Tofino or Ucluelet?

Fireant11

We're planning a trip in late June or early July and will be bringing my 23' North River up from the Seattle area. We went to Campbell River last year and want to try the outer side of the island this year. I'm looking for some advice.

We want to fish for Chinook, Coho and Halibut. Ideally, we'd like to be able hire a guide for a day to show us around and where to fish without having to charter on their boat. (Is that possible?)

Would you recommend mooring the boat and staying at a motel in Ucluelet or Tofino? Which has better fishing (without having to motor a long way to get there) / more options for good fishing?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Mike

Like Sculpin said both are good, both having access to inshore protected waters as well as fishing offshore on the banks. That being said, there are now quite a few more restrictions on the inshore waters around Tofino than there are in Barkley Sound on the Ukee end. Tofino has a few nicer restaurants and shops (i.e. if non-fishers in the group) but accomodations can be significantly more expenses as Tofino's a lot more popular tourist destination, particularly in the summer. On the topic of accommodations, there's a big difference between June and July in both towns for price and availability. If you are looking for July, your options are likely a lot more limited planning this late in the year and July is peak time (I book the house I stay in for my June and July fishing trips a year in advance). Can't speak for Tofino as June may be considered part of peak season rate-wise there but many places in Ukee don't consider June the high season so it's an affordable month. Availability off moorage in July is also more limited, lots of availability in June but in July I'd suggest you call ASAP for either end.

If you choose Ukee, make sure to head to Pioneer Boat Works to buy some bait or tackle and take a look at the chart they have marked with all the offshore bank locations. They'll also have fairly good info on where the bite is happening both inshore and offshore but for up to the minute info best to hit the docks and cleaning tables with a six-pack. A shared cold beer always results in the best shared info! Not sure about suggestions for hiring a guide that will go out on your boat but the fishing on the banks is not that complicated - spoons 4-5 feet behind a flasher or various green/glow octopus or needlefish hootchies 30-40" back one side down in the mud so you hit bottom every now and then the other in the mud too or in the water column depending on bait and fish marks on the sounder. Spoon and hootchie size is "match the hatch" - ask around what size bait is predominant or clean your first fish right away to see. Two-years ago the needlefish in June were huge so we were stacking two needlefish hootchies. Lst year they were predominantly small, so one was fine. Inside you're dealing with a lot of rock and some specific locations at times so that may be the best investment in a guide.

Salmon University website has a bunch of pretty good info on fishing Barkley Sound and charts w/ trolling tacks outlined for the most popular spots.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll love the west coast as catching fish is just a bonus to the beautiful scenery and all the wildlife out there!

UkeeDreamin

look into harrisons cove lodge,, food , fuel, awesome lodge... google it... a guide could come on your boat for a full or half day or jump on.....ask for blair :}

shoot me a pm if interested or any questions

Last edited by a moderator:
The restrictions in the Tofino don't kick in until Aug 1st.

There are way less boats fishing out of Tofino then Ukee so less pressure

Thanks for the inputs! UkeeDreamin, great info thanks! I've checked with both Island West and Marina West for availability and prices. Haven't fully decided yet ... need to talk with my fishing buddies when they return from business travel. I'm leaning towards Ukee because of the Salmon University write-up. Looks like a lot of options there for salmon and halibut.

exactly the same fishing in Ukee and Tofino, and by the end of July the Ukee and Tofino fleet are generally fishing the same spots. All the Ukee fish have to swim by us first. Either choice will give you great fishing. Marina West is great because everything you need is in one spot. Moorage, bed and beer.

IMO Tofino has more protected water to fish and fewer boats to contend with when the weather doesn't allow you offshore.

Tofino is, in general, pricier (food/accommodations). Its easier to find moorage on the public dock in Tofino than Ukee, but you pay more for everything off the water. Tofino is more of a tourist town, with some GREAT restaurants. Ukee is more of a working town with good restaurants.

If you're hardcore fishing, maybe Ukee. If you have family & want more choice off the water, maybe Tofino. But they're 1/2 hour away on the road, so you can access either.

I can't remember the name of the place in Ukee but there's a hotel/motel just walk up the hill from the boat basin that had a pool/hot tub/gym and nice clean rooms. The weather was crappy there for a couple of days and it was nice to take advantage of that. In Tofino there is a wider selection of accommodations.

I've spent summer's in both, and this year will choose Tofino again because of the easy access to more protected & fishable water when the weather is bad.

Well, we're headed to Ukee! Made reservations at the Whale's Tail for Jun 27-July 1. Thanks for all your inputs!

Mike

Not sure what you paid per night but if your looking for privately owned properties below is a great site with lots of large rentals that will sleep 6 - 12 people.

Click here--------> Private Ucluelet Vacation Rentals

They will take shorter stays you just have to call but I think 3 nights is minimum.

Good Luck!

Back