Towing Hitches and GTW

Sharphooks

So I’ve been towing a 9,000 lb boat , maybe 10,000 fully loaded with a BW hitch rated for 14,500 GTW

I sold that boat last week and now will be towing a boat that has a dry weight of 10K. Add on 2 Suzuki DF300’s + a Heavy kicker and a tank of gas, a trailer and a six pack of cheap beer and I’m guessing we’re now at 14,000 lbs.

Part of me is saying...get a new hitch that outstrips the weight capacity by a wide margin. Part of me is saying that newer triple axles are well balanced and with EOH, I should be fine with the BW

It’s not so much the cost of a heavier duty hitch....the weight spooks me—- there’s a GenY that would get the job done with 21K GTW but it’s pushing 60 lbs...

What say you guys?

This one is basically new and I’d be sad to see it go

D73B4AFC-D31B-4EF0-B7C6-2DDBDF208226.jpeg

Buddy of mine runs the GEN-Y 21K hitch, it’s heavy but really absorbs any shock very well.Model is Boss GH-1824. No idea of what it’s worth but I’m sure it was pricey

I’m stuck with making height adjustments on my new trailer...not sure the Curt would cover that

I finally just made a move on a Bullet Proof HD254 so I wouldn’t have to dwell on it any more.....22K capacity

I like the welded gusset behind the ball....45 lbs which shouldn’t herniate a disk getting it installed

1CC86872-13EA-4EF9-90A7-50D609FA27A4.jpeg

Personally I’m a big fan of “weight distribution hitches”. I think they really help control the load better.

I’m stuck with making height adjustments on my new trailer...not sure the Curt would cover that

I finally just made a move on a Bullet Proof HD254 so I wouldn’t have to dwell on it any more.....22K capacity

I like the welded gusset behind the ball....45 lbs which shouldn’t herniate a disk getting it installed
Nice, out of interest what's the new hull? 10k dry without engines is pretty substantial. What truck are you towing her with?

It’s the 28 foot Seasport Commander. I’ve got an F250 with the 7.3L gas engine....I haven’t towed it yet...no doubt a diesel would have been a better choice but that 7.3L with the 10 speed is probably one of the better rigs out there for towing if you have a gasser

Personally I’m a big fan of “weight distribution hitches”. I think they really help control the load better.

For what it’s worth:

Is it OK to use a weight-distributing hitch with my boat trailer?​

We do not advocate the use of load distributing hitches on boat trailers. Part of the problem is the concern with brake interference. If improperly adjusted, brake performance could be degraded. The basic premise with a weight-distributing hitch is to transfer load between the frame of the tow vehicle and the towed unit. In effect, it can serve to lock the two frames together. The wishbone design of a boat trailer, in conjunction with the use of a load distributing hitch, places a disproportionate amount of stress on the tongue member of the boat trailer frame. The tongue, already the most highly stressed boat trailer frame member, is then required to perform above its design parameters.

For what it’s worth:

We do not advocate the use of load distributing hitches on boat trailers. Part of the problem is the concern with brake interference. If improperly adjusted, brake performance could be degraded. The basic premise with a weight-distributing hitch is to transfer load between the frame of the tow vehicle and the towed unit. In effect, it can serve to lock the two frames together. The wishbone design of a boat trailer, in conjunction with the use of a load distributing hitch, places a disproportionate amount of stress on the tongue member of the boat trailer frame. The tongue, already the most highly stressed boat trailer frame member, is then required to perform above its design parameters.
Interesting. Never heard that one. Burnaby Hitch recommended to me 12 years ago. I’ve used it sense. I’ve always found it improved my control. When I operate without the dist hitch it doesn’t handle as well. I’ll call Roadrunner and ask Mike his view.

Weight distribution hitches can be tricky with surge brakes, they can make it hard for the cylinder to compress (or make it not compress at all). Have heard a warranty issues using weight distribution with boat trailers as the tongue is not really designed for the loading created by WDHs.

Worth noting, most of the half ton trucks require WDHs for towing much over 5000lbs. Most trucks have two hitch ratings, with and without WDH. The newer diesels have nearly eliminated this but suffered the same issue even 5 or 6 years ago. For example, The 2016 ford 350s are rated for 8500 weight carrying, 19000lbs with weight distrbution. The 2022s a rated for 21200, with or without (the 3" receiver helps).

Have fun hauling that new beast! Wish i had your old one...

I’d always heard weight distribution hitches associated with 5th wheelers, not boat trailers. I didn’t know why until reading that warning today....I’d be interested to hear what your Roadrunner guy says. I know I’lll be towing a boat that is at the absolute max of my truck’s rated tow capacity (which happens to be just about what boat and trailer weigh, right on the nose....14.5K) if a weight distribution hitch is recommended I’m all ears

It’s the 28 foot Seasport Commander. I’ve got an F250 with the 7.3L gas engine....I haven’t towed it yet...no doubt a diesel would have been a better choice but that 7.3L with the 10 speed is probably one of the better rigs out there for towing if you have a gasser
The perfect truck for it. I have the F350 and it's good for towing and hauling

For what it’s worth:

This is from Venture. At least one other trailer manufacturer says similar. https://www.boatus.com/expert-advic...ber/anti-sway-and-weight-distribution-hitches says differently.

Most US manufacturers don't put EOH on trailers, and I could see WD setups messing with surge brakes.

The problem is truck manufacturers used to recommend WD hitches for anything over a certain weight, previous generation half tons 5k (Tundra) and 2016 Ford Superduties tow 8500k without WD. Since I use a hitch extension with my camper, I need a WD to tow my boat and meet the extension sticker weight limit and it tows well with it. When I have the camper off, I tow without WD unless I want the extra tongue length for a low tide. I prefer to follow the truck manual over the trailer manufacturer's recommendations. Good reminder to slow the f.... down regardless when towing big loads.

You are fine with a 7.3 since they are 2017 and newer and have a much better regular tow rating. Guys running half tons have to make a decision based on their brand of truck towing guide. If you care about payloads and recommended towing it's a huge rabbit hole of time and money. Look for the towing guides/commercial towing for your brand and year, they continue to get more and more complicated. Don't trust a car salesman to know the towing capacity (they will often quote the dual rear wheel for 1 tons or the Weight Distribution max for the highest trim line for 1/2tons and SUV) unless he shows you it on paper or is on this forum ;)

Ford has a program now in their distributorships. You plug in the year, engine type, 4x4 or not etc etc, king cab or not, and it spits out the payload and towing capacity of your rig.

Mine came out to 14K on the nose for towing. I really didn’t want to step up for a different truck so that was good news....this country is law suit crazy so even if your truck tows something fine, if you got into a highway situation with a rig that was over-stripping its tow capacity you could get keel hauled in a civil suit whether at fault or not. So good to know when your truck manufacturer makes that representation that you’re within limits....meanwhile, it’ll be interesting to see how the truck pulls all that weight....def have to try and keep fuel tank down to half or less

Big fan of the 2800 commander. We’re going to need pics of it

Ford has a program now in their distributorships. You plug in the year, engine type, 4x4 or not etc etc, king cab or not, and it spits out the payload and towing capacity of your rig.

Mine came out to 14K on the nose for towing. I really didn’t want to step up for a different truck so that was good news....this country is law suit crazy so even if your truck tows something fine, if you got into a highway situation with a rig that was over-stripping its tow capacity you could get keel hauled in a civil suit whether at fault or not. So good to know when your truck manufacturer makes that representation that you’re within limits....meanwhile, it’ll be interesting to see how the truck pulls all that weight....def have to try and keep fuel tank down to half or less
100%

Published numbers for a given model don't represent every variant.

The Ford truck I have on order for next year has a published max bumper tow weight of 24,000 lbs - which seems unreal to me for conventional towing - but dive into their towing guide and find the tables with engines/gearing/wheelbase/options you get a different number. With my variant I'm limited to 18,200 lbs. That will work for me with room to spare, but that's a nearly 25% reduction from the face value numbers. Payload will be another limiting factor, I'll find out when the truck comes what I have, but I'm expecting a lightly optioned 1 ton will leave me lots of room.

Towing overloaded seems great when it works, until you have a problem and you are exposing yourself to liability. Plus you may wreck your stuff or hurt someone.

Last edited:
Back