Handling a Large Boat Alone...Doable?

Sharphooks

I have a recessive gene for social distancing so I’ve been doing that for most of my life, long before C-19 made it mandatory. I’d say I fish alone 99.9% of the time and when buying my boats and trailers, I always figured out a way to launch the boat, run the boat and retrieve the boat back onto the trailer while 100% alone. But that was back in the 19 - 24 foot boat range

I had my eye on a 28 footer a month or so ago. Then I gave up because of the trailer/truck/storage thing. Now I’m bird-dogging that same boat again, thinking I’d leave it in the water, not tow it around, and store it in a marina in a parking lot on the off season

So the question is: can one guy realistically operate a 28 footer in a safe and prudent manner if launching and retrieving on and off a trailer is not part of the drill?

This boat has big twin outboards and the 360 optimus system so I’m thinking I could joy-stick myself on and off a fuel dock and tie off lines while the joystick is keeping the boat tight to a dock. But I’ve never even operated twin outboards on a boat so it’s all conjecture at this point

There’s a 28 foot Seasport in Port McNeil that’s for sale. It’s crazy money but a guy’s allowed to dream, as long as he can single-handedly handle the boat in his dream

What say you guys who own the big boats?

Last edited:
The Wellcraft I just sold was a 26.5’ hull, measured 28’4” to the bracket and touching 31’ from tip of the pulpit to the props so pretty close to the size you are looking at. I launched it and loaded it myself without much difficulty. The problem I had with the boat was it was heavy to trailer all over the country and I wasn’t comfortable with it in the marinas. But as far as loading and unloading even by myself it was not an issue. I found it no more difficult to load and unload than the 20’ boat I had previous to it.

I have a recessive gene for social distancing so I’ve been doing that for most of my life, long before C-19 made it mandatory. I’d say I fish alone 99.9% of the time and when buying my boats and trailers, I always figured out a way to launch the boat, run the boat and retrieve the boat back onto the trailer while 100% alone. But that was back in the 19 - 24 foot boat range

I had my eye on a 28 footer a month or so ago. Then I gave up because of the trailer/truck/storage thing. Now I’m bird-dogging that same boat again, thinking I’d leave it in the water, not tow it around, and store it in a marina in a parking lot on the off season

So the question is: can one guy realistically operate a 28 footer in a safe and prudent manner if launching and retrieving on and off a trailer is not part of the drill?

This boat has big twin outboards and the 360 optimus system so I’m thinking I could joy-stick myself on and off a fuel dock and tie off lines while the joystick is keeping the boat tight to a dock. But I’ve never even operated twin outboards on a boat so it’s all conjecture at this point

There’s a 28 foot Seasport in Port Macneil that’s for sale. It’s crazy money but a guy’s allowed to dream, as long as he can single-handedly handle the boat in his dream

What say you guys who own the big boats?
I do it every day. Rear helm for fishing is a must as it's a bit of a jaunt back and forth otherwise. Docking can be a bit hairy on really windy days but I manage.

Just use every single fender you own down each side of the boat til you're comfortable around the dock and good to go. If you make a deal on this rig, have the owner spend a good few hours showing you the ropes.

Mine is 26' on the hull and I actually don't like it when people try and help, they get in the way to be honest. I am seriously considering going up to a 30' all of a sudden and won't think twice about single handing that too.

Most boats up to about 35ft with twin screws should be manageable for one person. Twin screws will be a lot easier to dock then a single. I would want a auto pilot for cruising though. As far a trailing a bunk trailer that you can float onto and you should be fine by yourself.

I'm am much like you in the way that I love fishing solo and enjoy time on my own on the ocean, freshwater, out in the woods etc very much. I need the alone time in my life and always have since I was a kid. I do fish and travel with friends and family as well but a lot on my own. When I started fish guiding/site seeing chartering it was a challenge for me to concentrate completely on my clients and to be patient with them but I get it done. My preference though is to fish alone or with good friends. Patients is something I am working on while fishing with folks that don't know what's what out on the water lol.

It's easier for me to operate my boat on my own than it is when other friends, family, or clients trying to help me. I have my way of doing things and it works out well for me that way. I'm not a big fan of having a boat loaded with a lot of people so I try to keep my charter trips from having a boat full of people. I learned at a very young age to operate boats on my own and progressed with a larger boat each time I traded up for new ones. I was solo in my first boat in the ocean at the age of 11. My boat now is 30' overall with twin 225's. I have both moored it at marina's and trailered it all over BC to fish different areas. I launch it and re load it on my trailer alone all the time. It will get easier for you each time you do it. I don't have any bow or side thrusters on my boat. When I launch alone I just back it in till it's in deep enough water to float the stern a little, tie a bow and stern line onto the dock with a couple feet of slack in each line, get in the boat, start it up and back it off the trailer a couple feet, get out of the boat and back in my truck to pull the trailer out. I try to back my trailer in the water as close as possible to the dock to make things as easy as possible when launching or taking the boat back out. When pulling out I try to get my boat as close to where my trailer will be when tying up then go get my truck, trailer and back it down to my boat. If things are working as best as they can you can often back your trailer right under your boat as it's tied up to the dock. Just depends on the ramp/dock you are at. And just don't unhook your winch too early when backing into the water to launch your boat. I usually get my boat half in the water before unhooking my winch from it. If you do it too early you risk your boat floating off on you if you back in too quick or hit your brakes to suddenly etc..

Not sure which brands of motors have a "dock" mode on the controls but I have Merc Verado's and I love the "dock" mode on the controls for when arriving, approaching, and leaving marina's, fuel docks, close quarter moorage areas etc.. It protects you from over throttling the controls by only allowing lower rpm control of the engines while in that mode. I've had a couple instances where it's saved my boat from ramming into objects from the throttles accidentally being hit forward. Something to consider when you are shopping for your next boat. If docks have their own bumpers/rubber protectors/tires etc on them then I don't put my fenders out at all anymore. As time goes on and you get more used to it your confidence will grow. Until then the more fenders will make you feel better though like others have said. I'm also a big believer that you can never have too much safety equipment on your boat as well. And when alone or with others it's a nice piece of mind to also have Epirb's/ PLB's on board. Since I fish alone a lot I have a PLB attached right onto my life jacket. I wear my self inflating life jacket 24/7 when on my boat whether I'm with other folks or alone.

I know from reading your trip journals and talking with you that you are a very experienced outdoorsman, boater, and fisherman. I don't think moving up to a larger boat is going to effect you negatively at all. I think it may open some doors for you to do even more exploring which I know you love just as much as the fishing part of it.

These comments are all very helpful, Gents. Thanks!

I’ve never run twins before but I’ve heard docking becomes way easier with them. Never heard of “dock mode”, Chasin’....sounds slick. The rig I’m looking at has twin DF350’s—-not sure I’ve heard of that feature with Suzukis, but the boat has that optimus joystick

Meanwhile, I’ve been trying to wrap my head around traveling everywhere by water with the bigger boat instead of trailering.... I suspect getting to Ucluelet with a 28 footer by water should be way less of a nail-biter then dragging it up that highway.... did that last year with the Orca....kept waiting for the sound of fiberglass against aluminum every time an RV came around one of those hair-pins

I launched and retrieved my 26 SeaSport by myself and now cruise in my Commander 30 by myself quite often. Actually out for 4 or 5 days in the gulf islands right no problem. For me it’s being prepared and know your limits. I have all my fenders out and lines attached and ready to go before I enter a harbour or marina. Study wind and current to see what effect it is going to have on me. Plus it seem most times there are folks who can help. Left Ganges this morning with a very strong wind on the dock and had no less than 3 people help me get away. I have twins and a bow thruster so that makes it much easier.
Mooring bouys can be a bit of a challenge depending on wind and current. Always wear my life jacket when alone too.
The scarier part is if you have some sort of mechanical or medical emergency under way. But I think you have dealt with that on the trips you have already taken. The 28 SeaSport is an awesome boat. I almost bought one and regret letting it go about 5 years ago so just go for it!

Don't lose any sleep over it and go for it. For sure you won't have any issues handling solo given your experience. Handling is soooo much easier with twins than a single that you won't have any problem docking. One that works really well is to not even touch the steering well when you are coming in to dock - just keep the motors centered and use forward and reverse bumping in and out of gear to maneuver. Obviously that's not using the joystick system which should make things even easier.

We have a 30' Pursuit and I've taken operated it solo many times and have yet to make a fool of myself (yet...), and I'm not as experienced as you. Ours doesn't have a bow thruster, but I've never felt the need or desire to have one. When we were looking at repowering I considered a joystick system, but the reality is, docking and maneuvering in tight quarters is so good with twins I couldn't see the marginal benefit to justify the significant cost. To be honest, I don't think I would add a joystick system if buying new even if it fit within the budget. The few times I've seen them in use they sure make quite a scene with the engines revving and shifting. But I could see that some would value the piece of mind that the system brings. I'd be more interested in using the spot-lock/virtual anchor, but remember @BCI saying that that system works much better with DPS drives than outboards.

Fully agree with @Chasin' Dreams that moving up to the bigger boat will only open up doors to new experiences - and more comfort. Sure, you'll pay more for fuel running up Vancouver Island, but that will be offset against the ferries, truck fuel, parking, trailer insurance, launching, etc. so I think the difference is less than people think for a bigger boat.

I grew up with dads eagle craft having twins. I could dock it competently and age 13 or 14. It’s sooo much easier than with a single screw. I wanna see some pics of this beast if you pull the trigger!!!

I think I know what your feeling,I've had the same thoughts,that if I get a bigger boat I will use it less because I don't have someone to help out while docking if needed.My wife would like to go on extended trips up the coast,but realistically that won't happen more than a couple of times a year with other commitments,family etc. I enjoy fishing alone at times too and most of my friends have boats too,so there's quite often no one available.I've stuck to boats under 25 Ft. so far so I can single hand them,but have my eye on something bigger too.I think you'll be fine w/twin outboards ,but I'm thinking single diesel with shaft, so not as manouverable.

Do it. As was mentioned, there are often people willing to catch a line. Plus by planning ahead with cell numbers and vhf fuel dock people, harbour masters, and other boat owners can be on standby on a windy or high current day in many places.

Are you sure you want a boat with 2 of those 350 suzukis? Do some research, they are not the 300 you once owned. They require 89 octane min.....sometimes you just can't get that off the beaten path. High compression, duo prop. Lots of power heads have failed from what I have seen in a short time.

Oh and docking a 30' boat is easy. Twins almost make it like cheating. Used to run 3370 pursuit all over by myself. Now a 31 ocean master its no problem. You will get the hang of it asap. I have even put the ocean master on its trialer by myself.

I don’t have any experience single-handling a 28 footer but I imagine it’s manageable in good weather once you get the feel for your boat. However coming in to a marina in a big wind storm in large boat with a lot of windage is exponentially more difficult. I suppose you could radio the marina operator for assistance in that case.

Are you sure you want a boat with 2 of those 350 suzukis? Do some research, they are not the 300 you once owned. They require 89 octane min.....sometimes you just can't get that off the beaten path. High compression, duo prop. Lots of power heads have failed from what I have seen in a short time.

Oh and docking a 30' boat is easy. Twins almost make it like cheating. Used to run 3370 pursuit all over by myself. Now a 31 ocean master its no problem. You will get the hang of it asap. I have even put the ocean master on its trialer by myself.

I just had the DF350 conversation today with both a boat builder and an outboard supplier. I haven’t heard of power head failures (heard lots about over-heating) but both guys confirmed that without 89 octane you’re basically running a DF325 with that outboard because you’re not getting true Hp .. The outboard supplier recommended I get the DF300 with counter rotating props instead of the DF350, saying the DF300 is not so fussy about the octane and it’s the same power head as the DF350. The boat builder said go for the DF350: worst case would be 325 instead of 350 HP

But I heard some pretty impressive fuel burn numbers of the DF350 on a 26 foot boat....3.1 mpg????

I’m twisting in the wind on what to step up for: the 28 Commander would be an amazing boat, especially with twin Suzukis, but tough to deal with when off the water. Will probably settle on a 26 footer. I can buy new and mount a single or buy used with twin 200 Yamahas. I never knew that a bracket set up for twins will not take a single, and vice-versa—

I appreciate the comments about handling large boats solo....good to know there are guys running 30’+ boats...I would have thought getting boats that size on and off trailers would be a two person deal

Back