Trim Tab Issues

Rockfish

Transferred from another thread on a different topic.

BY TELSTAR26
I see. Yes this has happend to me once I believe coming around whiffen spit on the plane, The boat yanked so yard and keeled over so far I only barly stayed in my seat. I think I also went for the throttle and smacked it down.
But I have wondered if there is something out of wack with my boat when it comes to curning on the plane. If im up on the command bridge(and maby this is the reason) and I start to turn the sharper I turn the more the boat lays over on its side, I understand this is normal, but it leans soo far over it becomes un nerving, to the point were I have and would Never turn all the way one way while on the plane. I think the boat would just flip over. Is this feeling just exaggerated from being high on the command bridge? Or is the keeling over actually considerly worse and dangerous with an extra 2-3 guys (500lbs) on the command bride? Possibly this boats hull/motor/weight balance is all ****** up? Or maby a combination of all three? or is this normal? Like I said in my above anchoring posts, im a rookie with alot to learn!

And yes, when Im on the plan just a quick little tap of the tab button with make a considerable difference.

BY ROCKFISH
Foxsea is referring to a condition which results from a boat with Trim Tabs being over-trimmed when the tabs have been deflected too far. This can results in serious bow plowing as you bring up the power and attempt to bring the boat up on plane. It can also result in what is called bow steer which forces the boat into a sharp turn no matter what you do with the helm and the more power you bring on the worse it gets. In a bad over trim situation the boat is un-steerable until the trim is corrected and If you managed to get it over trimmed at high speed it could become unstable. It can be scary and dangerous.

To correct tap “bow up” to adjust tabs and then correct for any side to side balance issues. Basic rule for trim tabs is to tap the controls in short taps and let the boat react before taping again until you get the desired degree of trim. When up on plane never hold down and keep depressed one of the tab controls. Did this once because like a dumb kid sometimes I just like to see what will happen. The boat keep going straight but in a heartbeat banked severely right up on one side much like what fighter planes do. Pulled off the power and it flopped back down. If you have done it once and are still in one piece, you won’t do it again.

If the boat is shifting hard over to the side it could also be water in the hull, when the boat leans all the water also shifts exaggerating the angle (quickly).... that would take a fair bit if water but I have seen it before

Last edited by a moderator:
Use U'r trim to compensate, make the tabz not B the deciding factor

In ruf'r C'z tabz & trim work in conjunction to land the boat mid ship on the rollerz

KH

Depending on your boats beam and length having a fly bridge will raise the centre of gravity and make it more unstable. Adding a couple of larger bodies up there will only make it worse. I would do a stability test at the dock to check on the hull's true stability. Do a test without anyone on the fly bridge and then another with a couple of guys up there and compare. That should tell you if the boat itself is inherently unstable or if it is the extra weight up top that is creating your heel over.

Back