Transom advice requested

twogone

In 2012 I purchased a 1999 Harbercraft 1625 (and I love it) The boat came with a Humminbird 200DX depth sounder/fish finder. The Humminbird has been a real P.O.S. from the very start; virtually useless in salt water over 200'. I have just purchased a little Lowrance depth sounder/fishfinder and want to install it this weekend. The problem is the connector on the end of the cable that connects the transponder to the unit is too large to fit through the drain hole in the rear transom. I would prefer not to run the cable over the top of the transom because it would be exposed to possible damage there so I have a couple of options. #1 is to cut the connector off (at the display end) and solder the wires back together once cable is installed. I'll bet however that would invalidate the warrenty (and possibly affect the performance negatively). # 2 is to increase the size of the existing hole in the rear transom so the connector will pass through it. This option would require a new liner for the hole and I have no idea where one could find one of those; maybe Harbour Chandler, they have pretty much everything there. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Cheers; Twogone

Get a through hull. Once you go "through" you never go back! lol I know, not the answer you were looking for.

I'm told you can't go 'through' an aluminum hull without cutting a hole in the bottom of the boat. I'd rather cut a hole in a rear transom that already has 2 holes in it than cut a hole in the bottom of my boat. Thanks for the reply just the same.

Ya, you would have to cut a hole. I understand that most don't want to cut big holes in the bottom of their aluminum boats.

Purchase a thru hull fitting that the connector will pass through. Get the appropriate hole saw, or enlarge the hole with a flap wheel. If you use a hole saw, you need an appropriate guide that almost fits the hole to make sure the new hole is centered. I have used dowels wrapped with tape. After you get the hole the correct size install the thru hull and seal it with a waterproof caulk. If the larger hole allows water to enter the boat when slowing down or a wave comes up the stern, you can plug it with expanded foam or one of the kids noodle thingees cut to size.

Purchase a thru hull fitting that the connector will pass through. Get the appropriate hole saw, or enlarge the hole with a flap wheel. If you use a hole saw, you need an appropriate guide that almost fits the hole to make sure the new hole is centered. I have used dowels wrapped with tape. After you get the hole the correct size install the thru hull and seal it with a waterproof caulk. If the larger hole allows water to enter the boat when slowing down or a wave comes up the stern, you can plug it with expanded foam or one of the kids noodle thingees cut to size.

I've found that with some types of hole saws you can actually put two hole saws on the same spindle. If you put one on that is the size of the desired hole and nest a smaller one inside that is the size of the current hole, the smaller one extends beyond the first a little a serves as a guide.

Awsome! Thank you so much (gungadin AND seadna). I will take the connector to Harbour Chandler and find a fitting that it will fit through. A little water passing through a larger hole in the rear transom shouldn't be a problem. When it's a little lumpy out there on the chuck and I'm travelling 'with it' the larger waves often break over that little transom anyway. The holes are there to let it drain out. Once again, thank you so much for the tips & advice. This IS such a great forum! Cheers; twogone (& Dixie)

A buddy of mine brought his harbercraft 1625, (year 2006)over to my place today, so I will have a look tomorrow...Electricians line holes with plastic surround which comes on a roll and so they cut off as much as they need per each diameter hole. cheap like borsch! also some electric connectors, like chase nipples have a plastic liner in them for just such a purpose. maybe you could use one of those?
I don't recommend cutting off the connector! There is probably woven shielding around the small wires of the cable. re-joining woven shielding will be a nightmare! warranty gone!

Run it over the transom and zip tie it in with the cables going to your motor until it is a 90 degree drop to your transducer. No problems so far on my boat and it has been years.
I agree with Goathorns, do not cut the cable.

Don't cut go over transom. If it is humminbird I had tons of problems with mine on old boat. My problems : losing bottom, not reading when I am running I found was from the way I installed it....Follow exactly what it say on install instructions. Since I did that it works perfectly now.

I installed it up too high. Never measured and set transducer angle wrong, and it was too close to motor.

BTW if you have the transducer with open bracket design.... You have to wrap it in electrical tape ( known annoying issue) or you get rooster tail as water loops backs and shoot up through bracket. They have a plug for it now apparently. The worst design.

Through hulls solve all the little problems. Just saying.

Hi to all; many thanks for all your ideas & suggestions, I am still pondering which way to go. The Humminbird 200DX is gone. I have removed it from the boat and if anyone wants it (it's almost brand new) it's for sale cheap! So many folks I have spoken to say they are great for lakes but not so good on the ocean and I'm bloody tired of fighting with it. I had a depth dounder expert view the transducer mount, design, location etc and he said emphatically "that is NOT the problem". The replacement depth sounder/fish finder is a Lowrance and that is the source of my present problem. The idiots that designed the wiring between the transducer and the display put a great big fat connector on the end that requires a 1 1/2" hole. Totally unnecessatry for a connector that fat & robust as it just connects to the back of the display which is normally in a fairly safe & quiet location. Surely the folks that design this stuff must know that at some point the wire must go through a hole in the boat somewhere. Thanks again & Cheers; twogone

Really wouldn't be cutting the transducer or drilling hole bigger. Most go up and over transom with no issues. If you are worried about damaging wire, get some flex wire housing to put the wire inside. If you are set on not going over the transom, try removing the outer screw piece on the lowrance plug. I recall being able to pry it off the plug and sliding it down the wire, where I could then fit the plug end through the hole. Then I was able to squeeze it and turn 90 degrees to fit through the hole I needed to run it to the unit on my dash. my 2 cents

Not sure what the dig deal is with cutting the cable..........its just wire, lots high end units dont even come terminated.

The main consideration is you waterproof your connection (thats the main function of the Airmar splice box) so cut it somewhere that it wont be underwater and dont cut it close to the plug.

If you have a dry area under the dash or in a console you can simply use a terminal strip and save the money on the splice box.

You have all been such a great help with suggestions & advice. Thank you all for your time and consideration, all very much appreciated! Sr SQ's suggestion about a splice box prompted me to ask the Lowrance Tech at Harber Chandler where I might purchase such an item. He said if I cut the wire he can splice it back together without interfearing with the accuracy of the unit and without voiding the warrenty. Apparently he is approved by Lowrance to do it. For me this is great news because if I go that route I won't have to enlarge an existing hole or drill a new hole in the transom. Additionally it will be much easier to thread the lead through the narrow channel leading to the dash. I recall that process being quite a challenge when I installed the Humminbird. Now I just have to remember to pull a cord through when I pull out the Hummingird cables. Thanks again for all your help. Cheers; twogone

Mike's the Man. Again Harbour Chandler comes though

Mike's the Man. Again Harbour Chandler comes though

You can say that again! I'm new to all this; haven't owned a boat or fished for salmon since I was a teenager growing up near Cowichan Bay (and believe me, that was a long long time ago). I retired in 2006 and bought a little boat (16') in 2012. Every time I needed advice to solve a problem either the good folks on this forum or the people at Nanaimo Harbour Chandler have been there with the solution. My first visit there (based on a reccomendation from a friend) I just asked for some basic fishing advice. The big fella there picked out a spoon and a flasher and told me where and how deep. The very next morning I hooked and landed a 32 lb spring. I haven't bought fishing gear or boat equipment anywhere else since! Thanks again for all your help!

Back