Sold boat -- buyer refuses to register with transport canada to change the registered info

zurk

So i sold one of my old boats but the new buyers said that he wont transfer the registration with transport canada/pleasure craft centre and refused to mail in the completed paperwork (he doesnt want to pay sales tax). i have copies of bill of sale and stuff.
Anything i can do about it ? seems im SOL if the boat is used for running drugs or whatever with the BC numbers on it registered to me.
And they wont update it until the paperwork is sent in by the buyer. tried calling them too.
any advice ?

So i sold one of my old boats but the new buyers said that he wont transfer the registration with transport canada/pleasure craft centre and refused to mail in the completed paperwork (he doesnt want to pay sales tax). i have copies of bill of sale and stuff.
Anything i can do about it ? seems im SOL if the boat is used for running drugs or whatever with the BC numbers on it registered to me.
And they wont update it until the paperwork is sent in by the buyer. tried calling them too.
any advice ?
call the RCMP and see if there is any enforcement they can do before they decide to launch and utilize the boat ?

any advice ?

my understanding is that they will catch up to him in a couple of years, seen people freaking out about this a few years ago when they did a big crack down

The boat is still registered to you. Legally it’s yours and nothing stops you to report it stolen.
On the other hand I may be mistaken and I apologize if I am but there is no tax when you sell/ buy an used boat

Unfortunately there is tax due on the sale of a used boat.
The new owner will not be able to get his boat registered and although
he may be able to provide a bill of sale, he will need both.

Last edited:
The boat is still registered to you. Legally it’s yours and nothing stops you to report it stolen.
On the other hand I may be mistaken and I apologize if I am but there is no tax when you sell/ buy an used boat

how can it be legally his if he has proof he sold it?

proof of ownership and registration i think are two different things. even tho you need the sales agreement to get the licence.

i think the owness is on the buyer not the seller

Last edited:
ive sold it and got cash for it. the boat is not stolen. i gave the seller proof of purchase (bill of sale) and transfer paperwork all filled out.
the boat has BC numbers on it which i registered when i bought it.
The buyer tossed the transfer paperwork in the bin. so he has boat and bill of sale but my name is still tied to the BC numbers.
i just want to get my name removed off the BC numbers.
there is no way for them to know who bought it if he wont put in the transfer form to transfer the BC numbers to his name so he doesnt want to do that and pay tax.

You kept a copy of bill of sale? ICBC trailer that got transferred?

No too much to worry about imo. If the gendarmes come knocking just show em what you got and tell them who, where and when bought the boat.

If the buyer leaves your registration #'s on the boat it will come back to law enforcement or fisheries as belonging to you. A brother in law of mine wanted to look at a boat on Lopez Island, so we ran across from Victoria,went to Customs,looked at the boat and left for home.Homeland Security pulled us over and checked everything and found that he had not registered either to save the tax.After making us go back to Roche,they searched the boat completely for an hour,checked all our ID's ,found a white powder in the bilge (Fiberglass dust) HeHe,they let us go with a warning to register etc..This is a common thing,cheapskates trying to avoid taxes,I'm not sure you can do anything about it other than make sure you keep your bill of sale.I really disagree with the multiple taxes paid on used boats,but have to live with the system.

yes i have copy of bill of sale and everything else. no trailer transfer since there was no trailer just boat.
the deletion thing seems to be some third party company. dunno why they are charging $135 or whatever but they arent transport canada so likely a scam.
i'll poke service canada.
theres no deletion option on the official site : https://www.pcl-pep.snbservices.ca/1001/pubweb/default.aspx?lang=en-CA

You're right, they probably are a scam. heres one at transport canada. $50 fee.

ive sold it and got cash for it. the boat is not stolen. i gave the seller proof of purchase (bill of sale) and transfer paperwork all filled out.
the boat has BC numbers on it which i registered when i bought it.
The buyer tossed the transfer paperwork in the bin. so he has boat and bill of sale but my name is still tied to the BC numbers.
i just want to get my name removed off the BC numbers.
there is no way for them to know who bought it if he wont put in the transfer form to transfer the BC numbers to his name so he doesnt want to do that and pay tax.
You got yourself a looser I guess, he bought a boat and is worried about paying tax on it, oh f… is he in for rude awakening lol, like Scott said just report it the service Canada.legally the bc number on the boat should be in your name , coast guard and Rcmp do ask for it when you get boarded for a check

Last edited:
If you have his name address and id you could just register it in his name, you have the numbers, picture ,etc so a sale of $500 pay the $ 60 and it’s done.
they may even send him the invoice

Back