To go Aluminum or Fiberglass?

Yeah, until last year i hadn't fished salt water in BC anywhere else than Tofino since 1986 so i was talking about our area. Not familiar with Renfrew at all.

Also, there are 3 in Tofino now that i know of

1 is a 32 Northwestern, 1 is a 30 ft Weldcraft and Kelly's (which i can't remember what he got)

I'm still happy with my Hourston....it crushes the ocean and it burns 10 gals/hr
Like some have mentioned before I am not to worried about fuel, the amount I paid for my glass boat compared to similar size aluminum will put fuel in my tank till I die lol

Well if you go fiberglass, add a keel guard. I did this and it works really well. Also, you can use a clothesline anchor system to make it easier to anchor off the beach:
http://navigatorjoel.blogspot.ca/2011/11/clothesline-anchoring-revisited.html

A bungee anchor system might be easier if you are only on lakes and don't need to deal with changing tides.
I got an anchor buddy, and it works great, although, at 50' it is a bit short when you factor in tides. Still have to keep a close eye on things depending on the beach you're at etc. Still better than anchoring and swimming, and better than getting beached and stuck!

For a lake though, it would be perfect, no tidal worries :)

I've seen several aluminum boats melt in fires

Honestly, unless you get a properly built heavy built aluminum boat.. they are not great boats imo. Flashy bells and whistles don't make a good boat. Don't make em fishy either

I'd disagree. I love my Alum. and will only buy another Alum if the day comes that I choose to change things up. You may not like Aluminum which is fine, but does not make them "not great".

There are pros and cons to aluminum & glass. It does not make one good, or one bad, just different tools suited for personal preferences and uses.

Last edited:
I have yet to see an aluminum boat keep up to my Hourston when its rough out. There are no tin guide boats in Tofino

Oceans West (Ucluelet) runs aluminum:

As does Charter Tofino

Suuhana Charters Does

I am sure several others also.

Sure, glass probably makes more sense for a guide, but guides are not typically beaching their boats, or trailering and launching at shallow launches.

Last edited:

As does Charter Tofino

Suuhana Charters Does

Sure, glass probably makes more sense for a guide, but guides are not typically beaching their boats, or trailering and launching at shallow launches.
Exactly and not all of us live on the ocean, for me in the Kootenays, hardly any docks, I spend many nights tied up beached on not nice sand. I will never buy another glass boat. The versatility of my aluminum boat and the weight difference whenever I do head to the coast is a big decision maker as well.
to each his own, it’s your money.

Some really great, experienced and detailed answers on here already.

Short version: costs and practicality are the deciding factors for me. If you need to get onto a beach on a regular basis (and different types of beaches) - then it's aluminum hands-down. and for any work boat that's treated rough - aluminum again.

Cost-wise, glass boats are cheaper and more than adequate for live-aboards, cruising and trolling boats.

The propulsion unit is also a factor in choosing what is available both new and used - age and reliability being factors there.

As does Charter Tofino

Suuhana Charters Does

Not one of those outfit have been around more than 2 years. I was referring to the 35 years I guided in Tofino.

I’m glad you like your aluminum boat but premium glass boats don’t need $5000 shock wave seats.

Last edited:
Not one of those outfit have been around more than 2 years. I was referring to the 35 years I guided in Tofino.

I’m glad you like your aluminum boat but premium glass boats don’t need $5000 shock wave seats.
5000$ seats, wow, you need to shop around pal
Oh here we go. This will be shutdown.
run what ya brung…. To each his own
Either way definitely underpowered hahaha

Owned both and what really matters to me is finding the right well-built, well-maintained boat regardless of material. Corrosion happens on Aluminum and delamination happens on fiberglass, but both are rare on a well-built modern boat. How many people do you want to take out on the water and for how long?

Set up alerts on Facebook and Craigslist/kijiji and be willing to lock in a possible purchase with a deposit, but sea trail and get an inspection first. You already have a boat so don't rush into the upgrade or you might regret it.

I quickly looked at Harbour Chandlers site and 2 S5 bases @ $1000 each plus 2 Corbin seats are over $5000. On sale. Guess they may be cheaper elsewhere

I try not to just throw stuff out there without some minimal research

Sorry if I offended anyone with my humble opinion

B
I quickly looked at Harbour Chandlers site and 2 S5 bases @ $1000 each plus 2 Corbin seats are over $5000. On sale. Guess they may be cheaper elsewhere

you run Corbin seats in your Glass boat? Still 3000$ definitely not offended by your humble opinion just do not agree. Again, lucky that you live relatively close to the ocean and a nice big, heavy, glass boat works for you, not the situation for all, but to base my decision on seats is...........silly, 3000$ for seats for either type is a lot of money, many different more affordable seats bolt on to suspension bases.

B

you run Corbin seats in your Glass boat? Still 3000$ definitely not offended by your humble opinion just do not agree. Again, lucky that you live relatively close to the ocean and a nice big, heavy, glass boat works for you, not the situation for all, but to base my decision on seats is...........silly, 3000$ for seats for either type is a lot of money, many different more affordable seats bolt on to suspension bases.
No, i have a leaning post on my center console

You‘ve priced out static forward facing seats. If you include the Shockwave swivel base it’s another couple grand for the pair. I priced them out a couple of years ago and just couldn’t justify the cost at close to $5K each after tax. Besides, my boat is fibreglass ;)

Hey trophy, just wondering if you have the same opinion now? I thought I seen you had recently bought a new glass boat..possibly a Pursuit? I was just also looking at someone selling a 2625 aluminum Kingfisher who replaced it with a 28' Pursuit. Thanks
ya , i wanted twins. i wanted NWAC.. i settled LOL, on the 2870 as it had brand new suzuki power. all new rigging. when a 28-29' in alum is around 225 to 280 k... i paid 155 ish and still may sell it. i do like it though!

24' Eaglecraft Talon.
You have to be good on the trim tabs, but economic and no need for suspension seats for rough water travel at 20 kts.
This discussion always makes me laugh.
And yes, I have a bad back with herniated disc from years of bad posture throwing leadline over the stern.

Back