Trailer parking in Nanaimo

Matty4x4

Because I cant get the boat trailer on the Gabriola ferry anymore I’m looking for somewhere safe in naniamo that I can leave my trailer for 5-7 days after launching. I was thinking departure bay but hoping someone local can let me know if there is anywhere else. Thanks

Because I cant get the boat trailer on the Gabriola ferry anymore I’m looking for somewhere safe in naniamo that I can leave my trailer for 5-7 days after launching. I was thinking departure bay but hoping someone local can let me know if there is anywhere else. Thanks
Make sure it’s in a secure place as the criminal element is strong here

Is this a one time only thing?
I typically do this annually but usually tow the boat and launch on Gabriola. I missed last year due to house renos but have come to find out that with the new ferries I can’t get my trailer on and off. It was sketchy with the old ferry running.

Ladysmith has a free launch and park. I have left my truck and trailer there for a week numerous times and had no issue. In fact I just got back from a 7 day trip yesterday. It's not that far to Gabriola from there.
As I recall the ramp was a bit sketchy at low tide, but otherwise fine.

Really? You can't take trailers on the ferry anymore?
with the new boats the ramp angles are garbage. They recommend only crossing with trailers or low vehicles at high tide. My dad says his car bottoms out all the time and even with the old ferry I was dragging my boat trailer down the ramp and stuffed my spare tire carrier into the deck and bent the hell out of it.

What kind of boat are you trailering? I’ve pulled a boat on and off the new ferries a few times without issue and without paying any attention to tides

Maybe see how much those little freight haulers would charge you to haul it over on a regular run?

I’ve had that same boat onto the gabe ferry twice, without issue. Maybe you’re trailer is quite different, not sure.
It sits really low. I drug it down the ramp on the rear cross member a couple times. Where do you launch on gabe ?

It sits really low. I drug it down the ramp on the rear cross member a couple times. Where do you launch on gabe ?
If you’re always dragging the rear, maybe you need a hitch with more drop. I have like 8” drop on my hitch receiver to get my boat trailer level.

Or put a lift kit on the trailer 😂

I launch at gray rd, into degnen bay, but my boat is a 16’ aluminum. El verano would be a better launch, but if you’re looking for trailer parking you’ll have a hard time finding it there. The striper I had on the ferry was a friends boat, that I dragged from Gabriola to port alberni.

Feel free to pm if you wanna chat more

If you’re always dragging the rear, maybe you need a hitch with more drop. I have like 8” drop on my hitch receiver to get my boat trailer level.

Or put a lift kit on the trailer 😂
Torsion axles. She sits level and low. The only time its an issue is on the ferry

Back