Wiring help!

MikePA

I'm installing a nmea 2000 interface between my 2017 Yamaha outboard and Lowrance plotter. I have no clue how I'm going to get the nmea cable through the harness and plastic tube from the outboard into the boat, it's so tight in there already? Any tips? Also I just called Parker marine to confirm where to plug in the nmea connection and they said that you cannot directly connect a nmea network to the outboard but instead to to run a command link hub from the engine first, then connect to it? This is contrary to what I have read online. From what I have seen online the connector pin pictured below is where I would connect?20230414_105538.jpg20230414_105543.jpg

I used some fish sticks to run mine. You can get em from Home Depot. They are flexible fibreglass rods meant for running wires in your house.

I'm installing a nmea 2000 interface between my 2017 Yamaha outboard and Lowrance plotter. I have no clue how I'm going to get the nmea cable through the harness and plastic tube from the outboard into the boat, it's so tight in there already? Any tips? Also I just called Parker marine to confirm where to plug in the nmea connection and they said that you cannot directly connect a nmea network to the outboard but instead to to run a command link hub from the engine first, then connect to it? This is contrary to what I have read online. From what I have seen online the connector pin pictured below is where I would connect?View attachment 91559View attachment 91560
The easiest way may be to pull out the fuel line to give you some room to pull in the cable with the connector on it.
When you pull out the fuel line tape on a couple of pull strings to use for the cable an fuel line install

Got it through with a snake! Can anyone comment on the need for the command link hub vs just connecting to the pictured connector above?

My module didn’t have to plug into the motor so it didn’t need to go through the motor harness like that. It plugged into the command link junction box. It was located at the back of my boat and another near my front helm. Can you post a pick of the interface? Both ends?

Last edited:
I believe you can purchase two different types for Lowrance or Simrad. One plug directly into motor then to NMEA 2000 backbone and one plugs into command link junction to NMEA 2000 backbone.

That square piece in this picture goes into that white receptacle pictured a few posts up, with the cap removed . I think you are right about two different versions.. just suprised Parker marine wouldn't have said this was a possibility?000-0120-37__05400.png

you dont need to do any of that hokiness. just swap out the instrument gateway and swap in a nmea2k plug near your front instrument panel. slap in a 6 drop tee nmea 2k connector and youre good. the yammy engine makes for a good nmea 2k bus. it took me all of 5 mins to do mine, no fishing of wires required.

you dont need to do any of that hokiness. just swap out the instrument gateway and swap in a nmea2k plug near your front instrument panel. slap in a 6 drop tee nmea 2k connector and youre good. the yammy engine makes for a good nmea 2k bus. it took me all of 5 mins to do mine, no fishing of wires required.
How did you connect the engine to the instrument panel without fishing it?

How did you connect the engine to the instrument panel without fishing it?
yammy is the only corporation i know of which spends an incredible amount of money and even produces parts to try to convince you their engine stuff is all some proprietary BS when in reality the engine is an awesome NMEA 2K backbone complete with power.
first you have to go into a state of zen and not believe the yammy marketing.
secondly, you have to convince yourself -- its all really NMEA 2K awesomeness - there arent any proprietary yammy communication protocols.
after that have a look at this old and crappy video which basically shows you how devious yammy really is:

yammy is the only corporation i know of which spends an incredible amount of money and even produces parts to try to convince you their engine stuff is all some proprietary BS when in reality the engine is an awesome NMEA 2K backbone complete with power.
first you have to go into a state of zen and not believe the yammy marketing.
secondly, you have to convince yourself -- its all really NMEA 2K awesomeness - there arent any proprietary yammy communication protocols.
after that have a look at this old and crappy video which basically shows you how devious yammy really is:
Ok, I think the difference is all my gauges were analogue so I didn't have any of that data coming out of the engine hence needing to fish a new connector through.

Ok, I think the difference is all my gauges were analogue so I didn't have any of that data coming out of the engine hence needing to fish a new connector through.
are you sure ? check your gauges. chances are they are fake analog. analog from the outside, nmea 2k from the inside if they are yammys. if you have a 6Y8-82521-80 cable going to your analog gauges with a Y splitter then they are fake analog. specifically this plug:

Attachments

• yammyplug.JPG
    yammyplug.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
are you sure ? check your gauges. chances are they are fake analog. analog from the outside, nmea 2k from the inside if they are yammys. if you have a 6Y8-82521-80 cable going to your analog gauges with a Y splitter then they are fake analog. specifically this plug:
Interesting, the back of each gauge has a grey plug in. 20230416_161640.jpg

Back