Tofino for a rookie??

LouDogII

Hey all,

I'm going to Tofino with the family next week. Mainly for a kid's surfing week but I was thinking of trailering my boat from Courtenay. Would a Campion 542 (18') and a skipper with little west coast boating experience be asking for trouble?[:0] No offshore stuff, just thinking of touring the inland waters, dropping crab traps, jigging for ground fish (I'll check the regs and RCAs)and trying to find the hot springs I heard about. I'm interested in salmon fishing, but I am guessing I'd have to go outside for that.

I don't know Tofino at all, is launching/parking a problem? We're renting a cottage a few minutes outside Tonifo, so I'd just launch and park and then trailer back to the cottage at the end of the day. Are there enough navigable protected waters to make it worth while? Is there any crabbing close by?...I don't want your spots, just a yes or no would suffice.:) I heard the floods and ebbs are pretty strong between islands, I've got reliable main power and a decent kicker, but I don't need any exciting adventures. I have the safety gear, digital charts, radio et al, and I'll pick up a paper chart to study if the general consensus is to giver 'er a go.

Any links or info would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Scooter.

stay inshore unless weather is really good. Fish over by Catface. Sniff around Weigh west, see if they fish inside and ask them to suggest some areas. They are great people.

JD

Thanks JD...maybe I'll give it a shot. The Tofino harbour looks a little sketchy on the Mapster charts, I'll get a paper chart and study it real good.

Scooter

There are two places I would recommend for "inside" fishing. One is Wilf Rock (referred to as the Glory Hole) and Blunden Island. From the Tofino Harbor, the Glory Hole is a closer run and protected most of the way. The run to Blunden is longer but protected waters for much of the way. Both areas you are fishing in the ocean and both are exposed and can get rough if the winds blow. However, most of the time they very fishable for a boat of your size. My suggestion is to have someone in Tofino show you on your charts where both areas are and the right way to get there. You might want to stop in at the Weigh West like Tomic Time said and ask someone there to show you those areas on your charts. By the way, Cat Face is right on the way to Blunden.

Slabby

Agree, talk to the guys at Weigh West. Also it is the west coast and fog is always lurking. So carry a GPS and mark your way points as you leave the harbour so you follow them back in if the fog rolls in. There is also good fishing just outside Hot Springs Cove.
Remember pick your days for the trip there.

Hey Scooter, I have the same boat, the 2005 model the first year with the redesigned self bailing hull. I'd have no hesitation using in around Tofino or Ucluelet and taking it offshore within reason when the weather conditions permit. Remember to listen to the Marine Forecast before heading out, and to adhere to early mornings, or after dinner trips as the wind lays down for the day. Winds will generally pick up about mid morning and lay down again after dinner if no systems are coming (SE'ers) or High Pressure ridges builing (NW'ers). I lived on that side for a year and frequently took my 14 ft'er just outside Ucluelet and to Wilf Rock when conditions permitted. Look at what Weigh West runs for Fly Fishinh for Coho, you have way more boat than that. The channel out of Tofino towards Catface is the worst (shallow right out of the Harbour) and there are some rocks near the Weigh west, but there are Channel Markers everywhere. Take the boat, it's a great area to explore.

Stop in at our Tackle Shop and we'll set you straight on all the info you need. Fishing is great on the inside and your boat is fine for the entire Clayoquot Area, aside from offshore and the weather that can shut out much bigger boats than yours.

Jay's Fly and Tackle
564 Campbell St (overlooking Tofino Harbour)

Good points..and Jay has offered local help, pretty hard to beat that. Sydney inlet where the Springs are is a great family trip and you can troll for chicken Hali and Springs across the inlet mouth also Drag a Tomic plug in 602 or herring.. There are some quasi inside spots near Blunden that I have caught springs at also IF the outside is bad. The Tofino harbor chart, while expensive is maybe worth it. Deadmans pass while well marked might be best studied on a chert vs a small plotter screen, esp as others have said in fog. LOVE Tofino :) You will have a blast.

:DWow, thanks everybody. I really appreciate all the info. It's a done deal, I'll be bringing the boat and I'll stop into both shops and pick up the recommended supplies. I'll be there Sunday 15th until the 23rd, if you see a white Campion called Co-Skipper (she was named 'fore I got 'er and wife says it's bad luck to change it:()..hail Scooter on 16 or 9. I imagine there's a pub in town, and I'm willing to trade suds for stories.

Cheers
S

There's decent crabbing two minutes out of the harbour just in the main channel to the 'outside.' Just don't set them out in the middle where they'll get in the way or drift away due to the currents. 30-50' deep off of Tonquin beach is OK too.
Used to live there and miss the easy access to good fishing. Have a great trip!

Hey all,

Just a quick update, rookies can do 'er in Tofino!![8D]

First day we got a pail full o' dungeness, a couple big rock cod and two nice springs[:p]. Second day (today)we (my wife son and I) limited out on coho to 8lbs:D. Couldn't be happier.

Talked to Jay Mohl at Jay's (Clayoquot Ventures) Fly and Tackle. He's a great fella (didn't make fun of my ignorance), he steered me in the right direction and his shop has all the riggin' ya need (including guides. I met one on the dock with his guest's limits in springs plus a few coho and halibut to boot, great fella too). Keeps up like this I'll have nothing to do the last four days...the fishing is great out here guys.

Scooter

Scooter,

Glad to help you. Hope others with their own boats (large and small) realize that the Tofino area is not too complex to learn.
The quality of fishing definitley helps, along with some local advise, it is pretty easy to hook up.
N.B. A really good wave of big Chinook have showed up in the last few days offshore, many breaking 30.....

Jay

Back