Tofino and Ucluelet Outlook and Reports 2011

3rd week of August

Thinking of heading back to Tofino around 20th of August.

Is that too late for Springs in that area?

Should be fantastic:cool:;).

This one was caught August 23rd 2010 midway between Tofino and Ukee out on the banks.

IMG_0696.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Welch50-1.jpg
a 52 lber on Aug 20, 2010. Caught with 2 other Tyees that day.

Seans50.jpg
Sept 3, 2010....... 52 lbs as well

As you can see from other responses, the 3rd week of Aug is not too late at all, we had over 10 years where we were booked a year in advance for that time more so than other dates. The focus has shifted slightly towards earlier dates due to strong mixed stocks and recent/current inside Chinook Regulations, but the opportunities have been excellent during that time for some of the largest Chinook of the year for the Tofino - Ukee area. We often start to see some of the really large Whites that often continue through mid September...

Large Spoons and Plugs fished in the top 80 feet of water 8-12 miles offshore....

-Huge stock of Tomic plugs and spoons on hand in our shop for those in need.

Different day out there yesterday......Saturday was as pretty well as good as it can get for weather and fishing but Sunday it dropped off considerably. You actually had to work for your bites. Strong NW Weather system on top of us for the rest of the week so good thing there are lots of Coho and Springs on the inside.

Camped in the Broken Islands for Friday and Saturday night (fed about every mosquito on the island) and ran out early to South Bank for my first time. I was a little cautious with my 18' runabout, but the weather was perfect so we made the 14 mile run from our camp. We got out there around 630am, and there were already 30 or so boats in the area. The springs fought really really well, including one that circled the boat so I ran around the bow and had to pass my rod under a downrigger wire, but we ended up landing him. Never have I had such good runs from mid-20's springs. Absolutely insane. After filling our limits for the three of us, we went in to Ucluelet where we met IronNoggin as he was offloading a sh##t-ton of fish for his customers. We had some wobblies and he showed me around his boat. That thing is incredible, and if I was looking for a charter I'd hit him up for sure.

Sunday we ran out again, caught a few, but ran in early as the wind was picking up and the fog was getting dense. Filled our limits closer to shore, although it was quite slow and the fish were smaller.

Caught em in the range of 80-120', on 6" Big Slut (blue with dots) I got from Holmes (thanks bud!), 6" Roscoe from Zurtro (like the lure, don't like the small hooks or the small swivel, but it seems to work just fine as rigged). On Sunday when overcast we switched to a UV 5" white/yellow coyote, 5" Money from Zurtro, and big white glow hootchie which worked well. The plugs we used didn't work for us.

The coho were thick! I had the 6" Rosco dangling just in the water, and before we even fired up the engine, one had hooked itself and started spooling off line. Most were wild, though. A lot of the springs we caught were hatchery.

We also saw a few orcas, humpbacks and grey whales.

work shmerk, get on it,lol, btw i should have the info you requested pretty quick here, by 4pm anyway;).....holmes*

and ya where is your nootka report derby?lol:p

Should be able to get it out to night..Just have to say..... Unbelievable.....:)

Myself, Lucky Ling and Dad made the trip out to Ukee for Sat and Sun. Saturday we limited out fairly quick fishing roughly around Turtle head, including a #29 -
probably 30 with the blood. 6" blue matrix without flasher, and a 5" Tomic Mike with a purple haze flasher seemed to be the hot items. 90-110 ' of water. Sunday was slower for sure and we had our best hits on the same Matrix but much deeper 130-150'. Tried some doctered up Tomic plugs but no luck. Great weather and awesome fishing, just to bad my buddy who joined us had a rough day --pretty green hahaha, cut the fishing time short Sunday.

Attachments

• 100_1332.jpg
    100_1332.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_1338.jpg
    100_1338.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 117
Friday was okay at Turtle head but amazing at Outside South. We went back there and the ladies loaded up on Saturday on calm seas. It seemed like a good idea at 5:00 am to run to Rat's Nose on Sunday, ended up being a bit nasty. Mixed stocks of coho, pinks, feeders and the odd bigger one out there. Overall we released lots, got two 27's and 4 hatchery coho and had a great time.
On day one my buddy outfished me badly with his orange/glow flasher and 5.0 watermelon coyote while I worked through my collection of #7 and 8 spoons. My wife got the first fish 45 seconds into Saturday on a #50 6" Tomic plug. Then I managed to give the fish one last bonk, misfired and cracked it into 2 pieces. Oops. The dressed fish had some pilchards, but also small needlefish in 'em, which explains why my newly aquired Clayoquot Candlefish spoons from Jay's worked well also. The fish at Rat's nose were eating herring and krill. We caught fish from the the too slow to get it in the clip depth, right to the bottom. Cohoes 0-50, Springs 20-205.

Nice Report Tubber

Man , been a while since i ventured out to Rats , nice ta here reports , hopefully ya dragged up a few hali as well ,
I myself have also damaged a little gear here and there , really sucks when ya do it to the dialed in lure , in the heat of the moment ,
ya always want ta bonk the crap outta the fish ,and get her in the box , i now take a little time , pull the hook out carefully while still in the net, as shes
takin a nap on the floor , assures me that the lure gets down to perform again , then !!! let the deck hands beat the livin ba Jeezzuzz out of it..
inta da box... : ) keeps everyone entertained and involved ,,,,,

cheers

FD

Hi FD, I didn't spend enough time on the bottom at Rat's Nose to get a Hali. My wife is pissed. I think I saw Osama gaff one through the fog. It was rough and windy and as a guest I didn't want to lose a ball. Plus the extending boom on my side is rusted at about 36" and I didn't want to risk breaking that with a wrench either. The wind was turning the boat pretty quick, bringing the wire too close to the kicker especially if we both were farting around with gear or snacks and nobody had a hand on the wheel. I did get a pop off and a 20lb spring the 2 times I did send it down. I actually had the hook out of the fish, but failed to get it out of the net before smashing it. I'll give it some epoxy and test it at the bottom of the lake for leaks before my last trip Aug 12/13.

I read and heard about fishing dropping off considerably on Sunday. Since that time I haven't read much on whether it's picked back up or was still spotty. Anybody have any recent reports or heard any recent reports?

Weather and sea conditions were definitley a test for the guests today. Swell was pitched up and short sets, then it blew a bit after the mid day tide. Original gale warning for Tofino area backed off today, but it blew hard enough..

Chinook fishing was steady but not what we would consider Hot or even really good but we managed approx. 15 Chinook encounters for 6 hours of fishing, landing all that we wanted in the 18-26 lb range. One of my boats stayed an extra hour after we headed for inside waters and it lit up pretty well for larger average. Matt on "Right Hook" landed one Tyee and a couple more pushing that class in short order.
This was all at Portland pt which doesn't normally fish this well through late July. Heisen bank is the normal go to for this time frame, and there is no doubt some good fish out there but have been saving the run time with good action closer to the beach.
Halibut has been good for sure, with many of the spots from Long Beach to south of Raphael producing well for 20-50# average.

Inshore Coho has been very good inside Clayoquot, with steady action on light gear and Bucktails.

I was inshore yesterday fishing two rods deep and a new Bucktail pattern I tied up, for three triple headers and numerous doubles in a tight little spot I like in late July. Lots of fun for 12-18 feet of water..
Our inshore boat hit numerous Coho on the Fly today and 1 Chinook under 20 lbs so it could be considered very good to excellent. Admittedly having a hard time keeping up on the vise lately with our custom fly patterns and Bucktails being as busy as it has been.

More soon.

J.

Back