Sold boat -- buyer refuses to register with transport canada to change the registered info

A registered boat is NOT a licensed boat. As someone who has been through this several times , Craven is right , your only recourse is through Service Canada. Read his post

Report it stolen. He’ll get his **** together when the cops catch up to him.

As long as you have a bill of sale signed by both of you, I’d say your butt is covered. If he abandons it or uses it for illegal purposes you have proof he bought it off you. I think I would contact Transport Canada and inform them you sold the boat to —— and let them start to track him down, once again your butt is covered and it costs you nothing. I would not want a stranger driving around in a car I sold him with my plates on and the same goes for a boat. Make sure the license is transferred.

Unfortunately there is tax due on the sale of a used boat.
The new owner will not be able to get his boat registered and although
he may be able to provide a bill of sale, he will need both.
I agree Scott. I suspect the whole idea is to avoid paying tax and hope enforcement remains lax and they don’t get checked. I’m guessing a lot of people on the water are attempting to beat the system. Sadly that kind of leaves the last owner of record responsible for the vessel, unless of course they have proof of sale.

So i sold one of my old boats but the new buyers said that he wont transfer the registration with transport canada/pleasure craft centre and refused to mail in the completed paperwork (he doesnt want to pay sales tax). i have copies of bill of sale and stuff.
Anything i can do about it ? seems im SOL if the boat is used for running drugs or whatever with the BC numbers on it registered to me.
And they wont update it until the paperwork is sent in by the buyer. tried calling them too.
any advice ?
Maybe this will help ya, just give them a call or email , I would.
Screenshot_20210816-160726_Chrome.jpg

it looks like the numbers expire after 10 years so TC told me it wasnt worth sending in and putting additional effort into fixing it.
effectively the dude is now running expired numbers.
so i'll just keep the bill of sale and sit on it.
FYI never report it stolen if you legit sell anything. its actually a criminal charge to file a false police report.

Back