Trailer tow hitch pin warning

Drilled my pin and stuck a grade 8, 1.5"x1/4" bolt in it with a nylock nut, unless you have 2 wrenches same size it isn't so easy for someone to walk off with it and you don't need to worry about the clip pin falling out.

I saw those locking pins and i was kinda worried about salt maybe seizing it .. do they hold up . i like that full lock down probably won't
be taking on and off all the time anyways ...
You'd be burying the back end of your tow vehicle in the water before the salt would reach the lock, so shouldn't be a problem. Mine had a rubber cap over the lock for protection and held up just fine until I lost the keys and had to cut the thing of with an angle grinder.

I had one like this and it failed ..... lost my hitch but not while I was towing my boat.
fad8954e9c2c0fd6_Medium.jpg

Did the lock at the end fail or the pin itself?

If you leave your hitch on more permanently wouldn't a grade 8 bolt with lock nut on it work best? or a stainless steel bolt?

Stainless is soft and as the bolt vibrates and spins and is jarred it could shear or become weak; I replace my grade 8 bolt every year at the beginning of the season or when I need to cut it off because it is seized or rust welded together. I have never used a stainless bolt just because they are relatively soft and can shear easier than even a grade 5 bolt. Costs me about a buck when I change it.

Did the lock at the end fail or the pin itself?

If you leave your hitch on more permanently wouldn't a grade 8 bolt with lock nut on it work best? or a stainless steel bolt?

I got my hitch back, as it fell off just up the street, but I did not find the pin. I think the lock on the end of the pin rotted out as I had it for over ten years. That is my working theroy at this point.:rolleyes:

You'd be burying the back end of your tow vehicle in the water before the salt would reach the lock, so shouldn't be a problem. Mine had a rubber cap over the lock for protection and held up just fine until I lost the keys and had to cut the thing of with an angle grinder.

I trailer my boat to a lot of different launches so that dead bolt pin is perfect , someone could easily take the draw and trailer and she's gone ..
Brand new trailer problems never worried about it with my old lemon of a trailer ..

Thanks

Back