Trim tabs or not

Opinions on trim tabs
Do you use them
Auto or manual
Definitely, trim tabs or really, trim tab.
I have them on my boat and use them a lot. Great for trimming the boat for efficiency and speed. When you speed up, there is more torque on the boat and the starboard bow will lift. A gentle tap on the control will bring the bow down. When somebody moves on the boat, no problem you can compensate for that. I lost one of the tabs on a recent trip, the starboard tab. It didn't really affect anything . The port tab is used a lot more to counteract the engine torque and mostly that's what you're fighting. I've replaced that trim tab.
Mine is an inboard, maybe outboards are different but I rely on them.

I always use mine. Mostly just one or the other to even out the ride. Both my batteries and kicker are on port side so i kick the port tab down a hair and bumps it up to ride nice and level

if your boat is a planning hull, tabs are beneficial in most cases. is it absolutely necessary? yes in some boat designs. but i have seen many boats that did not need them at all

Yes on my 185 DE. Mainly to balance out listing from loads/people on the boat. Does help in choppy conditions to push the bow down a bit to help cut through. Indicator is wired into the ignition so mine will auto retract when ignition turned off. Very happy with my Bennett electrics. No ragrets.

Attachments

• A3879D42-FEAF-422C-8172-A91756C6160C.jpeg
    A3879D42-FEAF-422C-8172-A91756C6160C.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for all of your replies and great info 😁
Welcome aboard!

Lots of varied replies proving that different hulls need their own requirements. What do you have for a boat? Do you know what the dead rise is? Are there reverse chines? This question usually turns into a pretty good popcorn thread.

Yes on my 185 DE. Mainly to balance out listing from loads/people on the boat. Does help in choppy conditions to push the bow down a bit to help cut through. Indicator is wired into the ignition so mine will auto retract when ignition turned off. Very happy with my Bennett electrics. No ragrets.
don’t have on my 185 but sometimes wish i did.

If we need another popcorn thread...

@rcranium
Do you have a command bridge?
Is the stern notched?
Where have you mounted your downriggers?
Do you listen to music while fishing?
Ginger or Maryanne?
Braid or SS for DR cable?
Bonked a wild coho or a chinook?
Buthcher paper or aluminuim foil?
Is this good time to buy stock or sell?
Pod her and add outboards or sell as-is?

the list can go on and on....

But yeah, trim tabs are usually a good addition. I have them on my 542 and use them all the time.

Last edited:
I have Auto Trim, I found while it was effective it did not account for how much drag was produced and I got better economy with manual settings. It's no bueno in my opinion, right up there with joystick controls on twins, but ya.....get the tabs, everyone has that one heavy friend that won't sit still

Always trim tabs. The bigger, the better.

Make sure to follow installation directions. All of the tab should be above the bottom and angled up when fully retracted. A tab that drags when fully retracted can have serious negative effects on the hull performance. I've seen lots of bad installs even on new boats from dealers / builders.

Back