most part of the run! enjoy, its a great place to be!

FC is a good launch - dont think there would be an issue with parking there for week other than $?

I do the crossing in a 16' arima every summer. I launch at schooner cove and lots of room for long term parking. Go around whiskey golf if it's active.

You can call Winchelsea Control @ 250-468-5080 and they might be able to help you out. Schooner Cove is a bit closer than French Creek. As has been said there is lots of parking available. I would recommend you lock up the trailer.

32 miles from Nanaimo, brechin point launch. straight shot no whiskey gulf to worry about.
Additional information as to active hours may be obtained from:
•Continuous Marine Broadcast (CMB) WX1 and VHF 21B (listen only)
•Canadian Coast Guard Marine Communications and Traffic Services Centres (MCTS) located in Comox and Victoria
•Winchelseas Island Control VHF Channel 10 or 16

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, checking DND details, looks like Whiskey Golf is south of Ballenas Is, and if launching from Brechin Point, a heading to Thormanby would take you straight through the middle.

So now I'm confused, because on charts there are two areas, one north of Ballenas, and one south. Why does DND only indicate hazardous area WG south of Bellinas Is?

Actually, checking DND details, looks like Whiskey Golf is south of Ballenas Is, and if launching from Brechin Point, a heading to Thormanby would take you straight through the middle.

So now I'm confused, because on charts there are two areas, one north of Ballenas, and one south. Why does DND only indicate hazardous area WG south of Bellinas Is?
Damn you are right I should have looked. I thought you just missed it going from there.

Dave that's the southern area I linked to in my previous post. So maybe the northern area is not used anymore? I'm going to call CC to confirm when I have a moment

Dave that's the southern area I linked to in my previous post. So maybe the northern area is not used anymore? I'm going to call CC to confirm when I have a moment

Im only aware of the one area. Do you have a link to the other zone, or is it just on a chart?

Not uncommon for boats of your size to make this crossing in summer. In fair weather it'll be an hour run plus however long you spend at Squitty. As you have noted, in summer early morning is usually best chance of calm air. From Schooner or French Ck to Sangster is normally more prone to wind than the second portion of the run.

Leeward side of merry island to the south east of thormanby has ancorage, heard there might be fish there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back