Tofino and Ucluelet Outlook and Reports 2011

Hey J......was just talking to Morgan and he mentioned where you will be staying; we are usually about 200 yards down the beach from there.

Call the concierge as I think there is in fact an "interpretive" center right out where you'll be.....and wandering along that beach is a great walk. Get on it early in the morning so the kids can get the sand dollars before the "late risers" come down to pick them up!

There are some decent little hikes you can do too.....there is one back towards Long Beach where there is an old bomber crash in the hillside. There is another hike you can take into the "blow hole" which is good...but lots of good shorter hikes all over the place.

You could take the boat cruise to the Hot Springs.....it's a nice calm ride....or even better.....go check out Cougar Annie's!! :cool: (it's not a brothel or bar :p )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_Annie
http://www.oceanoutfitters.bc.ca/annie-07.html

Not knowing how old your kids are.....I'm just chuckin' out ideas.

Hey J-Global...

How old are your kids?

Girl 12 & boy 6. They are a lot easier to please than high maintenance wife... lets say old enough to have a girl that's 12...

Thanks for the input, every bit of info helps.

chartreuse Clayoquot Candlefish Spoons
Is there a pic or link to these? I have an open slot in one of my two new tackle boxes. I "need" at least two of these even though we'll be fishing the big stuff next week from Ukee. I plan on checking whether or not my wife still appreciates me by having her come by the shop while we fish and they cruise Tofino. I could just ask her, but then I wouldn't have anything to fill the open slot. The girls get to play all the fish on the day they do come out.

Why isn't this thread a sticky???

I just flagged it:). Let's see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a pic or link to these? I have an open slot in one of my two new tackle boxes. I "need" at least two of these even though we'll be fishing the big stuff next week from Ukee. I plan on checking whether or not my wife still appreciates me by having her come by the shop while we fish and they cruise Tofino. I could just ask her, but then I wouldn't have anything to fill the open slot. The girls get to play all the fish on the day they do come out.

Hey Tubber, We do have a few in stock to show and provide for your box...The image below might help a bit to show what it looks like.

J.

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

Hey J-Global...

As other guys have said....there is plenty for the family to do around both towns.

In Ukie....I took my niece here last spring and she loved it. http://www.uclueletaquarium.org/

Lots of beaches to explore....places to wander around in town.....I think there is another museum or "interpretive marine center" of some kind in Tofino but I am yet to go there. May be one of the "tofinos" can confirm.

My young niece (5 at the time) from Winnipeg had an absolute blast taking a surf lesson with Surf Sister. She has been talking about it for for the past 15 months. I was worried about her being cold (in May) despite the websuit and everything but she thought it was absolutely awesome; the instructors were great too.

How old are your kids?

The interprative centre is in the Park @ Wickaninnish beach and it's awesome.

Nice catch Crabby,

Glad you were able to get in on the action here!

Leaving tomorrow for the next 4 days of Killing it off Ukee! If your looking for a cold beer we are at Ukee Campground, first site on the left behind the fence across from the office. Will be on ch 68 give us a shout! Gonna be epic! Big pichard spoons and Plugs is all we'll be dragging! Brother just got back 2 days ago, limits everyday for 4 people, back at the dock each day by 10am latest. Biggest 30lbs smallest kept 21lbs. Lots of teeners released and they got all their Hali's too.

SWC

"Brook"

Fished Sat/Sun @ Turtle Head (Inside South Bank). Sat lots of teenagers - ones kept were 18-22 pounds - all reds. Sunday some bigger fish showed up - got one 33 - majority of them whites. Heard Monday quite a few 30's caught off the Turtle Head. Hope that helps.

What was the biggest Salmon for the Tofino Classic?

This is from Capt Josh's thread on the Tofino classic

Congrats WINNERS!!!!!!!!

CHINOOK SALMON WINNERS! Largest Salmon (tie) 34.55 lbs: Anthony Kelly & Shaun Karp (Congrats to Lance and Carmen who guided them into these beauties); 3rd place 34.25 lbs: Mark Kosick.

HALIBUT Largest Halibut 79.9 lbs: Matt Harbour (Team Pelagic baby!!! Whoop whoop!)

COHO SALMON WINNERS: Largest Coho 9.6 lbs; Sean Peach.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?16513-Tofino-Saltwater-Classic-Results!!!

One more sleep. On the ferry tomorrow, fishing Friday-Sunday. What's the word? My spoons and plugs are mostly sporting sharpie dots. Hope to find the pilchards shallow like last year. Anyone in Ucluelet need anything from PNT? Happy to help.

Might see you out there Tubber. Tailout and myself roll out 4am Friday with are crews, if you see "Tailout" or the "Surf Dancer" say hi. We will be staying down near Pill Pt, but will be going off shore a few days if weather permits.

Back