Transport Canada Inspection

richmake

Just had one of my boats inspected recently...word from transport canada is that any charter boat that is not commercially registered and inspected will be held accountable....whatever that means!
I was told that they will have spot checks happening this year and anyone that is not up to speed with the new reg's will be fined!
Just passing along the info I got.
I for one am glad to see some sort of regulations in this area...it helps make our business more professional and safer for everyone.

Yep, there is still less to go through to take people 20 miles out into the ocean then there is to learning to drive a car. The regs, confused as they are now, are a good thing. I also think that free inspections are good of them as well, to the best of my knowledge, no other government agency does anything CLOSE to that for free.

It's always good to get a good recommendation before you head out with any charter guide.

I was in the Queen Charlottes, and I phoned a guy to inquire about his charter services and his boat. Boat sounded sketchy on the phone, so I went down to the marina to check it out for myself. WHOA, I wasn't taking my family out on that. (This was 3 years ago), I wonder today if that boat is still floating. Try getting that approved. (HOPEFULLY they'd fail it, it needed BIG TIME WORK), it looked very ROTTEN! (I hope these inspections look for more than safety equipment!)

Nothing wrong with old boats, it's just when they lack maintenance!

They are resonable if you comply! We are small pees in the pod! There not looking to shut anyone right down unless the boats a scungebucket or you have been attempting to elude them. RCMP marine unit is enforcing the TC certification and the fine is not small as per the canada shipping act.I was checked while prawning in Mill Bay last week. It is a bit of dough to fork out for Med courses and DOT approved Preservers,etc, yet Overal it is still easier than the CSI on the big Commmercial Fish Boats. I am just waiting for my C # from Ottawa and been given some time to design railings to make the 3 foot mark on the rear Self bailing deck.

I had a stability test done today...everthings a go for thr Grady.
Transport guy that did the final inspection was pretty confident that they will be out with the RCMP this year looking for un-inspected charter boats.....it's not to late to have one done....like I said in the earlier post....makes the business more professional and safe!

Not to stir the pot here, but I totally disagree that this will make safe an industry that has had a great track record to begin with.
Safety inspections aside, I believe it will drive more operators underground and make enforcement even harder.
This is the result of a lobby effort from certain lodge operators to shut down some competition. Nothing more.
Do you realize that if you own a lodge and offer guests a boat with an accomodation package, that the boat doesn't have to comply with any of the new regs.? That shouldn't surprise you.

I do agree with you Blue Orca to a certain degree...eventually the un guided lodge boats will have to comply with certain things as well. I mentioned that very gripe with the inspector and he said he understands the problems and they will hopefully sort themselves out.
We as charter boat captains need to stick together and help each other out when problems like this arise.
As for driving certain operators underground....the inspection is free so their is no excuse!
The only thing you have to do a little research yourself and most will be fine.

Say I just heard for trailering your boat you are required to have at least 2 tie downs over the boat besides the two at the back. any news?? Heard this is new as of last week..

ps Apparently it is due to some guy going off a cliff or something and his boat SOME HOW came off the trailer and squished his truck.

Back